The Lotus Cars Community banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
97 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
So. Astute readers will note I had bought an 05 Lotus Elise to run in AS to replace my 09 Pontiac Solstice GXP coupe I had run locally and had decided although I won the local championship this past year, it was NOT the car to have in AS! I penned a letter to SCCA, they said nope, Solstice is where it belongs and as I like weird, quirky stuff, the Elise had a great appeal!

REALLY astute observers will note I had acquired a very nice Nightfall Blue 05 with some mods that I would need to change back to run legal in AS. (Seats, exhaust, radiator, rotors..and 56K miles) I really loved the Chrome orange cars, but the Nightfall Blue had become my 2nd favorite. Pretty sweet car that felt good and was within 100 miles of me. Bought it. I started ordering stuff to put on the car and change back to stock AS legal stuff, I had not found/bought seats yet. I got to run it in one practice and was happy to be @ 3 secs. of Andreas in his Beautiful CO NA Exige with fresh rubber and several mods.

Sooooo, there I was minding my own business and a BONE STOCK , Chrome Orange 05 with 12 K miles showed up for sale for the same price as the Nightfall, and was 4 miles from where I got the first!!.... uuuuhhhh, what do I do? Well, By looking at the pics, you already know!

What to do with the Blue car is the question... I'm actually not anxious to sell it.. and I promised the owner I would offer it back to him first when purchased....but I digress.

Unlike the practice in the blue, that was a smaller lot. This last event was on our large West lot in San Diego. I had already sewn up the annual class win against a couple Vettes and Porsches in the Solstice, but some were still slugging for 2nd, so great time for a baseline test!

So, if you look close, in one pic you will see "standard" Elise wheels on the orange car. It is not an LSS car, most stuff on LSS I can change anyway, so no biggie, have SSR rims in LSS size, so good there..I had also procured a spare LSS wheel/tire set. Combo choices as follows
Blue Elise= 4 yr old RE-71s on LSS rims
Spare LSS rims= 2 year old Toyo R888s
Stock Elise = 14 year old Yoko 071s ? (so old were out of the question, whatever they are)
SSR LSS size rims had slicks mounted..

I'm guessing you all sided with me in picking the 2 year old Toyos to run. What that meant was I was putting LSS sized tires on "STOCK" Elise springs/shocks. I am not exactly sure how that affected a baseline, but oh well. I have acquired the extra oil cooler needed and now have two sets of LSS shocks I think.

Observations:
When you buy a lo-mileage Elise that has been stored outside sporadically, and driven even more rarely and are new to Elises as a whole, pay attention to the spare brand new looking battery bracket laying in the trunk. Even when you glance over at the battery and see a clamp in place. The battery slid for and aft with a bit of effort... but where could it go?
Answer- After your first 100 yard 5 cone slalom attacked with aggression at the start, your car will lose power, lose dash display, not restart, but carry you with enough momentum through the 180 sweeper to make a 270 and coast off course. You will then open your boot to see your battery (Thankfully sealed) laying on its side and the cables detached. At that point you will see where the "spare" hold down clamp in supposed to go!. Place the battery back, stick the cables back on by hand and you can drive back to paddock to fix. (It turns out the battery it had was about 1/2" or less too wide to fit between the brackets, I ended up mounting the spare bracket upside down with some other "Spare screws" that had been taped to the hardtop and then some elaborate zip tie affair to the visible clamp that held for another 8 laps till done.)

2nd run: Spun and did a 360 and drove back upstream to prevent a DNF. 15 seconds off pace of leaders.
3rd run: Car felt good, revs hard, constantly fighting push the tail happy.. but felt good.. now WITHIN 1 sec of Porsche Cayman drivers that had just beaten me in Solstice at last event by less than .250 sec! (They are now getting used to the car after about a year)
4th run: Things were coming together, everything felt right and riding the limit of most everything... come in... my laptime was.. 1.3 seconds! woo hoo, top time of day!! :( Not really clocks messed up- rerun
5th/rerun.. went well, but a previous section that was fast and I hit limiter in 2nd, Was trying to short shift a lane change, but the car and tires were not ready for that yet.. slowed 1.3 secs/dnf

Went out to work course and lots of other people.. the more I thought about, our days in the giant west lot were numbered, it was a great course and I LOVED driving the Lotus!! I snuck back over to registration and entered X runs after lunch!
X runs, got more consistent and had 2 runs 3 tenths faster than earlier... so HAPPY!!

Next up, already here to be installed, or on order
BWR hardcore front
76936962_431954287493207_4297324490016161792_n.jpg
75636017_903130840071510_1210505737462087680_n.jpg
76907110_2393574807431406_7086071094888628224_n.jpg

Next up, already here to be installed, or on order
BWR hardcore front bar
SSR rims
DA Penskes AS legal
2Bular exhaust
I suspect will run RE-71s

Woo Hoo! Happy Thanksgiving!, Hope I gave you something to read and enjoy, enjoy your holiday and any inputs appreciated!

·
Registered
16 Posts
Is the second battery bracket the same stock bracket? Would you mind posting a picture if it is not stock?

I had similar excitement with my stock battery bracket. Ended up designing a new “cage” style bracket, and now that battery stays PUT.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
97 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Is the second battery bracket the same stock bracket? Would you mind posting a picture if it is not stock?

I had similar excitement with my stock battery bracket. Ended up designing a new “cage” style bracket, and now that battery stays PUT.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
The car has only 12,000 miles, so I think its an original bracket and I think the two are different..

·
Vendor
3,097 Posts
Very cool! Your CUSTOM AS legal Penskes are on their way.... I neglected to take a photo of them before packing the box but they almost look too good to put on the car! It will take some fiddling, but I think you'll really get this car dialed in.

·
Registered
97 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Very cool! Your CUSTOM AS legal Penskes are on their way.... I neglected to take a photo of them before packing the box but they almost look too good to put on the car! It will take some fiddling, but I think you'll really get this car dialed in.
I am dancing a jig of excitement, can't wait to try my first set of Penskes on my own car!!

1 - 8 of 8 Posts