The Lotus Cars Community banner

1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
825 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Test drove the yellow LSS car at Gonzaba today. Holy schmolies Batman, this car is a insanely cool. I got to drive it for about 45 minutes, then road with Adam P for another 20 or so. The owner of the dealership gave me free rein into the cam changeover. The sound (stage 1 exhaust) still permeates my brain. So uhhh, that's pretty cool. Not the neck-snapping thrust that some of the articles make it out to be, but very noticeable. Felt great highway traffic, spurting through holes like a watermelon seed. I hit the mid 120s passing a Civic through a turn. Incredibly stable. Then we found some country roads and I got to feel some moderate cornering.

Wow. It is one of those great cars that you are immediately comfortable driving fast. I kept the speeds moderate since it wasn't my car, but drove it hard enough to be very impressed. The worst part about this car is that you'll never get near the limits on the street. You just can't get it to work hard in the normal world. I am going to get in so much trouble with this car.

Attachments

·
Registered
394 Posts
It was very cool meeting you this afternoon.... I am thinking I will be driving the car every day after work until my car gets here!!

Adam P

·
Registered
825 Posts
Discussion Starter #12 (Edited)
A few of other thoughts:

The pedal spacing was perfect for my size 12 shoes. Any further any heel-toe would have suffered. Plenty of space.

The brake pedal is too soft. I'd prefer less assist.

The mirrors are awesome. Very easy to see out and check your blind spots.

The car didn't feel any smaller than a Miata in traffic. Much larger than my old X1/9. People saw us coming from a long way off.

The A/C couldn't keep up with the heat with the top off, and it was only 95 degrees. But it felt great every time we came to a stop, which is when you need it.

Sport suspension was very comfortable. Much better than my 95 F150.

The sound is incredible. I would describe it as having the same shredding air sound as a V8 Ferrari, but lower in pitch and slightly muffled. This is with the Stage 1 exhaust.

People who are saying not to buy the car for straight line speed are right. The car accellerates very well, but 133 foot-pounds of torque are never going to throw you back in your seat.

Gear change felt good to me, but I have low standards. I've never owned one of those fancy modern cars with good gearboxes.

Interior room was fine even with a passenger. Entry and exit were no problem at all (I'm 6 even and 175lbs).

Wow this car feels great. I can't stress that enough. I drive a lot of sports cars when instructing at track days. Rarely do I really feel comfortable in a car until I have about 30 minutes behind the wheel. I felt comfortable in the Elise by the time I left the parking lot. It is a confidence inspiring car.

·
Registered
1,167 Posts
JeffersonRaley said:
The sound is incredible. I would describe it as having the same shredding air sound as a V8 Ferrari, but lower in pitch and slightly muffled. This is with the Stage 1 exhaust.
Interesting!

·
Supporting Vendor
4,199 Posts
Excellent pix!

How rough are the roads you drove on? A bunch of folks here are concerned about how 'rough' the LSS <i>may</i> be. Any additional insight you or AdamP could give would be appreciated.

·
Registered
970 Posts
JeffersonRaley said:
Test drove the yellow LSS car at Gonzaba today. Holy schmolies Batman, this car is a insanely cool. I got to drive it for about 45 minutes, then road with Adam P for another 20 or so. The owner of the dealership gave me free rein into the cam changeover. The sound (stage 1 exhaust) still permeates my brain. So uhhh, that's pretty cool. Not the neck-snapping thrust that some of the articles make it out to be, but very noticeable. Felt great highway traffic, spurting through holes like a watermelon seed. I hit the mid 120s passing a Civic through a turn. Incredibly stable. Then we found some country roads and I got to feel some moderate cornering.

Wow. It is one of those great cars that you are immediately comfortable driving fast. I kept the speeds moderate since it wasn't my car, but drove it hard enough to be very impressed. The worst part about this car is that you'll never get near the limits on the street. You just can't get it to work hard in the normal world. I am going to get in so much trouble with this car.

man, you crack me up..."i kept it moderate"..."hit the corner in mid 120's"???...cant believe the dealer let you drive that long let alone hit 120!...In college, I once took a supra turbo around a corner so fast during testdrive that we did 4 wheel drift 3 ft off the highway...needless to say, we went straight back to dealership as soon as the salesman got his testicals outta his mouth...:)

BTW, are you sure this was st. I exhaust???...stock isnt st. I is it?...I thought the upgrades were st. I and II and I havent heard that exhaust upgrade was available yet.

·
Registered
513 Posts
I didn't know there were any LSS elises here, guess I missed something.

Great pics & review. First time I've seen what my car will look like (SY w/ LSS).

JeffersonRaley said:

The A/C couldn't keep up with the heat with the top off, and it was only 95 degrees. But it felt great every time we came to a stop, which is when you need it.
LOL... isn't that asking a lot of a car? Can any convertible keep up with the heat with the top off and 95 degrees? That'd be one helluva A/C system, not to mention some extra weight.

·
shay2nak
24,994 Posts
Re: Re: Yellow Demo @ Gonzaba (pics)

mact3333 said:
BTW, are you sure this was st. I exhaust???...stock isnt st. I is it?...I thought the upgrades were st. I and II and I havent heard that exhaust upgrade was available yet.
check out how far the pipes stick out and how thick they are. Definitely stage 1.

·
Registered
394 Posts
shinoo said:
Excellent pix!

How rough are the roads you drove on? A bunch of folks here are concerned about how 'rough' the LSS <i>may</i> be. Any additional insight you or AdamP could give would be appreciated.
I have put about 50 of the 200 miles the car has on it. I can say that the ride is not bad what so ever. I would say that my old 04 sti was MUCH harsher then this car with the lss on it. We went over some "wave" like bumps at about 50mph and the car was flawless. I cant say that I am disapointed in my decision to order the sports pack.

If you are not happy with the ride of the lss package then you need to re-consider what kind of car you are purchasing. This car is the only pure sports car out there on the market today for the USA. The lss is overly comfortable in comparsion to my old e30 m3 and my more recent 04 sti, and the sti was a 4 door family getter!! I personaly wish it was alot stiffer as I believe it would be more benifical for the track with some hooser dadies!!

Adam p

·
Banned
338 Posts
Hi Adam P-I also currently have an STI..was it

Adam, I was wondering if it was easy to sell your Subaru STI.?? I have yet to test drive the Lotus, I plan on testing it this week and I am sure to like it since I really like small tossible cars. After I complete the test drive, I plan on putting my Subaru STI up for sale.
By the way how did the stereo sound?? Any bass at all???
Cheers Doug

1 - 20 of 28 Posts