The Lotus Cars Community banner

41 - 56 of 56 Posts

·
Registered
6,490 Posts
Because the target buyer for this PR message is someone who is not looking to buy from the establishment. The message was released on Facebook first to target a specific audience. It only went on their main page after it got enough attention. They probably took it off once they assessed the mix reaction.

Regardless, It worked. Got your attention, got some free press.
So you are of the opinion that negative attention is better than no attention? That works for celebrities maybe, but not so much in retail.

Posting on Facebook...what audience does that reach? By and large an audience that cannot afford to buy the current cars, and certainly not the fantastical new models. With a goodly number unsold/new Elises/Exiges/Evoras languishing unsold on dealers' lots, this isn't a terribly circumspect move. Of course, it's not aimed at the US, but the world market.

I've owned 9 Lotus over 35 years, my affection for the marque is long standing and stretches back to the first cars through the present, and through being a suffering F1 fan as they got out of racing last time around.

When I look at things now, I can cut through my pronounced Lotus bias easily with a little reality check: would I buy their stock with my retirement money? Nope.

·
Registered
489 Posts
So you are of the opinion that negative attention is better than no attention? That works for celebrities maybe, but not so much in retail.
It can't be seen as negative as the message was intended to dispel rumors. You have held to the Lotus tradition for over 30 years, they already have your loyalty. It is a different PR tactic directed at generation even younger than you or me. Age does not reflect purchasing power.

I am in my mid 30's and am on my second Lotus. Lotus did not catch my attention until the first gen Elise hit magazine covers. From a target marketing perspective, someone my age would already be considered old. They got me on the band wagon in the 90's, I didn't buy my first Lotus until 15 years later.

·
Registered
7,116 Posts
Well it was on the Lotus 'News' site last night but now seems to have gone? either someone has had an almighty B***king and hopefully been sacked or maybe just maybe the site was hacked....

Like him or loathe him I am not sure DB or any marketing exec would have authorized that release

But what is very much needed is a profesional clear rational statement as to exactly what is happening
sure he/they would - they crafted and published my auto signature... Danny is destroying the brand, making bad marketing decisions, and has turned Lotus PR into a joke. that why people are taking stabs at them - they are doing it to themselves. if they would stop the childish PR, they wouldn't have to defend their childish PR... this was not a problem a few years ago.

·
Registered
6,490 Posts
It can't be seen as negative as the message was intended to dispel rumors. You have held to the Lotus tradition for over 30 years, they already have your loyalty. It is a different PR tactic directed at generation even younger than you or me. Age does not reflect purchasing power.

I am in my mid 30's and am on my second Lotus. Lotus did not catch my attention until the first gen Elise hit magazine covers. From a target marketing perspective, someone my age would already be considered old. They got me on the band wagon in the 90's, I didn't buy my first Lotus until 15 years later.
What was intended isn't always what is seen. Look at the posts in this thread...without doing an actual count, it looks like at best it's 50/50 split between whether it was a good idea or not, possibly skewing more thinking it's a bad idea.

From a target marketing perspective, certainly some people younger than you can afford an Evora, or possibly the new Esprit should it ever actually materialize, but certainly not most. They are not the target market for the current crop of Lotus cars. Heck, according to recent studies about 40% of people under 30 are still living at home with their parents.

I am not at all loyal to the current Lotus. I enjoyed my Elise and Exige very much, but it looks like current Lotus is abandoning those cars and their concepts, barely keeping them alive in Europe to try to pay the bills.

I AM looking for Lotus #10 now, but I'm looking backward BECAUSE of my loyalty to Lotus as I knew it. I'm looking for a nice Elan, Europa, or possibly Super 7.

·
Registered
5,709 Posts
The notion that all publicity is a good thing is rubbish. As an example, if a restaurant undercooks a hamgurger and a customer dies from e-coli they get a LOT of publicity. The restaurant probably goes out of business because nobody trusts them to properly cook a hamburger--not a good outcome. That is maybe an extreme analogy, but this statement makes you wonder if they know how to run a business and thus makes people reluctant to buy their product.
You make a good point.

It only takes one death to kill a product or company.

But no one has died of any hamgurgers! rotfl

I'm not a marketer but the fact that they removed it implies they acknowledge the pettiness of it all and dropped it. Still I don't really think it hurt them in any way having done it.

If the hamgurger is awesome, most people are willing to look past the lack of decor...

·
Registered
3,013 Posts
I bought my Elise because:

1) It looked really nice
2) Price was reasonable
3) I had a good impression of the Esprit car from Bond films.

I didn't pay any attention at all to the Lotus marketing circa 2009 when I bought mine. I suspect many future buyers won't really care about what Lotus PR is donig right now.

My thought is that if the new Lotus owners keep the money flowing then Lotus can come out with some new cars and survive.

·
Registered
246 Posts
Maybe too much focus on hamburgers and PR? :D

The company had a big commitment from its prior owner. This owner is now gone. A new owner is going to take a fresh business look and the business case is weak. We all love the cars and hope they continue making and supporting them. If the new company does not believe in the opportunity to actually make money then we will have no new cars and no service (factory) for the cars we now have. Is that a serious issue? Yes, I think it is. We are all Lotus lovers or we would not be on this forum, but the reality is that we could possibly own relics depending on how all of this plays out. It is not just PR and politics. It will significantly impact our enjoyment of the cars going forward. I thus find it interesting that many seem to think "so what" "who cares" about PR and politics. Hmmm

·
Registered
821 Posts
One perspective to add to this: people seem to have a lot more candor in the British press than American press.

For example, I heard an interview with the Top Gear producer a couple years ago. As I recall he basically said he thought the show was most likely nearer to the end of it's run than the beginning, and something about the show getting too formulaic. You'd never hear a producer in America say anything but positive comments about a show until the day it died. I've seen some other examples of this too.

So I can see how anything even slightly negative sounding to us puts up all sorts of flags, whereas not as big of a deal in Britain.

That said, I think this still lacks some professionalism, especially from a premium car company, but my hunch is probably that someone normally in charge of relatively minor releases of info and such on Lotus' FB page probably slipped through the cracks with some venting as a result of some of the negative press recently, versus a mindfully crafted communication from Lotus' PR department. That or their account did get hacked. : )

·
Registered
1,203 Posts
I personally don't see what the big deal is.

The responses here, on Jalopnik, and on FB seem to be way more inflammatory and controversial than the original post.

I DO think that the morale in/around Lotus is dying. I took my car in for servicing at John Scotti the other day, and everyone looked like a worn out zombie. No conversation, just frowns all around. I've been hearing rumors that the stock of Evoras might stop coming in for now until everything gets sorted.

·
Gamera The Atomic Turtle
3,349 Posts
will this impact the black gold, texas tea recall?

·
Registered
1,203 Posts
You make a good point.

It only takes one death to kill a product or company.

But no one has died of any hamgurgers! rotfl
People die all the time from hamburgers - E. Coli O157 can kill through dehydration from profound diarrhea. A few years ago in Canada, Maple Leaf hotdogs and bacon products Listeria outbreak killed a whole bunch of people.

·
Registered
2,343 Posts
Lotus has deleted the controversial Facebook post. They then added 7 posts focused on racing and new cars.

·
Registered
359 Posts
There's a great interview with Dany on Car magazine's website:

CAR interviews Dany Bahar, Lotus CEO on those rumours (2012) | Automotive & Motoring News | Car Magazine Online

Do you think the Lotus PR response to the Sniff Petrol release [where Bahar was depicted as the Iraqi information minister insisting that there were no problems as Iraq burned behind him – an image Lotus itself used as ‘self-irony’ in the release]?
'You have to ask the PR people.'

But what do you think?
'I think every professional should carry out his job – I’m not a press person – so I’ll leave it up to our professionals to decide what is good and what is bad. They have chosen to do something more controversial, to make a statement.'

·
Registered
246 Posts
2 observations:
1. Happy to see a substantive interview and and open discussion. Also delighted that it appears they are moving forward and confident they will get at least the Esprit out the door.

2. I have been a CEO of a public company and his response on the PR stuff is just wierd. Either he is not doing his job by being informed on something so important or he sucks as a boss by throwing the PR "person under the bus" over this matter. He is clearly trying to distance himself from it. Either reality does not reflect well on his leadership.

Its always something I suppose. I just hope the new investors stay committed and give them a chance to become profitable.

·
Registered
181 Posts
Instead of publishing that stupid release last week, they should have just put out a link to that interview. Very good, and makes me feel much better about the whole situation.

41 - 56 of 56 Posts