The Lotus Cars Community banner

461 - 480 of 497 Posts

·
Integrator
2,720 Posts
Discussion Starter #461 (Edited)
Radius Arm Bushing replacement

Worn radius arm bushings adversely affect rear suspension geometry/handling.
Since the access is difficult, the bushing failure may not be easy to detect.
Rubber parts don't last forever, thus they should be replaced (after 25 years).

LOTAC 05457 pink poly bushings are an excellent replacement. (my previous experience tells me to stay away from yellow poly).
On pre-94 cars, the old bush removal requires slacking nut #38, withdrawing bolt #35 (11/16 or 18mm sockets), and unhooking the arm #17. Removing bolt 28 is a royal PITA, since access to the nut 30 is very bad (both 13mm sockets). Installing it back is even more difficult. It is much easier with the help of magnetic 13mm socket, but it is a "blind " operation.

To make life easier, graft a Tapping Plate A082U7760F, which was used on V8 cars, ( item 38 in the last picture). On the left side, the engine mount heat shield has to be partially removed to gain access/insert tapping plate, sorry.

When replacing the bushings, toe correction can be performed.
On earlier cars, there is only one way of adjustment. It is done by withdrawing arm 17 every time you need to change the quantity of spacers/washers 37.
On 96-2004 cars, this adjustment can be done by changing quantity of washers 46,
or by partially slacking bolts 45 and adding shim-plates 39 &40 A082D4171F, A082D4170F, without withdrawing arm #17.

These V8 parts, if installed on your (early) car, significantly reduce time and complexity of the toe adjustment.
/

Attachments

·
Premium Member
457 Posts
Thanks, once again, Mr D for posting yet another item that all of us Esprit folks should be aware of, and fixes!:up: That first picture of the worn bush is, to me anyhow, quite disturbing, considering that without taking things apart it is completely uninspectable, :facepalm(is that a word)?

·
Registered
3,218 Posts
Not completely uninspectable. You can notice the rear wheel moving fore-and-aft in the wheel well during acceleration and braking. Or on a lift you can use a bar to try moving the trailing arm. In any case, if you have original bushings they should be replaced anyway because they are WAY beyond their design lifetime.
David Teitelbaum

·
Super Moderator
3,792 Posts
My 87 Turbo Esprit is getting its Service C plus. I had the mechanics replace the gas tank hoses to balance pipe - they ran a camera probe into the tanks - absolutely spotless - not a spot of rust inside at 71K miles. He was speculating the tanks might have been replaced previously but definitely clean pristine tanks.

Despite that, I had already acquired the Earl's fuel filter and 5/8" barb fittings as per MRDANGERUS' earlier posting. The objective was to catch any rust particles/debris that entered the tank and would damage the new fuel pumps.

However, on the 87, not sure but the fuel lines were 1/2" not 5/8" as was MRDANGERUS' 88 so the mechanics had to source new fittings.

Here's the picture of the installed filter. Peace of mind to reduce contamination damage.

Attachments

·
Super Moderator
3,792 Posts
I noticed that my pre-fuel filter is mounted higher than the pumps (to keep high ground clearance).
But I realized it would cause fuel starvation when tanks down to 1-2 gallons (air rising up higher than fuel pump).

So I asked mechanics to remount lower.

Noticed that MRDANGERUS mounted his very close to the pumps; although the vertical position of the filter seems like it would cause a tiny hiccup on a low tank??

http://www.lotustalk.com/forums/1606516-post3.html

·
Integrator
2,720 Posts

·
Registered
260 Posts
Dangerous - really nice job on the replacement for the radius arm bushings....excellent. No doubt my bushings have seen better days.

Where did you purchase the LOTAC 05457 bushings? They don't seem to be too widely available.

Thanks

·
Integrator
2,720 Posts

·
Integrator
2,720 Posts
Discussion Starter #471
Turbo blankets

I found out that no matter what the outside of the blanket is made of, the inner side burns out fast if it has only stainless mesh and bare fiberglass.

I found a much better Lava Titanium blanket (olive green inside and outside), which has a silica fiber on the inside.
So far-so good, it keeps the compartment temperatures reasonably moderate.

Search on eBay for: 1320 T3 Titanium Turbo Blanket Heat Shield Barrier Turbocharger Cover Lava

Attachments

·
Integrator
2,720 Posts
Discussion Starter #473 (Edited)
Esprit headlights brightness improvement

Bright PIAA bulbs give you 100-110W performance from 60/55W bulb due to a patented gas technology.

H1 PN# 15224
H4 PN# 11655
Great improvement when you upgrade from weak sealed beams !

Attachments

·
Integrator
2,720 Posts
461 - 480 of 497 Posts