The Lotus Cars Community banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm sure someone out there is planning on buying a daily driver with some of the procedes from the sale of their Elise. Maybe we can help each other out.

Want to trade 06 Civic Si with 19k miles (electric blue, 2d, 6sp., 198hp, stock, never modded, 26/32 mpg if you drive reasonably, great sporty daily driver) for a single owner 05-06 Elise with hardtop and sport options. Prefer a bright color and within 1k miles of Louisiana. I have the title in hand, no bank issues from my end.

Pix if anyone is interested.

·
Registered
4,451 Posts
Sorry, but I'd say sell car first, then buy a Lotus.

It's weird seeing all these "buy my mass-produced Car X and I'll give you money to buy your Lotus" threads.

If someone is selling their Lotus it's alot less hassle for them to just sell their Lotus and buy your mass-produced Car X anyhow?

Why needlessly complicate what should be simple transactions. People with Lotus could've bought mass-produced Car X in the first place if they wanted it? *shrug*.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Sorry, but I'd say sell car first, then buy a Lotus.

It's weird seeing all these "buy my mass-produced Car X and I'll give you money to buy your Lotus" threads.

If someone is selling their Lotus it's alot less hassle for them to just sell their Lotus and buy your mass-produced Car X anyhow?

Why needlessly complicate what should be simple transactions. People with Lotus could've bought mass-produced Car X in the first place if they wanted it? *shrug*.
It’s called bartering, a system of exchange that came before we had money. You have a pig; I have a wagon of corn. I need a pig, you need some corn. Things work out for both of us.

Doesn’t sound like you have bought and sold a lot of cars in the private market. I’m usually ready to pull my hair out by the time I get something sold. I could sell my car to a dealer for, say, 16k. The dealer is going to list the car for 19k and probably sell it in a week. That’s 3 grand I could have had to buy my next car. Same kind of situation for the Lotus seller, plus it seems like THERE IS NO MARKET for Lotus cars right now. Watch E-bay for a couple of weeks.

Sales tax benefits. I only pay 7% sales tax on the cash part of the transaction.

I would not post something like WTT 05 Accord 4d base w/4 cyl auto for 08 Elise SC. That’s stupid. However, somewhere there is a person with the car I want. A subset of those people will need a daily driver when they sell their Lotus. Former Lotus owner will not want above mentioned base Accord, but a Civic Si might be a choice for a downgrade car.

PhlypSide, it just occured to me that either you don't earn your own money or make so much that 8 or 10k difference on a car deal is not worth the hassle. Yea, my WTT might be a long shot, but does that really matter to you. If you have something to say about trade offers maybe you should start your own thread instead of flaming mine.

·
Registered
1,149 Posts
Thing is, most people here would not sell their lotus for a daily driver. They would just buy the daily driver.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thing is, most people here would not sell their lotus for a daily driver. They would just buy the daily driver.
Much nicer way to express the thought. However, I've seen a lot of ads saying things like can't afford, no place to keep, and code words for the same thing. Thats why I placed the WTT ad.

·
Registered
6,301 Posts
I dont know how the market is where you live, but here used civics are going for nearly as much as used ones...

·
Registered
6,571 Posts
I dont know how the market is where you live, but here used civics are going for nearly as much as used ones...
Very astute.:shrug:

·
Registered
6,301 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
After doing some research on CarMax I think I'm going to get a bid from them. They could go as high as 20k, based on the prices of their inventory. If thats the case, then the Civic is gone as a trade on a new car for the wife.

THEN, I can wait for the car I want (06 sport Elise) to come to my price ($35k)

·
Registered
6,571 Posts
After doing some research on CarMax I think I'm going to get a bid from them. They could go as high as 20k, based on the prices of their inventory. If thats the case, then the Civic is gone as a trade on a new car for the wife.

THEN, I can wait for the car I want (06 sport Elise) to come to my price ($35k)
Good Plan, except you may have a somewhat long wait for an 06 Sport Elise to get to $35K. There were only 50 made and sold, and they were not just cosmetic upgrades, but real track upgrades. They will always command a premium over any other 06 Elise. Although personally I find the color combination very off-putting.

Now, if you're talking about an Elise with the sport suspension option, that's another matter, and another car altogether. You may only have to wait a year or so for low mileage ones to get in that price range.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Good Plan, except you may have a somewhat long wait for an 06 Sport Elise to get to $35K. There were only 50 made and sold, and they were not just cosmetic upgrades, but real track upgrades. They will always command a premium over any other 06 Elise. Although personally I find the color combination very off-putting.
I know what it is. To me its worth the 30k I feel I could buy a good car for, plus the price of the sport elise shock package on the aftermarket. I dont want to argue the value of the car, just what it is worth to me.

