The Lotus Cars Community banner

21 - 40 of 56 Posts

·
Registered
7,116 Posts
wow... just wow - they posted that on the corporate website?! ....what Lotus needs now is someone really good at Branding, PR and marketing to get out the hole they have been digging themselves into, and flaunting it? thats the part i don't get - flaunting that you you are pathetic? why do that?.

...but where would they find such a person?

this is just very high school, but then again have you read the lotus magazine? the epitome of high school'ness.. so it really shouldn't surprise. from the people that ANNOUNCED my auto signature...

<insert facepalm>

danny is so far in over his head, has a total lack of any leadership, and has demonstrated such incompetence at what was presumably his core competencies... the sooner these ass hats are gone the better Lotus has a chance to survive, i just hope its not too late.

·
Registered
489 Posts
Just curious,

Do you enjoy your Lotus?
Do you like seeing Lotus in F1 again?
Would you like to see a new Esprit on the road?

Yes for all the above for me.

I don't know if Bahar had done a good or bad job, all I know is that he was able to get folks to give him lots of money to try and make Lotus a major player. If they end up making fat heavy cars with automatic transmissions because it sells, who cares as long as people are buying them and it keeps Lotus racing. That's how Lotus is going to get better in this space. The Fat heavy automatic will fund the light faster cars that you and I will buy. To me, Racing is in the Lotus DNA. Chapman sold cars so that he could keep racing. I bought my Evora so that I have a car that I can take to track days and shuttle my kids to school. This is my second Lotus and I'll keep buying them regardless of who runs the company.

:coolnana:

I am excited that Alex Jobs is running an Evora in the American Le mans. I like driving my Lotus to work everyday. I also like the idea that Lotus is trying to better position itself to sell more cars and become a major player.

So as a Lotus fan, I am going to keep driving my Lotus and let everyone see that this small car company can take on large deep pocket manufactures.

It's a media war and the opponents want Lotus to sink. Don't feed them. Take your car out on the street and show folks what Lotus is about.

·
Registered
1,248 Posts
I also liked Lotus' response. Lotus is a niche company that can't issue some typical corporate generic response with any real impact. It needed to do something to at least put a voice out there on their behalf. Otherwise they look like a company that's gone into a corner to die. Worst case, this has triggered such a media hot topic that the publicity in the short run at least allows DRB-HICOM to see how significant this company still is (regardless of what their forensic teams find). One other note, what I really found insightful today was how a few of the articles broke down who was really at the heart of some of these rumors. Surprise, surprise, they were all started by people with ties to either Caterham F1 or other groups that have a conflict of interest with Lotus. As a bad PR writer might say, "just saying..."

·
Registered
305 Posts
You guys want a car thats unique, rare and is built with passion and commitment BUT want the company building it to be a lifeless, buzz kill and normal boring corporate company which covers it ass over every little thing and has no charisma.
I actually like Lotus' response, it shows they human and care about whats happening. Just because their response isn't what "normal companies" would do and every one is used to doesn't mean its a terrible hole they have dug themselves.
Lotus has gone up in my books after reading that little lot. Though they could have been a bit more subtle in their reply.

·
Registered
5,709 Posts
I think many people on here just hate Danny Bahar, and it's been the driving force for all things negative about Lotus. This just adds fuel to that flame...

·
Registered
104 Posts
-eek-That's just embarassing. No decent sports car company would put out that kind of press release!!!:no::no::no:

·
Mulholland>SCC
2,532 Posts
I don't jump on the hate bandwagon, however, that piece was very condescending. I was doing fine til I got to the parts where they decided to put other people down. Not really appropriate to post on a public forum for your company. Of course, it is just my opinion.

·
Registered
234 Posts
Lotus . . . quit fighting with Caterham and learn to make a profit every once in a while.

Caterham . . . quit fighting with Lotus and learn to ship an order without an appalling number of missing and incorrect parts.

It's a shame. If you could combine the financial management of Caterham with the operational capabilities of Lotus, you'd have a respectable car company. Of course in my fantasy car company, I'd take Caterham's public relations department. That release was unprofessional.

·
Registered
953 Posts
If they had just straightened out the rumors without the sarcastic jabs at others, it would've been a great response. Not everyone reads sarcasm the same way.

·
Registered
2,867 Posts
A response was needed but not in this fashion. They should have left the personal attacks on Tony Fernandes and Joe Saward out of it, even if it were true they started the rumor mongering. Leaving the response at "Fact: Rubbish" would have been sufficient.

Also, the serious responses about the financial situation and the F1 deal status should have been listed first. Those were the only professionally written and composed thought processes.

Unfortunately instead of putting a fire out, they started another. I do hope Bahar gets shown the door and a boot up his ass though. He's driving that company into the shtter. He's made Lotus a very toxic asset which I am not even sure Genii would want to own any longer even if given the opportunity.

