The Lotus Cars Community banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
467 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I managed to find a Exige S muffler to replace my Stage 2. The muffler sat in a workshop for years. Only has 10k miles on it.

Its smoking like crazy and leaving yellow soot around the tail pipe. The smell is like burnt plastic.

Ive driven it for about 1hr total.

What would this be and is it likely to burn out no problem? From my experience they can have oil soaked carbon which has to burn off but this is a little different.

There was so much smoke I thought the car was on fire.:|

·
Registered
467 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Note: Car was running fine with the other muffler so the chances of it being the catalytic converter or engine are low.
My guess is its burning off dust/dirt.

·
Happy To Be Here
2013 Lotus Evora IPS - Carbon Gray
856 Posts
Sounds to me like something took up a residency inside the muffler and didn’t take their nest with them when they left. What they made their nest out of, who knows. Could be grass, plastic or anything else nearby. That’d be my guess. Any way to get a bore scope in there to see what’s left?

·
Registered
467 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Sounds to me like something took up a residency inside the muffler and didn’t take their nest with them when they left. What they made their nest out of, who knows. Could be grass, plastic or anything else nearby. That’d be my guess. Any way to get a bore scope in there to see what’s left?
Looks like it! Are these sort of mufflers alternating baffles (ie there is a ton of room in there for a rats nest) or are they a perforated tube with baffles/packing?

I should have hosed it out. Guess since it hasnt started a fire I should be pretty safe to just drive and hope the smell burns out.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts