The Lotus Cars Community banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
5,298 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Considering trading my stock black forged LSS wheels for some stock black cast Euro Exige wheels. 3 of my wheels are near perfect, one has a very small curb scar (from before the car was mine), but since the wheels are black it's almost impossible to notice.

My wheels...

The wheels I'm looking to trade for...

·
Registered
81 Posts
You can get those in the US now. Those are the stock wheels off the Type 72 (only in gold) and the Elise SC (in silver). Just get them powdercoated black.

·
Registered
5,298 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
They came on some Elise/Exige cars here as well, when the factory ran out of LSS wheels for a bit. I'm hoping someone has a set of those they'd like to trade. I know the LSS wheels are lighter, and forged, but my car isn't a track car, so it'll make little difference to me.

·
Registered
407 Posts
why would you want to do that? they are so much heavier than your LSS. and you will notice the difference once you change them.

·
Registered
6,651 Posts
You can get those in the US now. Those are the stock wheels off the Type 72 (only in gold) and the Elise SC (in silver). Just get them powdercoated black.
Actually, although the ones on the SC Elise resemble these wheels, if you put them side by side you'll see they are not the same wheels. Similar, but not the same.

In addition to the Type 72 elise, they do also come standard on the California edition in silver.

I've got two sets in black. A couple of years ago a brand new set through a dealer was about $1800.

RE the extra weight. Yup, they're a fair amount heavier than the LSS, and only slightly lighter than the standard wheels. That said, if you're just driving on the street, you really won't notice the difference. If you're serious about track times on HPDE days or autocrossing, then the extra weight is noticeable.

·
Registered
5,298 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
why would you want to do that? they are so much heavier than your LSS. and you will notice the difference once you change them.
My car is 95% daily driver...for a 2.5 mile commute to work. I plan to track it a few times a year, but nothing serious (I'm not even changing the tires for the track). That said, my car is basically my photography model, and I prefer the Lotus Y-Type wheels to the LSS. Just click the link in my sig...

·
Registered
407 Posts
just my $0.02, my first elise had the standard euro spec wheels (these weigh the same as the Y spoke exige wheels), and i upgraded to the standard 111 (8 spoke wheels), and the difference was massive.

i never track my car, but the things i noticed were that the car would far more easily change direction, and rode far better over bumps and corrugations in a road.

i can imagine the difference had i gone to LSS would have been even more noticable. so dont underestimate what a difference the change in unsprung weight can make to this little car.

but if you just want it for looks, by all means go for it.

·
Registered
5,298 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Hmmm. I'm not 100% a slave to vanity, so I guess I should calculate the difference. I believe the weight of my fronts to be 12 lbs, and the rears to be 14 lbs. Does anyone know what the Y-Type wheels weigh?

·
Registered
407 Posts
Hmmm. I'm not 100% a slave to vanity, so I guess I should calculate the difference. I believe the weight of my fronts to be 12 lbs, and the rears to be 14 lbs. Does anyone know what the Y-Type wheels weigh?
check here

S2 Wheel Options - SELOC TechWiki

Fronts are 3.3kg each heavier
rears are 2.8kg each heavier.

thats HUGE !!! imo.

they are even heavier than the standard elise 8 spoke wheels.

·
Registered
5,298 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Wow, that's crazy, I'd be adding 13.45 lbs of unsprung weight, didn't realize it was that much. It's interesting that Lotus would even produce a wheel this heavy, I mean, they're heavier than the WORK Emotions, which are tanks.

I still want a set tho', just not sure if I need to trade or buy outright now, I guess it depends on the offers I get.

Thanks for the info man.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts