The Lotus Cars Community banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
9,150 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
One of my wheel studs broke off, so now I have three studs and one bolt on that particular hub. Any selling wheel studs? I could use a replacement and some spares.

·
Registered
9,150 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks. These obviously are different from any other wheel stud because they have to be screwed in from the front.

·
Registered
1,320 Posts
I believe I have a few sitting around at home from BWR. I'll check when I get there and post some pics to make sure they're correct. If they're what you're looking for, I'll ship them to you if you cover the shipping.

·
Registered
9,150 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I believe I have a few sitting around at home from BWR. I'll check when I get there and post some pics to make sure they're correct. If they're what you're looking for, I'll ship them to you if you cover the shipping.
That's where mine came from too, so yes, I'd love that would obviously cover shipping and then some. Let me know!

·
Super Moderator
2,844 Posts
Here are the studs I have:

wheel studs.jpg

The ends accept an Allen key to tighten them into the hub. Just let me know if you want them.

·
Registered
1,320 Posts
These are the ones I have. Yes, I know the pictures are terrible...sorry. :( That's a camera phone for ya.

If these are the ones you need, just PM me your address.

·
Registered
9,150 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Dan-than you so much! Brennon, I really appreciate the offer. Your whole set with acorns is worth a lot more than shipping costs, but I appreciate your generosity. BTW-installing those things is a snap. Let me know if you ever decide to do it and I could offer help. If you lived around here I'd come over...

·
Not the admin anymore
11,953 Posts
Doesn't it seem like the end that goes into hub would be longer.....for such a crtical part? Although, I guess if it's going to break, it's going to break regardless of how many threads into the hub it is. :shrug:

·
Super Moderator
2,844 Posts
Doesn't it seem like the end that goes into hub would be longer.....for such a crtical part? Although, I guess if it's going to break, it's going to break regardless of how many threads into the hub it is. :shrug:
If you take a good look at the hub flanges on a car, they are only about as thick as the the short threaded end on these studs. I'm pretty sure they make them this short so they don't protrude past the hub and possibly damage the hub carrier from making contact with it. As long as the threads on the stud make it through the hub flange, there is no further strength to be added by having the threaded area any longer. I do agree though, at first glance they do appear to be rather short.

BTW Jer, the studs are on their way to you.

·
Not the admin anymore
11,953 Posts
I didn't realize the hub was so narrow.....thanks.

·
Registered
1,832 Posts
I've had a full set of studs I got from BW that I've been sitting on now for some time. They just don't look strong enough to me so I've been apprehensive of using them. Has anyone ever seen any fail? Especially during Auto-X (that thing some of us do in parking lots)? I have contemplated modifying the hub so that I can use standard press in studs as well, but haven't been all that motivated to do it so far...

·
Registered
1,320 Posts
I've had a full set of studs I got from BW that I've been sitting on now for some time. They just don't look strong enough to me so I've been apprehensive of using them. Has anyone ever seen any fail? Especially during Auto-X (that thing some of us do in parking lots)? I have contemplated modifying the hub so that I can use standard press in studs as well, but haven't been all that motivated to do it so far...
Never had any fail, but had plenty stripped on the Elise I had.

·
Registered
9,150 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
I've had mine in the car for three years now, and just had one fail. It did not fail on course. I logged a ton of run between Pro Solo and solo and have nearly 30,000 miles and the one failure.

On that failure, I can tell you why, too. When I changed wheels that one lug nut was loose. I do not know why, but the one got loose. When I re-installed the wheel a few days later, it snapped off when i tightened down the lug nut. It was clearly metal fatigue, certainly from the strain of a loose lug nut. What I'm saying is it wasn't the stud's fault, it was mine from poor maintenance. I have full confidence in the studs.

·
Registered
9,150 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Yeah, it seems shallow but in my case of the failed stud, it broke off in the ungrooved section that experienced the high stress and fatigued. The small threaded part remained in the hub and had to be reverse drilled out. So it's all good, Tracy.

·
Registered
753 Posts
I have had studs in many of my cars and I can tell you that just using the allen key to tighten them is not going to be enough torque to hold them for the long haul. I suggest as does many a race mechanic to double nut them and torque them down to 5lbs over what the wheel torque would be.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts