The Lotus Cars Community banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
803 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I never did like the electric windows. Unfortunately the new 2008 Exige S comes with electric windows on the car even when the touring package is not ordered.

It is interesting that the Cup car, with the full roll cage, comes with electric windows. This is true probably because there is no room to crank the windows because of interference with the roll cage.

Anyway, I am interested in exploring the exchange of my electric motors for your cranks. It probably is possible only if you are in the Silicon Valley Bay Area. If you have the cranks already removed and are willing to trust me to install them and ship you the motors the geographic proximity is not important.

Unfortunately I do not know if there were any design changes or if your car has the wiring necessary to support the switch.

PM if interested...

Michael

·
Registered
3,958 Posts
Micheal,
I thought the reason for your car and the cup car having electric windows, is because they are lighter than crank. :shrug:

·
Registered
1,831 Posts
Im down :)

Pm if you are interested

·
Registered
803 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
urban legend?

Micheal,
I thought the reason for your car and the cup car having electric windows, is because they are lighter than crank. :shrug:
As far as I can tell this is a myth. Lotus was criticized early on for putting in electric windows as the implication was they were going away from "adding lightness". Who wants to add pounds just to avoid cranking the windows.

Even earlier, the engineering on the Series One Elise window cranks was marginal and they were prone to breaking.

Anyway, Nick Adams, project manager for the Federal Elise (Croft) came to LOG and was heard to say that the electric windows were close to the weight of the manual ones. Not lighter but close.

This was repeated over and over in response to those new to the Elise and the weight difference decreased with each telling. Finally someone swapped the two and the myth took on a new meaning. At least that is my recollection.

I guess we will find out soon enough. I will weigh the components and provide the definitive answer, given the opportunity for a swap.

Michael

1 - 5 of 5 Posts