The Lotus Cars Community banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
5,607 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
After spending 7 hours messing with our swaybar ( redrilling) and adjusting suspension/aligning car last night....we autocrossed today.

Had some fun with the blue painters tape. Put waaay too much on the car. Some local kids were helping us so it turned into a decorating session :D
Also so many people asked me about the "Honda" motor that I finally ( as a joke) put Its got VTEC YO! on the back quarters.

The car behaved a little better today with its new adjustments. The course was very tight. FTD was a non fendered mod car with 50 flat. We were running low 53's still on the "street" tires...so we're getting there slowly but surely.

I'll attach some pics. :clap:

·
Registered
2,438 Posts
OFL,

Are you picking up any chips behind the rear wheels on either side of the diffuser? Seems like a vulnerable spot.

Jim

·
Registered
5,607 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
No, but we've also not run hoosiers or any really sticky tires yet. So far the rear sections are fine. I put the blue tape on to curtail cone scuff marks. Of course today we didnt hit any cones.

·
Registered
1,244 Posts
Over did the tape? I'D SAY SO! How'd you do time-wise vs. comparables? Is the Elise a playa?

I am SOOOOOOOO jealous. :bow:

·
Registered
5,607 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Yeah, the kids were helping us put it on and it turned into a "decorate the elise" more than protect the lower sills.

The Superstock winner is a seasoned racer in a purpose built Z06 on Hoosiers. He ran a 51.5 we ran a 53.2 on our "street" tires.

Yes, I think the elise will be a player but we're going to have to work our asses off to keep up, its not going to be an easy ride. I look forward to getting some Hoosiers early next year and playing further with our suspension settings etc and tweeking some more.

By the way Cerven...we have our last autocross this year on October 31st....you should come down and see us!! George is one of the course designers so we're outthere from 7am until about 5pm...good fun. You can ride along and check the car out!

·
Registered
485 Posts
I had alot of fun today running the Elise with the new alignment and redrilled front sway bar. The lot we ran today is always slippery and sandy. I did alot of sliding.;) The lot was also rough/bumpy in spots which made the car fun to control under hard braking or acceleration. I am slowly learing the car and cant wait to put the beat down on the Vettes.:D I am going to continue running the stock tires until next year and see what is offered.

BTW, I would have placed second in SS, which is not good enough for me.

·
insert clever title here
7,702 Posts
Your car actually looks pretty good with the tape on there, they did a good job! Kinda reminds me of those Porsche racers at LeMans way back (Gulf was the sponsor, I think?).

·
Registered
1,766 Posts
Did you drill a hole inside the stock front mounting hole to increase the front bar rate? Seems that it needs a little more front bar for autocross. Or at least a little less oversteer.

·
Banned
6,941 Posts
At least in my case I thought that more front bar was warranted for autocross. I wound up drilling the sway bar for a stiffer setting option. And I installed much firmer bar mount bushings. The firmer bar bush and end link position option should up the bar rate about 40-60%. The stock rubber bushings are squishey soft...which means that at first they allow little bar action while things compress. I measured a durometer in the 60s for the stock bush. You can deform the rubber with your fingers if you poke around the area. When they first added the front bar (to help deal with some twitchey oversteer behavior in S1 cars) they used a stiff nylon bush which sqeaked and wore rapidly. So the fix was to use a quiet low maintenance rubber bushing which lowered the effective rate from the bar.

·
Forum Founder
29,081 Posts
I also agree it needs more bar.

And I am thinking that I should use that tape too.

·
Registered
5,607 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
James A said:
Did you drill a hole inside the stock front mounting hole to increase the front bar rate? Seems that it needs a little more front bar for autocross. Or at least a little less oversteer.
Yes, we drilled it out to the inside of where the stock hole is. We didnt put in poly bushings though. Where'd you find those stan?
I'd really like to see an even bigger aftermarket bar.

There's alot more tweaking to be done on this little buggar.

Randy, the tape is highly recommended.

1 - 20 of 26 Posts