The Lotus Cars Community banner

61 - 67 of 67 Posts

·
Integrator
2,764 Posts
Discussion Starter #61
Have you replaced food grade plastic tank vapour balance tubes. Usually the culprit is the hose going acrossthe top of the rear window (located under the carpeting in the engine compartment). Lotus used some weird glue which destroys this tube causing cracks and voids
Replace it with fuel resistant rubber hose like the UK ebay item 111690374626 or from McMaster Carr.

·
S4s
678 Posts
If you're not going DIY on this and are looking for the best in the business on the east coast to end fuel vapor/leak problems on the Esprit, where do you go? (I have a 95 S4 that's been through three shops and $thousands in labor, all who seem think its evap system leaks and everything has been replaced, the odor in the car is strong enough to light it up.)
I have the same issue with fumes in the cabin when I open the window or sunroof. Fairly strong stuff too. I've replaced the breather line and all of those clear hoses and still no change. I'm wondering if it is a pinhole in the tank. I notice it more when I quickly take corners.

·
Wingless Wonder
1988 Esprit Turbo
5,650 Posts
There are two processes to stop the gas smell in any Esprit. This assumes that the gas tanks are not leaking!

First is to FIX THE PROBLEM: assure there is no deteriorating hose in the engine bay. This means, inspecting all the vinyl tubing going to the charcoal canister, roll over valve and every place in between. The best replacement tubing is Tygon brand hose as it is very flexible yet fuel resistant. (see MrD's references)

The gasket around the fuel pump is another smell source. At this age you are also advised to replace the pump when you change the gasket, as many of the GM fuel pumps are starting to fail.

The other process is to 'FIX THE SYMPTOM': The fuel smell enters the cabin through the covers for the seat belt reels. You can remove those covers and create a gasket around the edges. That way any vapors will stay in the engine bay.

Another help is to always drive with the interior fan ON. This will draw air from the cowl instead of the engine bay. Cracking the roof panel open brings extra vapor in, as the Esprit's aero then makes the air flow BACKWARDS from the intended path.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Sadly, yes. The clear tub, loads of vapor lines, a new canister and purge valve. I fear the tanks are leaking, somewhere. I haven't sealed off the seat belt reels, nor a fuel pump/or gasket though.

I'd really like to find an end all be all expert and set them loose. The vapor is so strong in the cabin it is probably explosive/flammable, and I haven't used the car much as a result since buying it last June.

There are two processes to stop the gas smell in any Esprit. This assumes that the gas tanks are not leaking!

First is to FIX THE PROBLEM: assure there is no deteriorating hose in the engine bay. This means, inspecting all the vinyl tubing going to the charcoal canister, roll over valve and every place in between. The best replacement tubing is Tygon brand hose as it is very flexible yet fuel resistant. (see MrD's references)

The gasket around the fuel pump is another smell source. At this age you are also advised to replace the pump when you change the gasket, as many of the GM fuel pumps are starting to fail.

The other process is to 'FIX THE SYMPTOM': The fuel smell enters the cabin through the covers for the seat belt reels. You can remove those covers and create a gasket around the edges. That way any vapors will stay in the engine bay.

Another help is to always drive with the interior fan ON. This will draw air from the cowl instead of the engine bay. Cracking the roof panel open brings extra vapor in, as the Esprit's aero then makes the air flow BACKWARDS from the intended path.

·
Wingless Wonder
1988 Esprit Turbo
5,650 Posts
Get a tube from a paper towel (or a length of heater hose) and use it to sniff out the source of the vapor.

If you think it could be the tanks :cry: remove the panels by the quarter windows (over the gas tanks) and sniff. Also, sniff on the bottom under the tanks (there are two small holes, they had better not be drippy!? ).

·
Integrator
2,764 Posts
Discussion Starter #66
Check tightness of the worm clamps on the rubber S hoses at the cross-over pipe between the tanks. With age, rubber shrinks and hardens to the point you may have fuel dripping on top of the belly pan. Easiest fix is adding a second clamp (Toro or Norma) on each end.

·
Integrator
2,764 Posts
Discussion Starter #67
Here is a revealing video demonstrating why ethanol mix should not be used in our cars.

EVEN if you replaced steel with aluminum tanks, unless you have used 5052 or 5083 Alloy in construction of your new tanks, you may easily get into a trouble in the future.

Note: Non-ethanol gas rarely has RON higher than 90, use Torco accelerator to bump it up. NEVER store your car with "accelerated" gas in the tank.
FYI, true gas stations: Ethanol-free gas stations in the U.S. and Canada
'

61 - 67 of 67 Posts