A forum member has one on e-bay with no action at an opening bid of 35k, and in California. If that opening bid does not get any hits, then what is the car worth?

·
Registered
6,571 Posts
I know what it is. To me its worth the 30k I feel I could buy a good car for, plus the price of the sport elise shock package on the aftermarket. I dont want to argue the value of the car, just what it is worth to me.

A forum member has one on e-bay with no action at an opening bid of 35k, and in California. If that opening bid does not get any hits, then what is the car worth?
You don't want to argue the value of the car, then ask what a LotusSport Elise is worth if the ONE seller on ebay with one doesn't get his minimum bid? A study in contradictions.

Well, ebay isn't exactly considered to be a good indicator of a car's 'worth.' It chronicles deals, or lack of deals, but does not reflect the wider market. Ebay is about simplicity...low ball buyers finding desparate sellers.

Remember, there are only 50 LotusSport Elises. You will need to find a desparate seller of one indeed if you hope to get one at $35K in the near future.

The question, for such a limited car, is really "How bad do you want one?" there's more to the Sport Elise than just the shock package, you know.

The seller on ebay could do much, much better through other venues.

You say there is no market for Lotus cars right now. Respectfully disagree. These are specialty cars, always have been, always will be. The introduction in 2005, where for a brief time they seemed 'mainstream' was an anomoly.

They are now in low enough quantity to make for an interesting market. Not in demand? I know a member who within a month bought a California Edition Elise, AND an S240 Exige. Didn't trade one for the other, has both in hand now.

The cars are selling. New, used. They sell. You have your sights set on a rare car, one that is not merely the cosmetic upgrade like the 72D. You MAY get your car at $35K. Good luck to you.

·
Registered
4,451 Posts
Doesn’t sound like you have bought and sold a lot of cars in the private market. I’m usually ready to pull my hair out by the time I get something sold. I could sell my car to a dealer for, say, 16k. The dealer is going to list the car for 19k and probably sell it in a week. That’s 3 grand I could have had to buy my next car. Same kind of situation for the Lotus seller, plus it seems like THERE IS NO MARKET for Lotus cars right now. Watch E-bay for a couple of weeks.
You don't even own a Lotus, but sure know how well they sell, etc. LOL! I've sold plenty of daily drivers, including a Civic or two! Sounds like you're more in a hurry to dump your four door fastNfurious mobile. Take an ad out in Autotrader, and sell the [email protected] thing outright, if there's truly "no market" for Lotus cars, there will be plenting waiting around for you when you sell your "highly desireable" Civic, right? LOL!

I would not post something like WTT 05 Accord 4d base w/4 cyl auto for 08 Elise SC. That’s stupid. However, somewhere there is a person with the car I want. A subset of those people will need a daily driver when they sell their Lotus. Former Lotus owner will not want above mentioned base Accord, but a Civic Si might be a choice for a downgrade car.
Accord/Civic/Integra/RSX? Who cares they're lacking a rear differential and would be a stupid downgrade for a contemporary Lotus owner. Think more along the lines of S2000 or Miata, that'd be more reasonable.

PhlypSide, it just occured to me that either you don't earn your own money or make so much that 8 or 10k difference on a car deal is not worth the hassle. Yea, my WTT might be a long shot, but does that really matter to you. If you have something to say about trade offers maybe you should start your own thread instead of flaming mine.
Way to ASSume :D LOL!

Oh well, good luck with your barter, someone would have to be retarded to entertain the deal from the Lotus side of the equation. I don't believe a single such thread has ever met with success here. rotfl rotfl

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #15 (Edited)
You don't even own a Lotus, but sure know how well they sell, etc. LOL! I've sold plenty of daily drivers, including a Civic or two! Sounds like you're more in a hurry to dump your four door fastNfurious mobile. Take an ad out in Autotrader, and sell the [email protected] thing outright, if there's truly "no market" for Lotus cars, there will be plenting waiting around for you when you sell your "highly desireable" Civic, right? LOL!
FYI, Its a coupe, and according to a headline article on MSN last week, new style Civic's are highly desirable; bringing several thousand over trade in value on the wholesale market.

When I watch the same cars on autotrader for months and the cars don't sell and the price keeps going down, what exactly should I assume about the market for the cars?

<edit> forgot to mention. I think the serious active shopper probably has a much better feel for current asking prices than a current owner who is not looking at all the cars for sale online several times a week.

Accord/Civic/Integra/RSX? Who cares they're lacking a rear differential and would be a stupid downgrade for a contemporary Lotus owner. Think more along the lines of S2000 or Miata, that'd be more reasonable.
Maybe someone got married, or had a child, or needed to cut back on some luxury items? Lotus are special cars for special types of people, and situations change. After the car and feeding of an exotic car, some people might like the simplicity of a back seat and a Honda warranty.

Way to ASSume :D LOL!
Sorry that was out of line.

Oh well, good luck with your barter, someone would have to be retarded to entertain the deal from the Lotus side of the equation. I don't believe a single such thread has ever met with success here. rotfl rotfl

I've had 2 board members express some possible interest.

It seems like you are adamant that no Lotus owner would ever stoop so low as to even look upon a lowly Civic. I'm sorry if this little want to trade ad offends you. I didn't get to the point where I could afford to buy an expensive toy by not being smart about how I buy and sell things. I know from long experience that horse trading is hands down the best way for BOTH parties to get the most from their car.

Expand your mind a little bit and think about this scenario. Big lotus guy buys one of the new faster, better cars out this year. He's not stupid about money either and figures he will at least give selling the old car a quick try private party. Meanwhile, his kid is reaching driving age or one is going off to college and needs a car. Both of us have the titles to our cars and I have certified funds, save a fortune and takes 5 minutes to sign.

·
Registered
485 Posts
When I watch the same cars on autotrader for months and the cars don't sell and the price keeps going down, what exactly should I assume about the market for the cars?
I think you will find 2 things about these cars.

1. They have had some sort of accident / clam repair / former rental cars.

2. They are way overpriced and most people just skip over such ads.

If I see an ad for a base 05 Elise with 10-15k miles asking 39k, I skip over that car since I consider the seller to be a moron.

·
Registered
4,451 Posts
It seems like you are adamant that no Lotus owner would ever stoop so low as to even look upon a lowly Civic. I'm sorry if this little want to trade ad offends you. I didn't get to the point where I could afford to buy an expensive toy by not being smart about how I buy and sell things. I know from long experience that horse trading is hands down the best way for BOTH parties to get the most from their car.
.....Both of us have the titles to our cars and I have certified funds, save a fortune and takes 5 minutes to sign.
Just so you know, I didn't mean to "pick on you" but since you've only been a member here for the better part of 3 weeks or less, you haven't seen this type of thread before.

The rest of us have. (Numerous times.)

I still say sell your Civic, get your funding together and buy yourself a Lotus :D

Maybe you'll get lucky and pull this barter idea off, but then again in my opinion (and experience) the more contingencies/complications there are in a given situation (e.g. your barter-style transaction) the less likely it is to succeed.

Money talks.

·
Registered
494 Posts
If you can get 20 grand from CarMax you should definitely take it. That's all the money and then some for what is effectively a 3 year old Civic that's getting near the end of its warranty and can be purchased new for less than 24 grand (if you wait for a MY2009). I'd buy a 2008 new off the dealer lot just to gain the downstream resale and additional warranty.

Steve

·
Puff Daddy
3,872 Posts
If you can get 20 grand from CarMax you should definitely take it. That's all the money and then some for what is effectively a 3 year old Civic that's getting near the end of its warranty and can be purchased new for less than 24 grand (if you wait for a MY2009). I'd buy a 2008 new off the dealer lot just to gain the downstream resale and additional warranty.

Steve
Carmax offered $16.5k on my 2006 BMW 3-series. I don't think I'd ever go there again... it was a waste of my time to get a crappy quote that was just about what dealer trade-in was :shrug:

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #20

Steve
After Katrina I really had no idea what exactly going to happen in my life. I wanted a paid for car. The Civic fit the bill and the budget. Civic Si models always seem to retain really high % of their MSRP, so transport problem solved. So now I'm ready to get back to club instructing and need a more track than street car. I've been drooling over the Elise since 2005 when I saw and sat in one at TWS. The early cars are now down to a price where I can feel comfortable tracking them hard. (If I cant afford to walk away from a total loss I don't drive it 10/10)

Lots of seemingly nice cars for sale right now. I hope most of them are as good as they are represented to be.

Trust me, if they say 18.5k at carmax, I'll say "call me a cab."

1 - 20 of 20 Posts