The Lotus Cars Community banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
691 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Virginia abusive driver fees have been repealed!! Apparently refunds will be issued for those who have had to pay them over the last 9 months or so.

For those who aren't familiar with these they were put into law last July as civil remedial fees and simply tacked on huge, mandatory fines for almost all driving offenses ($1000 +).

Yay:clap:

·
Registered
1,357 Posts
SWEET! Burn it up:shift:

·
Registered
9,297 Posts
So, in other words, they're now endorsing driving in an abusive manner?
rotfl
:shift:

·
Registered
6,515 Posts
That's great for you guys! Unfortunately, I've no doubt the People's Republic of Maryland will soon adopt the abusive driver's fees to close a $200+ million budget shortfall, but take it a step further, nail out of state drivers. Which, as you know, Va did not.

Our Governor, Speaker of the House, and President of the Senate never met a tax, fee, or fine they didn't love.

·
Registered
814 Posts
At least I only have to drive through 10 miles of Maryland when I drive up north compared with hundreds of miles of VA. Good news for sure!

·
Registered
12,374 Posts
So, in other words, they're now endorsing driving in an abusive manner
In case you were serious, no.

The "abusive driver" fees were in addition to any normal fines. They could easily be $1,000 a year for three years for relatively minor infractions. Any thing "reckless" fell into that category, and that includes any ticket issued in a parking lot for instance. Anything over 20 MPH above the speed limit (and for reference,, if you are driving 55 on the freeway, most cars will be passing you at 75+ MPH) etc. The actual fines for the infractions were/are already high, the fees were in addition so the law makers could collect more money - something they freely admitted to as it was the main purpose of implementing the fees.

·
Registered
2,795 Posts
Yikes, glad I live in Texas. You're fine driving as fast as you want as long as you don't kill anyone. ;)

·
Registered
4,164 Posts
Yikes, glad I live in Texas. You're fine driving as fast as you want as long as you don't kill anyone. ;)
Even if you kill them, you're still O.K., as long as you skin them, make jerky out of them and eat them.

·
Registered
6,981 Posts
Even if you kill them, you're still O.K., as long as you skin them, make jerky out of them and eat them.
No no no. You just have to dig up, or fabricate, a bit of trash about the people you run over, and then the community will think you're a hero for finally taking them out, and you can all settle down and talk about your gun collections.

xtn

·
Registered
9,297 Posts

·
Registered
1,179 Posts
I disagree there. I drove through Texas a few years back and was pulled over for 2 miles over the speed limit on the freeway. :crazyeyes I did not get a ticket but I guarantee you I would have if I was a jerk about it. The officer did a U-turn and drove across the median to pull me over. I had my cruise set to the speed limit because I was warned about them being so strict and he caught me going down a hill which is why it went 2 mph over. I was in my Supra at the time, not exactly a race car. It was kind of funny when he said "I caught you going a couple over back there". I bit my tongue and didn't say what I was thinking which was "yeah, two". I am just glad he let me go with a smile and I didn't shoot my mouth off at him.

·
Registered
11,221 Posts
I disagree there. I drove through Texas a few years back and was pulled over for 2 miles over the speed limit on the freeway. :crazyeyes I did not get a ticket but I guarantee you I would have if I was a jerk about it. The officer did a U-turn and drove across the median to pull me over. I had my cruise set to the speed limit because I was warned about them being so strict and he caught me going down a hill which is why it went 2 mph over. I was in my Supra at the time, not exactly a race car. It was kind of funny when he said "I caught you going a couple over back there". I bit my tongue and didn't say what I was thinking which was "yeah, two". I am just glad he let me go with a smile and I didn't shoot my mouth off at him.

I would have told him what I thought. :crazyeyes That is inexplicable.

·
Registered
9,297 Posts

·
Registered
2,026 Posts
Even without the "abusive driver" law Virginia makes 20 over the speed limit or 80 reckless driving. How do I know? I got caught in a speed trap in EBF going to LOG in St Louis. Lawyers and court fees are expensive.

·
Registered
12,374 Posts
Even without the "abusive driver" law Virginia makes 20 over the speed limit or 80 reckless driving. How do I know? I got caught in a speed trap in EBF going to LOG in St Louis. Lawyers and court fees are expensive.
Yes, the rest of the laws and the associated fines remain in place.

Just the excessive fees that the politicians put in place to make extra money. The politicians claimed it was in the name of "safety" but they freely admitted that it was simply to generate revenue for the state budget.

There are many reasons that the law was really stupid and ineffective. It is in use in several other states, and it has caused problems in each of those states (but they are not repealing the fees as they depend on them too much).

·
Registered
1,964 Posts
I wondered how they got away with that for this long..
great news

·
Registered
1,812 Posts
Glad to hear the overzealous law was overturned. It's a sad state when speeding merits a harsher penalty than prostitution and assault (yes, that is the truth).

Yes, the rest of the laws and the associated fines remain in place.

Just the excessive fees that the politicians put in place to make extra money. The politicians claimed it was in the name of "safety" but they freely admitted that it was simply to generate revenue for the state budget.

There are many reasons that the law was really stupid and ineffective. It is in use in several other states, and it has caused problems in each of those states (but they are not repealing the fees as they depend on them too much).
Many officers will still throw you in jail for doing 20+ over in Virginia (especially NoVA). That started happening back around 2005 or so. I used to work with a lady at DOS that got pulled over doing 82 on I-495 around 10:30 on a weekday night. She's a mother of three and very level-headed - she was promptly handcuffed without any question and taken to jail for the night.

·
Registered
7,115 Posts
Glad to hear the overzealous law was overturned. It's a sad state when speeding merits a harsher penalty than prostitution and assault (yes, that is the truth).
Thats becasue its expensive for the state to catch and prosucute for prostitution or assault....
trafiic is cheap and easy and a budgetable and gaurenteed ROI.

"most" law enforcement is revenue, nothing more

·
Registered
12,374 Posts
I wondered how they got away with that for this long..
They passed the law (unannounced) just before they broke for the season. The state legislature didn't start up again until sometime in January, so it couldn't be repealed until then. Now they have to refund any of the fees that they did collect.

Oh yea, now they have to figure out how else they can get the money.

They did a similar thing with red light cameras. After a couple of years of trial, they decided that red light cameras did nothing to reduce running red light wrecks, and in fact caused a significant increase in wrecks and injuries from rear endings. Their study found no safety improvements and added dangers and costs to the public. So they banned red light cameras. Then about a year ago, the new batch of representatives passed a law allowing red light cameras state wide, "for safety". Of course, they also acknowledged that it would bring in significant revenues.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts