The Lotus Cars Community banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
1987 ESPRIT hci
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 1987 turbo esprit hci and have a high Cold Control Pressure (2.9 bar at 23 degree c and 1024 millibar air pressure). Should be about 2.3 bar. I tried to adjust the WUR but couldn't get to where it neded to be. I removed the unit for inspection and possibly making it adjustable per other posts on this site. When i opened the unit, it was not what i was expecting. It has two bi-metallic springs. This wasn't in the manual, nor did i find it anywhere else in the forum. The part number on the upper body is 0438140 096. The 096 is stamped. There is an 086 that is cast in.

I guess my question is what is the right WUR? Is the double bi-metallic bar correct and if so, how should it be adjusted?

Attachments

·
Wingless Wonder
1988 Esprit Turbo
5,845 Posts
Yes, that is the correct WUR (from the markings on our two units, anyway) :giggle: The "096' stamp is the critical notation.

I never opened ours up (I chose to have it professionally refurbished and calibrated) but others here have as you found.

Good luck, and Don't Touch Too Much.o_O:sneaky:

·
Registered
3,378 Posts
There is also a small screen that can be cleaned. Make sure all of the vacuum hoses are not leaking to it too, that can affect control pressure. Carefully inspect the wires, they have been known to burn up inside.Repairable.
David Teitelbaum

·
Wingless Wonder
1988 Esprit Turbo
5,845 Posts
^^^ Screen in the hole on the right.

·
Registered
1987 Turbo Esprit HCI
66 Posts
I have a 1987 turbo esprit hci and have a high Cold Control Pressure (2.9 bar at 23 degree c and 1024 millibar air pressure). Should be about 2.3 bar. I tried to adjust the WUR but couldn't get to where it neded to be. I removed the unit for inspection and possibly making it adjustable per other posts on this site. When i opened the unit, it was not what i was expecting. It has two bi-metallic springs. This wasn't in the manual, nor did i find it anywhere else in the forum. The part number on the upper body is 0438140 096. The 096 is stamped. There is an 086 that is cast in.

I guess my question is what is the right WUR? Is the double bi-metallic bar correct and if so, how should it be adjusted?
I read about it but chose to have a company called Fuel Injection Corp set mine up, and when I got it back the pressures were within spec during warm up.
It should have a bimetallic strip in it, that's what the electrical connection on it is for. The WUR knows it's "warmed up" by when the strip turns it off as far as I understand. It doesn't use heat through the engine or the "ECU" to do anything. It's a stand alone system.

·
Registered
1987 ESPRIT hci
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks for the input. I think i am going to reinstall and get as close to spec as i can. If the car runs ok, i will put the rebuild off until later this fall. I need to get the car running and put some miles on it to see if there are other challenages.

·
Wingless Wonder
1988 Esprit Turbo
5,845 Posts
Before you reinstall, make sure that the electrical circuits inside it work properly.

·
Registered
1987 ESPRIT hci
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Re-installed the WUR and set CCP and WCP per the charts and the car drives great. Need to reset idle to 950-1000 rpm, check TPS and i think it is good to go. Next project is the speedometer.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts