The Lotus Cars Community banner

1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
813 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
While searching around for information on this cage I discovered that Safety Devices made the cage for the street X180Rs back in the 80s/90s.

Looking at their website they offer several bolt in cages for different lotus models including some of the older back bone style chassis. The prices are surprisingly reasonable so I reached out to see if they still had the jigs and could make an X180R bolt in cage for me.

Unfortunately not, here is the reply:

Hi Erik,

Many thanks for your email, and please accept my apologies for the delay in coming back to you.
Unfortunately our Lotus Esprit roll cages were discontinued and are no longer available. Sadly we also no longer have the jigs or patterns for production.
Therefore I am sorry that we are unable to help on this occasion.
Kind regards,

Jodi

Safety Devices International Ltd
Cambridge House, Holborn Avenue, Mildenhall, Suffolk, IP28 7AN

Main Tel: +44 (0) 1638 713606

Not sure I would install a cage but interesting to think about.

If any body knows where one of these cages is sitting on a shelf I would love to get some measurements and look into having one fabricated.

·
Super Moderator
3,931 Posts
There was a Safety Devices bolt in cage on eBay a few years ago - I ask Safety Devices how it was installed. There was a part number on one bar but they said their records said it was custom and they had no other info.

The reason I asked was it was not clear if the bolt on kit had all the parts and definitely non-intuitive how it worked/ bolting to the chassis.

I did get impression part of cage relies on long bars pressed against fiberglass floor were part of the strength in a roll over but not sure. There was some tie in to the backbone chassis but again not obvious how the modifications were done.

I might have pictures somewhere and will post if it might help.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
813 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I think I saw some of those posts, but the pics were no longer working. Love to see pics if you have time to dig them up.

Also, some one posted a picture from a factory parts manual for the cage. I cant find the thread, I think it went off topic. I would like to save that picture if anyone knows where it is.

·
Super Moderator
3,931 Posts
Only one pic but in my old post here

·
Registered
813 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Perfect Thanks Sleek. Looks like that would move the seat forward at least an inch. Might be a no go for me.

·
Super Moderator
3,931 Posts
Reminder that if you converted to Elise seats, you might be able to make up for the roll bar intrusion.

·
Super Moderator
3,931 Posts
email conversation with seller in 2016 - you might be able to ping him on ebay 'aluu949' and see if he still has it - not sure if it sold.

Your previous message

Thanks - if you don't get pictures from the original owner, any chance you can temporary
assemble the cage into what it looks like?

I see the two L pieces, but can not figure out if they go out to the engine?
Or toward the front floor area near the air vents like on the X180R?

The three straighter pieces are also hard to envision - one piece looks like
it interconnects the two L pieces? Where do the other two pieces connect?

aluu949:

I've been tracking down info about this cage ever since I initially posted the listing.
Here's what I've found so far, this cage was made by Safety Devices UK and two
versions of the cage were made for the 180R. Both jigs have since been destroyed.
This is bolt in cage that is simpler of the two types. The rear hoops pass through the
rear window and can be considered a "clubman" cage suitable for track days.
If used on the street a rear window would have to be replaced with plexiglass with
appropriate holes cut and deleting the engine cover.

Your previous message

Safety Devices told me the 'LOT1' serial number means this was a custom roll bar
for an individual Esprit customer. It is not an 'off-the-shelf' Esprit roll bar.
They said it looks very similar to an Esprit roll bar, but they had no additional
information about how to install it or whether it truly is for a V8 Esprit.

Do you have pictures of how it was originally installed? That would help determine
if this would work in non-V8 Esprits as well.
]​

·
Registered
813 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
No luck I am not turning up his Ebay user name. Was this cage in the states? I checked EBAY US and UK.

·
Super Moderator
3,931 Posts
He was from San Marcos, California in the post.

·
Registered
63 Posts
I bet it’s easier to flip an appliance dolly than an Esprit...

And, yeah, I don’t have an inch to lose in mine, either. Interesting topic, though.

·
Registered
813 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I actually want a roll bar/cage for 3 reasons.

1.) Harness mount
2.) Cool/Bling Factor
3.) Stiffen up Chassis a bit

Not super worried about roll over or hitting my head in an accident on the street. I would properly pad and/or mount so my noggin could not reach it.

·
Super Moderator
3,931 Posts
I actually want a roll bar/cage for 3 reasons.
No need to explain - I drove Ford Mustang GT convertibles for 19 years before I got my Esprit in 2011.
Note the license plate.

I too wanted an Esprit roll bar, but logistically much harder to do.

Six point roll bars (custom welded) make convertibles much better handling with wind-in-hair. Nothing else like it.

·
Registered
813 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Does anybody have the drawing of the cage in the service notes or parts manual? A picture of the page has been posted before but I cant search it out?

·
Registered
813 Posts
Discussion Starter #16

Interesting page

In the build photos you can see how the cage was attached. I like the idea of doing away with the wood and adding steel tubes! I imagine the noise coming through the thin steel panels is something else.

Also, I have these wheels on my car! I bought a silver set from Rayhal - he is mentioned in the article as one of the drivers/owners.

·
Registered
813 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Thanks Travis - those are awesome.

I am talking with Kirk Racing that does roll cages exclusively about putting something together.

Also, I reached out to the guy who was the crew chief on that car in the GGLC linked above.

He happens to be local. I wonder if he could take on a project like that.

Have you ever seen the lower mount behind the seat? How is that tied in. Is it actually in the engine compartment where the tie in is? Or is it behind the seat against the fire wall.

·
Registered
813 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Kirk just got back to me and said they have done a few Esprit's. They would like to have the car to do the work. Its a four hour tow so have to think about that.

That is great footage of the cage.

Yeah if you put the hoop behind the firewall and put the bars that come forward along the floor inside the boxed area it would be fairly unobtrusive.

1 - 20 of 30 Posts