The Lotus Cars Community banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Premium Member
434 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Wanted to buy Wheelarch Liner fasteners exactly as linked below. If you have a few extra laying around let me know so I can take them off your hands.

09 Plastic Fastener, liners retention
SKU: A100W6391F

Lotus Garage - Wheelarch Liners

·
Registered
1,623 Posts
I bought some from LotusGarage along with a new wheel arch liner. It was a complete waste of money, it fell out again within 100 miles. The fastener design is faulty.

·
Registered
841 Posts
If you buy the same kind of stupid fasteners that fell out in the first place they are just going to fall out again.

Use zip ties.

·
Premium Member
434 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I have zip ties in some spots but zip ties don't work in all spots. So if you all don't use the fasteners you got any to send to me?

·
Super Moderator
6,817 Posts
If you're avoiding ordering new ones from LG because of their shipping charges, touch base with them and they'll usually work out something more reasonable. Or, just call Justin at Fox Valley and he'll get them to you for a reasonable price with reasonable shipping.

·
Premium Member
11,306 Posts
Everyone I know uses well-nuts, which do not fall out. buy locally easily.

can't remember size right now, but search will find them.

And, yes, if the stock fasteners fell out already, can't expect replacements to be any better....

·
Premium Member
434 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Like these?

·
Ticket Magnet
1,055 Posts
Those Well Nuts are nice, but maybe not what I would prefer.
I just put in a tilt kit and talked to my motor pool guys at work about gettting something different. They had some nice alternatives that are similiar to our wheel arch liner fasteners (WALFs) but instead of a metal screw, thay have a permanent push in wedge thing (sorry for being so technical). I got some good ones at a large hardware store we have here but they recommended the automotive paint store. I am going there today to see about some additional style for the interior panels. If you like, I'll take pics of each style and post them.
The OEM WALFs are the WORST type I have ever seen.

·
Registered
841 Posts
Yes, but they have to be the correct length and diameter to accommodate the fairly thick amount of substance they need to squeeze together.

These from McMaster Carr, when paired with a 1-1/8" long 10-32 screw and a fender washer of some kind, will do a good job of squeezing the mudflaps and the wheel liner to the car's body work. I use blue loctite on the screw.

Rubber-Insulated Rivet Nut 10-32 Thread, .312"-.643" Material Thick Range
McMaster-Carr

I use zip ties through the front wheel liner holes that go into the oil cooler. I prefer them because they are easier and quicker to service than a fastener. Takes 10 seconds to put one on, 2-seconds to snip one off.

·
Ticket Magnet
1,055 Posts
O. K. Here is a pic of the variety of "buttons" that I have tried. I bought one other that is not pictured that is the same as the "Real Deal" but is longer and will work for thicker applications.
I replaced the four behind my seat. No more visible screws and they are much more pressure positive. To remove, a screwdriver is simply inserted under the button in the center using the groove on either side of the collar. No more trying to unscrew as the whole thing rotates or simply doesn't catch a thread.
I really wasn't sure how well these might work. But when I inserted the first one into the panel and it took all of the slop out, I was smiling. When I went to my fender and simply pulled out the OEM with the screw still in it and then installed one of these, I was thrilled. Much better.
About $1 each. I had to buy in bulk but it was worth it.

Attachments

·
Registered
841 Posts
R4racin,

I have a couple of those plastic blind rivets you're showing. They are indeed very excellent and very secure. They are also a real pain in the butt to remove. I swear multiple times trying to wedge a screwdriver beneath the center pin to lift it back out.

Because I don't enjoy stabbing my hand with a screwdriver every time I want to change my air filter or patch a hole in my wheel liner, I don't use these on any pieces that I remove often.

But, they do indeed work very very well.

·
Ticket Magnet
1,055 Posts
Which is why, as you said, they need to be the correct length. I tried removing them. The one that was VERY tight going on was VERY hard to remove. Good point.
Just looking at the difference between OEM and the one I used for these two applications, the picture does a great job illustrating how poorly the OEM works. There is just no wedge occuring when the OEM screw is installed.

·
Registered
1,837 Posts
I quickly realized that the oem fasteners can not be used a second time. Always replace with new fasteners, and you will not have a problem.

·
Older but getting faster
523 Posts
Well nuts.

Well nuts.

Well nuts.

Oh yeah, and well nuts might be a good idea.

...or try well nuts. :p

·
Ticket Magnet
1,055 Posts
Well Nuts can be a good in some applications.
While I don't have more than personal-vehicle experience with plastic retainers, I do with Well Nuts and other utilitarian retainers on race cars. The well nuts are great unless you want aesthetically pleasing - like in the interior. They can also permanently "mushroom" over time and then have to be creatively removed or the head cut off to get the parts apart. Thay are also rubber so can help dampen vibration.
A place for everything and everything in its place!

·
Premium Member
434 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
parts not longer needed I ordered some well nuts ;-)

·
Registered
1,623 Posts
I quickly realized that the oem fasteners can not be used a second time. Always replace with new fasteners, and you will not have a problem.
False. The original liner from the factory fell out at the track. It got trashed by rubbing against my tire. I replaced it with a completely new liner and all new fasteners, and those fell out in 100 miles (and I ruined the new liner I just paid $50-60 for). The design is faulty. I think I'm going to go with well nuts.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts