The Lotus Cars Community banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
110 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Second hit and run in two weeks. First one was outside of the bank... no body damage just paint scratches on my passenger side. Quote was $3900.00Second one was on Saturday night parallel parked outside a club somebody hit my front quarter. Time for a second quote. I think I need velvet ropes around my car when I park.

·
Registered
606 Posts
Stinks to get hit. I know you must feel violated a bit...

upside is that once you get that parking light in your hand and the fender liner pulled, it should take a grand total of less than a 1/2hr to fix that. I would think that those scratches would buff out..

If you are running winter tires on sport pack wheels, you must not be too particular. :)

- Allen.

·
Registered
110 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I'm quite particular... We get 9 months of winter in Calgary and snow tires are the only way I can enjoy my Lotus outside of the 3 months my Advan's are mounted.

Estimators are out to lunch around here, they think I'm driving a $150,000.00 car. To paint a doors and blend it into the rear clam a body shop quoted me $4200.00. Insurance is paying and my premiums don't change so I could care less.

·
Registered
7,610 Posts
I'm going to get flamed for this but you can't treat the Elise/Exige like it's just a car or it will get hit. I got through 30 months of Elise ownership with almost no scratch by being very paranoid were I parked (and I still got nicked by a Lexus SUV on the freeway:http://www.lotustalk.com/forums/showthread.php?t=37406).

In terms of your quarter panel, you may be able to get away with just replacing the reflector. It's about $135 or so.

Attachments

·
Registered
3,958 Posts
Maybe you should replace the side marker yourself, buff the scratch out and save the insurance money in a box for when the moron really nails you.

Just a thought anyways. :shrug:

·
Registered
7,610 Posts
Maybe you should replace the side marker yourself, buff the scratch out and save the insurance money in a box for when the moron really nails you.

Just a thought anyways. :shrug:
I agree. It will be probably be cheaper than the deductible. If you replace the side maker, you'll need to remove the wheel liner and I believe it's held in place by clips.

Also, looks like you have Starshield? I think I see a piece of Starshield sticking out. So, you could just replace that section but I think that saved you big dollars in repaint.

Oh, one trick I used for the rare occassions when I had to parallel park was to take some blocks of wood (each pair was spray painted black and tied together with a rope -like nunchucks) and places then a few feet in front of and behind my Elise. If the cars near me hit something, it would hopefully be the blocks first. I spray painted everything black so it wouldn't be noticeable and some goofball uses it to block my own tires instead. And for you weight conscious people, the blocks only weight about two to three pounds.

·
Registered
7,610 Posts
My cost on the side market is $55. The joy of having a dealership.
Ah, I think Lotus owners are going to have to remember you. :D

·
www.theapexinn.com
11,688 Posts
What's a winter tire? :D;) or what's winter?
I was talking to a girl in her mid 20's last week in Ft. Lauderdale.........she's NEVER seen snow !!! :crazyeyes

·
Registered
1,428 Posts
How's the weather in NJ right now? :p

... I imagine $hitty :D
Clearly not a native Californian.(?) ;)

NJ weather has been quite nice. Currently 47 and sunny.

·
Registered
4,253 Posts
Clearly not a native Californian.(?) ;)

NJ weather has been quite nice. Currently 47 and sunny.
You are right... I was raised in France where the weather is... well, strange.

BTW, 47 isn't nice IMO ;) ... at least it's sunny. Right now it's 81 here.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts