The Lotus Cars Community banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
9,150 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Here they are! Note how sweet the colors of the receiver and mounting bracket (and antenna) look in the black Elise interior. Also note that it does not get in the way of your legs/feet.

Attachments

·
Registered
9,150 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
And the antenna, placed on the dash right between the vents. Reception is perfect except when a large hill or thick, large building is to my west. This is similar to my Spyder with the antenna mounted on the trunk lid.

Attachments

·
Registered
3,684 Posts
more detail of how the roady is actually mounted? is that the roady 2? oh wait...maybe it is not a roady at all... make that details on skyfi install. is it an L bracket with the skyfi vehicle adapter mounted to it? just screwed into the underside of the dash?

·
Registered
9,150 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I didn't do it. Circuit City goons did. It took them 3 hours. Mounting the antenna was problematic because of the firewall between the cockpit and the rear trunk lid. The solution is elegant and simple. And it is a Skyfi radio. It's wired into the stereo, which is great.

Thee are existing holes in the bottom of the aluminum ledge that the goons were able to use. I think they had to drill one hole, but it's under the A/C controls so you'll never see it.

·
Registered
3,684 Posts
huggy

i have used a roady in many rental cars and just placed the antenna on the dash- very similar to jerry's example. it was free to bounce around a bit but there was absolutely no problem with reception. even less problematic in the elise with no metal berriers between antenna and satellite. this way theere is no UGGY xm antenna on the engine cover (like the beast on my spyder).

jerry, is there a hole drilled for the antenna wire?

fyi there are a number of mounting options sold by xm from their web site. some are pretty cool with a removable adhesive application. i'll look at the underside of the dash before allowing goons to drill it. i would opt for the 3m adhesive mount method if the under surface is smooth enough

·
Registered
1,167 Posts
well since there's already a hole in the boot lid i figure why not use it and stick something in it.

for me it would bother me to see the antennae all the time while driving versus seeing it most of the time when i'm outside the car. it wasn't a question of reception quality but one of aesthetics and preference. i'll be putting xm in also.

·
Registered
9,150 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
But you don't see the antenna. It's lower than the heigth of the vents. And in between them. You don't see it unless you're looking for it. And it doesn't move at all, even while autocrossing.

They said they were able to feed it through without drill any holes. Nice.

·
Registered
3,684 Posts
good info, surf! thanks

1 - 11 of 11 Posts