The Lotus Cars Community banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
1,104 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Anyone here ever drive one? Are they fun compared to dirt bikes and 4-wheelers?

They look like they would be a blast! and I need a new toy:D

Attachments

·
Registered
271 Posts
You may also want to look in to the Polaris Rzr. It's similar to a Rhino in concept but has better safety records. My friend has a pair of Rzr's and they are tons of fun in the desert.

·
Plug Whisperer
6,305 Posts
I've got one... then several friends followed suit... They are every bit as much fun as they look!:cool:

Best,

Phil

·
Registered
7,708 Posts
ive been seeing more and more of them at the offroad parks...
they look pretty cool....ive seen them climb dirt and sand pretty well, not sure how they are climbing big rocks.....
the good thing is that u can bang them up a bit and not have to worry abt damaging your expensive "real" truck while offroading it and having fun.

not sure what they cost, but i know the aftermarket is growing for them.

·
Registered
6,037 Posts
I've looked at them and they are spendy but look like a lot of fun. Side by sides run from the strickly utilitarian to the sporty and the Rhino is definitely on the sport end. Incidentally, I have a buddy who supercharged his Rhino. He could literally get the front end off the ground under hard acceleration. Not suprisingly, he flipped it in his driveway.

·
Registered
1,104 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I've looked at them and they are spendy but look like a lot of fun. Side by sides run from the strickly utilitarian to the sporty and the Rhino is definitely on the sport end. Incidentally, I have a buddy who supercharged his Rhino. He could literally get the front end off the ground under hard acceleration. Not suprisingly, he flipped it in his driveway.
How about an R1 engine? :evil:
<object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/ekt9mncSduk&hl=en&fs=1"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/ekt9mncSduk&hl=en&fs=1" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>

·
Registered
326 Posts
The following opinion is based on observations from someone who has done a lot of offroading in the deserts of southern California, Arizona, Nevada, and Mexico.

If your going to spend the money on a side-by-side, why not just buy a used mid-travel dirt or sand car, or a used rock crawler. The side-by-sides are fun for a while, but like the hoardes of off-roaders that fell victim to the Socal desert golfcart fad, I think you'll soon reach the limit of these short wheel base vehicles and discover that they are pretty limited in capability. The only advantage that I see to the side-by-sides is that they're a little easier to pull out when you stick them.

Didn't catch where you're from, but if you plan on visiting the California desert, a nice street legal mid-travel car like a 4-seat Manx clone, Baja, or VW Thing would out run a side-by-side any day of the week, and you can drive it there and back if you don't plan on beating it too badly.

If your into rock-crawling and mud, a street-legal used Jeep Wrangler set up for crawling will do everything a side-by side will do and then some.

Have fun.

·
Plug Whisperer
6,305 Posts
I agree with Hay on some points... The place where I've enjoyed the Rhino best is up in the mountains and around the house. The Rhino can take all the quadbike paths, which are too small for Jeeps or similar. Plus it's a lot more fun to ride with a spouse or buddy in a side-by-side rather than than a traditional a quad- front to back.

If the dunes are the only place you ride, the UTVs will all seem underpowered in stock form. Hello Supercharger in that case. It truly is hard to beat the UTV/Rhino for trail riding though. Much more fun than a Jeep or rock crawler, IMO... I had very capable rock crawling rig, so I'm speaking from experience here.

Of course the MOST fun for all the above is to go buy a 500 dollar early 80s toyota 4x4 truck. Bolt a roll bar on it, remove the glass, and add some decent tires. No need to lift it or spend anymore money on it. Then run the snot out of it. If it rolls, it rolls. Flip it back over and continue on. No hard feelings. If it won't fit between two trees on the trail_____ make it fit, as we know sheet metal conforms:D I've had way more fun with "beaters" than I've ever had with my more expensive properly prepared toys.

Another couple pents for the jar...

Best,

Phil

PS- I've got some pics of the Rhinos on my homepage along with my old rock crawler...

·
Plug Whisperer
6,305 Posts
Here's the ticket;)

1985 Toyota 4X4

Can't compare a dirtbike to a Rhino... Is a bike more fun than a Lotus? They're just different...

Best,

Phil

·
Plug Whisperer
6,305 Posts
It _is_ hard to argue with 2 wheel fun... I've got both bikes and quads... It's really fun to bust through trails with the wife or a buddy sittin next you. That's what is so fun about the Rhino___ sharing the experience with someone else. If I'm by myself or just wanting to ride solo, the dirt bike is the way to go though... Street bikes are boring unless you've got friends to "cruise" with or take them to the track, IMO.

Back OT, the Rhino is far and away still the UTV leader. It has the biggest aftermarket and following. There are some new more sporty variants that recently came out, but they loose pretty much all their utility. Nice thing about the Rhino is that it's sporty enough to air it out, but has enough utility to carry your big 48 can cooler, tools, pop-up tent, etc...

-P

1 - 12 of 12 Posts