The Lotus Cars Community banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Illegal Alien
5,308 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Kit is in development, POB. while this is listed for the Exige V6, we all know that the Evora and Exige share the same engine and transmission so compatibility V6 issues should be minor to none.

ISSUU - Lotus Racing Parts Brochure by Lotus Cars

Xtrac 426 sequential 6-speed, driving rear wheels, transverse layout dog
engagement, reverse and neutral engagement protected semi dry sump, force
feed lubrication, internal gerotor pump, external oil cooler reverse cut directly
onto the primary shaft (Homologated ratios and final drives), gearbox cooler

Next bonus check is 5 months out and now spent already ..rotfl

·
Registered
216 Posts
Would love to have it. I've seen a few Xtrac used sequential boxes for 10k so I assume this kit is close to 20 plus install.

I believe the GT4 uses one. A 400 whp Evora with a sequential would be a monster. This would really tighten up the response of the shifting.

With the additional financial backing, I bet Lotus starts to add these bits to future Evora models.

·
Registered
216 Posts
As Julian stated it should work for the new Exige and the N/A and S Evora. Same engines and transmission. I think the only difference is the steering wheel between the car. Two of my friends own the new Exige V6 and they have a different wheel.

I assume this kit would have to be programmed into the ECU as well.

·
Illegal Alien
5,308 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Would love to have it. I've seen a few Xtrac used sequential boxes for 10k so I assume this kit is close to 20 plus install. ..
Maybe 20 k Pounds if luck, but I am figuring on $40k USD

·
Illegal Alien
5,308 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·

·
Premium Member
1,404 Posts
I wouldn't expect it to lastt longer tha 10k Km without disassembly and rebuild. Remember it wasn't built for the street.

·
Premium Member
1,042 Posts
If you're planning to put less than 2K miles a year on your car I don't think this will be a very functional gearbox for the street. Last I heard from Allen at VSA he said they had to rebuild the GT4 clutch after only few thousand miles and that's track miles. Just imagine a 7K clutch job every 2-3K miles. You'll pay more for labor than the gearbox itself.

·
Registered
935 Posts
re: Xtrack

I checked on Xtrack.

Great transaxles. Widely used in all kinds of racing (with Honda motors and others). USD$40k. It is a racing box, so plan on 2 rebuilds per season. Professional teams strip the car after ecery race...

It is just in a different league....

Anton

·
Registered
2,409 Posts
interesting to see Lotus is now offering a high flow header and downpipe setup for the 2gr-fe..though the 2bular still seems to be a much better designed unit.

·
Registered
2,409 Posts
remember too that most of these companies (xtrac, sadev, etc) have specialized tooling (10 grand wrenches for Sadev!) and whatnot that is required to even crack a box open...so you would need a local race shop to do it.

I would be interested in the clutch option though....two piece sintered high stress? sounds like a longer term solution

·
Illegal Alien
5,308 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
As to rebuild mileage. So true, but remember as to street use age, 1 track mile = about 10 street miles and even my other cars don't see but a few track events per year.

·
Illegal Alien
5,308 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
interesting to see Lotus is now offering a high flow header and downpipe setup for the 2gr-fe..though the 2bular still seems to be a much better designed unit.
Surprised by that header tube, I saw real headers on the Factory GT4 and GTE's

·
Registered
935 Posts
re: Metallic clutches

What is shown there is a metallic clutch.

Stay away!!!

It is an on/off device. If you slip it for smooth take-off from a stop-light, like your current clutch, it will immediately burn out. It will burn the clutch and the heat will destroy the spring. Metallic clutches are a terrible engineering compromise. I spent $1000's on them. When you watch F1 or Indy cars, of old, take off from a pit stop, they spin the rear tires. It is not because they have so much power or want to show off. It is because they need to engage the clutch without slipping and to prevent from stalling the motor (you can watch sometimes the tire is too hot will grab and stall), the tires spin. So the clutch is connect/disconnct device and the tire does the slipping. All of this puts a lot of stress on the drive-line and wrecks trannys...

The only advantage of a metallic clutch is that it will hold a lot of torque (when fully engaged).

The solution is a Carbon-Carbon clutch. It will cost more to buy but will save $$ in the long term. It can be slipped without burning up. The feel is not as nice as regular organic clutch. It will hold as much or more torque than the metallic.

The moral of the story is :

1. Use regular organic clutch, if you can.
2. Use Carbob-Carbon clutch, if you can afford it.
3. Use metallic clutch, if you must save $$.
4. Exeedy, Spec make all kinds of single and mulit-plate clutches in different compounds. Tilton or AP are the racing vendors.
5. Do not ever buy a metallic clutch as an upgrade, unless you really know what you are doing.

Anton

remember too that most of these companies (xtrac, sadev, etc) have specialized tooling (10 grand wrenches for Sadev!) and whatnot that is required to even crack a box open...so you would need a local race shop to do it.

I would be interested in the clutch option though....two piece sintered high stress? sounds like a longer term solution

·
Registered
2,409 Posts
good to know. unfortunately...we still face 30 hour clutch jobs :(

1 - 18 of 18 Posts