·
Registered
106 Posts
Well it was on the Lotus 'News' site last night but now seems to have gone? either someone has had an almighty B***king and hopefully been sacked or maybe just maybe the site was hacked....

Like him or loathe him I am not sure DB or any marketing exec would have authorized that release

But what is very much needed is a profesional clear rational statement as to exactly what is happening

·
Registered
3,449 Posts
Discussion Starter #33
You guys want a car thats unique, rare and is built with passion and commitment BUT want the company building it to be a lifeless, buzz kill and normal boring corporate company which covers it ass over every little thing and has no charisma.
I actually like Lotus' response, it shows they human and care about whats happening. Just because their response isn't what "normal companies" would do and every one is used to doesn't mean its a terrible hole they have dug themselves.
Lotus has gone up in my books after reading that little lot. Though they could have been a bit more subtle in their reply.
I desire unique, rare cars built with passion.

I don't find it desirable, however, when the people who are tasked with keeping this legendary company afloat are busy responding to minutiae in the same manner that a 13 year old girl calls out her middle school nemesis on Facebook.

My business is marketing, promotion and PR. For a company that has set its sights on Ferrari, Lamborghini and Porsche, this is low rent. Someone who is willing to pay $180k for a new Esprit is going to look at this and think that this is a company in a death spiral. Why am I going to buy a car from a company that makes erratic, irrational decisions like this?

·
Registered
6,972 Posts
Agreed

·
Registered
489 Posts
For a company that has set its sights on Ferrari, Lamborghini and Porsche, this is low rent. Someone who is willing to pay $180k for a new Esprit is going to look at this and think that this is a company in a death spiral. Why am I going to buy a car from a company that makes erratic, irrational decisions like this?
Because the target buyer for this PR message is someone who is not looking to buy from the establishment. The message was released on Facebook first to target a specific audience. It only went on their main page after it got enough attention. They probably took it off once they assessed the mix reaction.

Regardless, It worked. Got your attention, got some free press.

·
Registered
246 Posts
I think we all agree that if you own a Lotus you are not generally one to go along with a crowd or be conventional. I am good with that. I am also selfish and want them to stay in business so we can have access to these cars in the future. As a former corporate CEO, this is not only unprofessional, but it indicates a lack of discipline in the senior management (assuming this was not a hack of some sort). My view is that a business that could put something like this out is probably not a well run business. I could care less about the politics of the different players (Caterham, etc); I don't even fully understand who they are or what the problem is. I only know that I love these cars and it sure feels like a big mess at the company which puts the future availability of these cars at risk. I sure hope the new owners either agree to fund it (very doubtful for this type of investment group) or get it into the hands of a new owner that will commit to it.

·
Registered
953 Posts
Because the target buyer for this PR message is someone who is not looking to buy from the establishment. The message was released on Facebook first to target a specific audience. It only went on their main page after it got enough attention. They probably took it off once they assessed the mix reaction.

Regardless, It worked. Got your attention, got some free press.
Who would be the target buyer from this message? :confused:

·
Registered
277 Posts
Just curious,

Do you enjoy your Lotus?
Do you like seeing Lotus in F1 again?
Would you like to see a new Esprit on the road?

Yes for all the above for me.

I don't know if Bahar had done a good or bad job, all I know is that he was able to get folks to give him lots of money to try and make Lotus a major player. If they end up making fat heavy cars with automatic transmissions because it sells, who cares as long as people are buying them and it keeps Lotus racing. That's how Lotus is going to get better in this space. The Fat heavy automatic will fund the light faster cars that you and I will buy. To me, Racing is in the Lotus DNA. Chapman sold cars so that he could keep racing. I bought my Evora so that I have a car that I can take to track days and shuttle my kids to school. This is my second Lotus and I'll keep buying them regardless of who runs the company.

:coolnana:

I am excited that Alex Jobs is running an Evora in the American Le mans. I like driving my Lotus to work everyday. I also like the idea that Lotus is trying to better position itself to sell more cars and become a major player.

So as a Lotus fan, I am going to keep driving my Lotus and let everyone see that this small car company can take on large deep pocket manufactures.

It's a media war and the opponents want Lotus to sink. Don't feed them. Take your car out on the street and show folks what Lotus is about.

+1 I agree abechen.

·
Registered
246 Posts
The notion that all publicity is a good thing is rubbish. As an example, if a restaurant undercooks a hamgurger and a customer dies from e-coli they get a LOT of publicity. The restaurant probably goes out of business because nobody trusts them to properly cook a hamburger--not a good outcome. That is maybe an extreme analogy, but this statement makes you wonder if they know how to run a business and thus makes people reluctant to buy their product.

21 - 40 of 56 Posts