The Lotus Cars Community banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
342 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all, Can anyone advise me how to make an adjustment on the position of the clutch foot pedal where the clutch bites ( sorry for the wording ).
The point at which the clutch bites is extremely high almost at the top of travel.
Is this adjustable or is this close to a new clutch, or perhaps is this the way it is ?
This is a 2004 V8

Thanks in advance for the assistance.

Regards

Jim
:wave:

·
Registered
103 Posts
I am also interested as my mechanic has told me that that is an indication that I will be needing a new clutch soon. I have an 05 with 43,000 Miles on it and I never dump the clutch and am very careful not to slip it. I had a honda accord I purchase in 02 with 60,000 miles on it and sold it with 217,000 miles on it and never replaced the clutch. It was a 5 speed manual. I find it hard to believe that I am in need of a new clutch as the Elise is much lighter that the Celica that it comes from and I can't see a toyota celica needing a new clutch so soon.

·
Registered
1,293 Posts
No adjustment and your mechanic is correct, clutch is nearing the end...

43K is actually pretty good for a V8 clutch.

·
Registered
342 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
ooooh my : ( I only have 11,400 miles on this apparently pristine car ).
Regards

Jim G:mad:

·
Registered
88 Posts
Cant lie the celica clutch is garbage, My old matrix xrs used the same clutch but being more than 300lbs heavier destroyed the clutch in 20,000 . Just be thankful you have a gorgeous car compared to a 6 speed crapbox : )

·
Registered
1,212 Posts
Before you go out and tear out your clutch you may want to check the rod at the slave cylinder. My car is an 89 and the rod at the slave can be adjusted for length. You still should check your clutch if it is acting poorly but you also may want to check the rod for correct length.
Another thing to consider is your clutch line from the master to the slave. Do you still have the old red line clutch line?
At 34K my clutch felt like it was just about gone, especially on those hot Texas summer days. Turns out the clutch was fine but the old style red clutch line was flexing so much it was causing the clutch to not fully engage.
A new ss braided line from JAE and the clutch felt good as new and made it to 68K without a problem.

Food for thought.

Al B.

·
Registered
1,293 Posts
Guys,

We are talking about V8's here not 4 cylinders. It's not a Toyota clutch, it's an AP twin plate high performance unit.

Also, the slave setup is different, there is no rod to adjust and the V8's already have a stainless steel clutch line ....

·
Registered
216 Posts
Hi all, Can anyone advise me how to make an adjustment on the position of the clutch foot pedal where the clutch bites ( sorry for the wording ).
The point at which the clutch bites is extremely high almost at the top of travel.
Is this adjustable or is this close to a new clutch, or perhaps is this the way it is ?
This is a 2004 V8

Thanks in advance for the assistance.

Regards

Jim
:wave:
I have an 2002 V8 and it is the same. I had the engine out a while back and replaced the clutch while the engine was out. The point in which the clutch engages is quite high but it by no means is an indicators of replacement being required. Having had the chance to inspect the old clutch I would find it hard to believe that the unit could require replacement after only 11k miles unless someone was very abusive with the car. Relax and enjoy your ride........

·
Registered
52 Posts
2004 here as well with 15600 and the clutch is still fine, had a couple of issues recently but just checked the adjustment against the manual and its all good. I have seen quite a few posts on various forums citing 25 to 30K as the usual for the clutches FYI. Check out Lotus Esprit Forums, the guys over there are extremely helpful and there is a V8 technical section. Congrats on the purchase, I would have bought that one last year but it did not fit my blue/black exterior with magnolia interior requirements.

·
Registered
88 Posts
dont get me wrong i know its 2 different clutches haha. I was trying to make the op feel better about possibly having a dead clutch at 11k or so..By saying i owned an ugly crappy car with a clutch that was only good for 20k ,At least his car is gorgeous haha i apologize

1 - 12 of 12 Posts