The Lotus Cars Community banner

1 - 20 of 82 Posts

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi everyone,
Will be getting my ardent red tomorrow, anyway I still don't know if the headlights are Xenon charged or is it an option. anyone please tell me? :confused: :confused:

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
thanks mrluky. is it true that the first oil change is at 1000miles and it costs around 250 bucks?

·
Registered
79 Posts
Someone is going to do it themselves before it becomes a standard option... I'll bet money on that.

·
Registered
113 Posts
Veryfast, congratulations on getting your car. Lots of fun to drive. I posted my ECU printout earlier and below is link to get you there. This is what Lotus sees when they printout the ECU during your first service at 1000 miles. Not sure if you have read other threads regarding the engine warranty and break in. If not, be sure to read the owners manual on breaking in your engine. I paid $247 at Fox Valley for my first service.

http://www.elisetalk.com/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=7142

·
Registered
79 Posts
Was it just an HID kit or something made specifically for the Lotus?

Contrary to belief there is at least one retailer stateside that will sell you a HID kit.

·
Registered
79 Posts

·
Registered
970 Posts
chrisngrod said:
Was it just an HID kit or something made specifically for the Lotus?

Contrary to belief there is at least one retailer stateside that will sell you a HID kit.

there are no specific xenon kits for the elise or any other car for that matter...you need a H1 base...all start out as the round P32d standard base but have to be modified to fit H1, 9006, 9004 , etc. Here is what an H1 should look like.

http://www.elisetalk.com/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=6586

·
Registered
79 Posts
I didn't know that weren't any specific kits for the Elise, but your information isn't completely correct.

Sylvania makes a couple of complete replacements kits for vehicles. I'm talking about different housings and everything. They are even dot approved.

I gave the link hid-light.com in case someone wanted to get an HID kit stateside at a competitve price.

·
Registered
79 Posts
In most cases they will be illegal. There are hardly any dot approved upgrades. You can always keep the kit in there and go back to the normal bulbs for inspection. I've checked my lights a lot since getting a kit to ensure I don't blind anyone on the road. I never get anyone flashing their lights at me.

I have reflector lamps right now... One advantage is that you guys have projectors. The beam pattern will probably be good despite the new bulb.

Post pictures of your work :).

·
Banned
338 Posts
how easy is it to modify the base

I was wondering what is involved with modifying the base of the light??

·
Registered
79 Posts
If you search google on this topic I'm sure you'll find some sites. I just purchase them from companies like the one I've listed. That way I know the base will fit in a proper manner.

·
Registered
12,374 Posts
Another possibility, and a lot cheaper, is to simply upgrade the quality of the standard bulbs. The Osram SilverStars (not the Sylvania SilverStars) are highly recommended. Check this thread. More light than stock, completely legal.

·
Banned
338 Posts
Hello Tim

I was wondering how the Osram SilverStar bulbs compare to real HID bulbs?? Have you seen anyone who has HID's on their Elise?

·
Registered
79 Posts
No where close in light output but much better than a halogen. Expect it to be a few shades whiter than your stockers. The two main points though are 1) it's cheaper 2) it's legal.

·
Banned
338 Posts
changing bulbs...

I don't have my car yet but I was wondering if you can change the bulbs the outside or do you have to get at them from under the car and remove the front clam???
Cheers

·
Registered
79 Posts
For the 55W marked segment, sorted in order of brightness:
+50%: Philips Vision Plus (achieves its extra performance by increased luminance, not lumens. See this article: http://www.eur.lighting.philips.com/press/automotive/resultsVision.shtml
+30%: Philips Premium, Osram Silverstar (European marked only - see note below)
+20%: Osram/Sylvania Xtra Vision, Osram/Sylvania Silverstar (North american market only - see note below)
+0%: Philips Bluevison, Osram/Sylvania Cool Blue, Osram/Sylvania Halogen Plus, and OEM bulbs like GE.
-10%: PIAA Superwite

Silverstar: Do not confuse the European (clear glass) Silverstar with the North american (slightly blue tinted) Silverstar. The blue tint steals light!
PIAA "Xtreme White" was released ~Dec 2001. No independant tests have been conducted so far, but several positive indications has it that this can end up in the +20-30%.

Note that many cars sold after year 2000 already have premium bulbs installed and therefore buying any of the above bulbs might not give any or only minor improvement. Among H7 applications, there should be hard to find non-premium bulbs.

If your car is set up for higher wattage bulbs, Philips Rally bulbs will give more lumens than most asian overwatts. Be aware that lifetime of a Philips Rally bulb is ~100hours - so keep some spares in the glove compartment.

Narva bulbs are also top notch. Narva is a daughter company of Philips with one intention: compete with top notch products on the aftermarked. Philips themself are OEM oriented.

Did you choose a higher wattage bulb? Just curious... Some people wind up burning out their wiring cause it can't handle the current.

1 - 20 of 82 Posts