The Lotus Cars Community banner

1 - 20 of 51 Posts

·
shay2nak
24,978 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Does anyone own this bike? I was seriously thinking of buying one of these. I've never riden a motorbike before, so I'd like to get first hand accounts on safety, ride, gas mileage, insurance costs, etc.

Attachments

·
Registered
2,195 Posts
I can't decide if this is a troll or not.
R1 as a first bike. Hmm... Didn't we just have this thread?

safety: Entirely in the palm of your right hand. On that bike, my hand would be the demon-spawn mortal danger to the rest of my body and license.

ride: Fast. Zero to blur in no time. Incredibly agile. Very demanding of the rider. Makes a gokart feel like a yaght stuck in a glacier.

gas mileage: Does it matter at all?

insurance costs: "Hello? Hi. I'd like to insure my shiny new R1. No, I'm still working on getting my M-class license. No, never ridden before. Full coverage, yes. Hello? Hello?"

I dunno man, you'd have to consider yourself at the very leading edge of the bell-curve to mount that one first and learn the ropes on it.

Me, my first stop from the dealership would be Jail. :)

·
shay2nak
24,978 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
really? I don't remember seeing a thread on this or maybe I didn't pay attention.

·
Registered
4,985 Posts
I've got a friend that has one and we trade off now and again. It's big disgusting fun. It's also quite possibly the worst bike to learn to ride on ever made. I'm not one to say that it's impossible to safely learn to ride on a modern sportbike (my first bike was an Honda F2) but I still think it's a terrible idea.

Think about this, too. You're almost guaranteed to drop your first bike a couple of times. Do you want to do that with an $11k bike all covered in ridiculously expensive bodywork and shiny parts?

Before you buy any bike, sign up and take the local MSF class. It will cut your insurance rates, probably work as your license test and teach you more than you would guess. After the class you'll probably have a much better idea of what kind of bike will work for you to learn on.

And buy the best safety gear you can afford and _always_ wear it.

·
shay2nak
24,978 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
hi andy,

I plan on taking the class first. I'm guessing you don't need your own bike to take it. I mean you need the license first before you can buy the bike, right? So if you don't have a license, then you can't buy/ride one, then how can you take the riding class?

Thanks for your advice. I was definitely planning on buying the best safety gear and always wearing it.

·
Registered
5,159 Posts
As ground loop is saying, the saftey aspect is entirely in yours hands, but this is really a lot more bike than you need for your first bike. Sort of like getting LSS on a first sports car (actually 10X worse, due to the power).

·
Registered
1,256 Posts
they will provide you with a bike for the MSF class. In most states it will qualify as the on-bike portion of the license test also.

DO NOT BUY AN R1 AS A FIRST BIKE!!!!!

It is not like driving a car where you can buy a viper as your first car and be ok. YOU CAN DIE. Of course some people buy a liter bike to start and are totally fine, but the risk is immense. This is a serious life and death issue. I have been riding for my whole life (got my first bike, xr50, when i was 4) and i still am scared shitless by most liter bikes.

I have no vested interest in what you do so i have no reason to lie to you. In general i think people should buy whatever they want. But, motorcycles are a different issue. They are serious machines and bring with them very serious risks. The risks a new rider takes on by starting on a bike like an R1 are astronomical...much more than you can know at this point in your experience.

If you would like some suggestions of better bikes to start on i'd be glad to help. If you want a good new bike i highly recommend the Suzuki SV650. I had one for a little while and it was a blast to ride. Still very quick but a smaller v-twin so it is much more manageable.

-Steve

·
Registered
1,256 Posts
Vantage said:
Sort of like getting LSS on a first sports car (actually 10X worse, due to the power).
Try 10000x worse.

Possibly a better argument than safety is that you really won't enjoy the bike as much as you should. A bike is much more fun if you can be really comfortable on it and not have to be scared of it. If you're a new rider and not scared of an R1 you're going to be paying some serious hospital bills...if you're lucky.

-Steve

·
Registered
4,985 Posts
All the places that teach the MSF beginner class that I've ever heard of provide the bikes. You'll learn in a parking lot full of cones riding these ridiculous looking Honda 125s or similar. It will look like a joke. But it will be hard.

You won't need a license for the class. Depending on local rules they may want to have your beginners permit, or maybe not. The big bad secret is that some large percentage of people riding do not have any kind of motorcycle endorsement. I never had a dealer give a **** whether I had a license or not as long as I brought money.

Here's where I'll get a little preachy. I'll do this because I love all the Elise community like brothers and sisters. Also because there's an uncomfortable number of people that I've known that have died in motorcycle accidents. More still that walk a little funny or don't look too good without a shirt anymore. So here it goes: If you're thinking that an R1 is a great first bike, that tells me either that you do not yet know enough about motorcycling to be buying a bike, or that you are a fool. And from your posts here I don't think you're a fool, so go and learn. Ask your instructors for advice. Ask other riders that you respect what they think. And realize that even in the end if you get a bike a lot less powerful than an R1, it will still have the acceleration to make the Elise feel like a turd.

·
Registered
1,256 Posts
andykeck said:

Here's where I'll get a little preachy. I'll do this because I love all the Elise community like brothers and sisters. Also because there's an uncomfortable number of people that I've known that have died in motorcycle accidents. More still that walk a little funny or don't look too good without a shirt anymore. So here it goes: If you're thinking that an R1 is a great first bike, that tells me either that you do not yet know enough about motorcycling to be buying a bike, or that you are a fool. And from your posts here I don't think you're a fool, so go and learn. Ask your instructors for advice. Ask other riders that you respect what they think. And realize that even in the end if you get a bike a lot less powerful than an R1, it will still have the acceleration to make the Elise feel like a turd.
Andy, i totally agree. I hate sounding preachy but when someone hasn't ridden they just can't possibly know. Buying an R1 as a first bike is exactly the same as playing russian roulette. It is an incredible risk and also totally unnecessary because so many slower bikes are still so much fun.

-Steve

·
shay2nak
24,978 Posts
Discussion Starter #11 (Edited)
I'm glad I asked you guys, I totally agree with all of you. A friend of my friends lost his leg and another's cousin died. So that is my biggest concern. I don't know if the R1 would be a good first bike. I just instinctively went for the fastest bike I could find. One of my friends test rode one and said it was pretty nice and very fast. He's riden bikes before, so I wouldn't know what to expect anyway.

My main use for this bike would be to navigate through heavy traffic. I see bikes all the time go through traffic like a hot knife through butter. On top of that, I would like the bike to be pretty quick accelleration-wise. I'd like to buy one because I always wanted to. They seem very fun but at the same time very dangerous.

·
Registered
2,195 Posts
I still think it's a lot more fun to ride a slow bike fast than a fast bike slow.

If you get a bike that you quote "outgrow" in a year or two, it's still a unique pleasure to take to the hills and just wring its neck through some twisties. When you feel you've extracted every bit of lean and squirt the bike has to offer, it's still fun.

Riding an R1 through city traffic at life-preserving mortal speeds, that's just torture.

·
Registered
2,195 Posts

·
Registered
687 Posts
My friend told me this story once about how this dad bought an R1 for his son for his 18th birthday. Cheaper than a car, right? He didn't realize he would be quoted $7000/year to insure his son. No, the son didn't get the bike.

The Elise has 190 hp and weighs ~2000 lbs. This bike has 180 hp and weights ~400 lbs. And you are considering this for a first bike. Are you insane?!!!

·
Registered
8,270 Posts
Your first bike should be a beat up junker, because, either you'll drop it or your friends will. Almost everybody drops their first bike. Listen to all the advice above, it's way too much of a bike for a first timer.

·
Registered
6,802 Posts
Shay,
I'll chime in here too.

By all means take the MSF first, they do provide bikes usually 125 or 250s.

I've got a friend with an R1, I"m a reasonably experienced rider and probably do 20,000 miles a year on motorcycles. Switched off with him (I had a duc 996 at the time). The R1 is incredibly quick and VERY twitchy, no way can you safely learn on this bike. You can look on ebay and in cycletrader for the tons of R1s damaged with low miles for sale.

A very docile and inexpensive bike to learn on is the suzuki sv650. A bit more upright seating position and you can ride long distances comfortably. These have been built for a number of years so you can get them on ebay or cycletrader all the time. I believe a new one is in the 6000 dollar range. You also won't outgrow this bike quickly either.

Don't know your age, but insurance will be cheaper than an R1 too.

Finally, get the proper (expensive) riding gear. Good helmet, gloves, jacket, (pants too but to be honest I don't wear leather pants around town).

Chris

·
Supporting Vendor
4,199 Posts
Shay,

What they said.

SV650 is a great bike. Perfect commuter/first bike. You would likely keep it for commuting and then get an R1 in a coupla years..or join the rest of us with Ducatis. :cool:

Be safe. Ride smart. Have fun.

·
Registered
3,664 Posts
shay2nak said:
really? I don't remember seeing a thread on this or maybe I didn't pay attention.
The thread wasn't about the R1, it was me asking an honest question about a CBR600F4i - which Ground Loop attacked me for if I remember correctly.

1 - 20 of 51 Posts