The Lotus Cars Community banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
1,492 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
So my 70 year old mom is outside doing yard work in front of our house (think trimming the hedges) and she notices the family car start moving. She assumed it was my dad until she saw that it was driving away. She realized that she had just seen our 16-year old Honda Accord get stolen from in front of her.

·
Registered
1,492 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
That's terrible... What town?

So as a good son, will you loan her your elise? :)
We're in Evanston, one of the north suburbs of Chicago. My mom won't drive the Elise, but she doesn't mind riding in it. I've been toying with the idea of buying an old Evo VIII - I figure if my mom is willing to drive it, it would be a pretty good family car candidate (especially since my parents drive maybe 40 miles a week, so fuel consumption isn't much of an issue). Also, we've been contemplating picking up a Tesla Model S - right now the waitlist is a year out.

·
Relapsing Honda fan
1,259 Posts
An Evo is fairly theft prone as well, get something cute like the old new Beatle and no "G's" will want it. Their situation reminds of the time a car got stolen mid afternoon from an Autozone parking lot two spaces from where I was attempting to swap a radiator fan (Gary Indiana), it's amazing how fast and ballsy these punks are.

·
Registered
480 Posts
It's more than likely being a 16-year old Honda Accord it's headed for a chop shop so they can sell the parts. The older Accords are one of the most stolen car models. Sorry to hear about the loss, I'm assuming your Mom didn't leave the keys in the car.

·
Registered
8,534 Posts
Bummer.

That will happen! Evanston is a funky one because you have very nice parts and some shady parts (near McCormack). Bunch of my friends grew up there and went to ET.

I had an '85 Honda CRX Si in college (DePaul) and was hanging with some friends at Northwestern. Car got stolen off the street (Ridge). Was recovered a week later, ironically enough, right near DePaul. Car was totally fine - no damage and get this, the guy had left a bag of CDs in the car that he bought at Tower Records (cash). So, for my car being stolen, I got the Smashing Pumpkins CD 'Gish' and some other crap I don't remember.

Weird.

Sorry 'bout the car, but I recall hearing that Accords are THE most stolen car in the US, regardless of year. It will be in a chop shop on Western by now.

·
Premium Member
2,637 Posts
Any hope your mom leaves a cell phone in the car? You can use cell tower triangulation to find the car (if done fast enough).

·
Registered
2,524 Posts
I recall hearing that Accords are THE most stolen car in the US, regardless of year.
By far. Although when we moved to our area, we were warned that Civics were the target of choice due to a prevalence of budget-minded "tuners". This was in '04. Sure enough our '90 Civic with only 60k on it was stolen within weeks.

It was found in a nearby parking lot. I went to take a look and remove our belongings, and found that the thief had only taken the battery, spare mini wheel, and the (white) hood, leaving a dented black hood behind. And apparently that's enough to declare a 14 year old Civic a total loss. rotfl

About two weeks later I'm walking up a nearby street and up ahead I see a car cruising through the intersection. A black Civic with a white hood...
Oh well.

·
Premium Member
11,897 Posts
The biggest selling cars are what create the mkt for stolen parts.

Theft prevention (doesn't work if car is towed):

Stick shift: hide a switch that breaks the circuit for the clutch safety switch wire.

Auto: hide switch for neutral safety circuit.

Old cars: ground the coil, hide switch in cabin (not log).

·
Registered
290 Posts
The biggest selling cars are what create the mkt for stolen parts.

Theft prevention (doesn't work if car is towed):

Stick shift: hide a switch that breaks the circuit for the clutch safety switch wire.

Auto: hide switch for neutral safety circuit.

Old cars: ground the coil, hide switch in cabin (not log).

I've had a car get broken into 3 times! It wasn't a Honda but only worth like 5k. The first time my brother saw them and chased them away the two other times the car wouldn't start :)
I would pull the coil wire every time I got out. What a pita

·
Registered
1,492 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
An Evo is fairly theft prone as well, get something cute like the old new Beatle and no "G's" will want it. Their situation reminds of the time a car got stolen mid afternoon from an Autozone parking lot two spaces from where I was attempting to swap a radiator fan (Gary Indiana), it's amazing how fast and ballsy these punks are.
Unfortunately, there's been quite a series of Evo thefts around chicago as well.

It's more than likely being a 16-year old Honda Accord it's headed for a chop shop so they can sell the parts. The older Accords are one of the most stolen car models. Sorry to hear about the loss, I'm assuming your Mom didn't leave the keys in the car.
Any hope your mom leaves a cell phone in the car? You can use cell tower triangulation to find the car (if done fast enough).
The moment that my parents told me that the car had been stolen I figured that it would be chop shop fodder. The only thing we left in the car was a car cover that I was using for another car.

·
Registered
591 Posts
We're in Evanston, one of the north suburbs of Chicago. My mom won't drive the Elise, but she doesn't mind riding in it. I've been toying with the idea of buying an old Evo VIII - I figure if my mom is willing to drive it, it would be a pretty good family car candidate (especially since my parents drive maybe 40 miles a week, so fuel consumption isn't much of an issue). Also, we've been contemplating picking up a Tesla Model S - right now the waitlist is a year out.
do not buy an evo if you live in chicago. they get stolen left and right there. group of polish guys if im not mistaken.

·
Registered
1,492 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Incredibly, they found our car just a few blocks from our house, parked in the back alley lot of an apartment complex. I'm happy they didn't take my car cover.

·
Registered
1,492 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Congrats - any damage?
They stole the 6-year old GPS that we left in the car cause the thing was worthless 90% of the time and ripped off a panel that includes the cupholders on the center console (not sure why - maybe thinking we left something hidden under the center console?). All in all pretty good - they left the most expensive thing in the trunk: my car cover.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts