• Yes

Votes: 42 53.2%
  • No

Votes: 37 46.8%
1 - 20 of 43 Posts

·
Forum Founder
29,081 Posts
Are you wondering if you should get LSS?

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I'm #1 on the list, and I have ordered it with the sport package.. I am just curious what's that majority of people driving them on the street.. It looks like more people will driving the Elise with the sport package, which means the standard version will be more rare to see, lol!!! :D

·
Registered
5,607 Posts
I just hope people who are getting LSS arent getting it just for the wheels. I think they'll be unhappy with the harsher ride.

Im gettting it because I race Solo II and the wider spec'd wheels are better for me and rules state I HAVE to get the entire package in order for the wheels to be legal.

If I werent racing solo II I would go with the standard package and do my own thing with the suspension and wheels later.

·
Registered
601 Posts
Love the wheels...just can't justify spending that much more for them. I also do not need a stiffer ride as this car will be on regular roads more then the track.

·
Registered
156 Posts
OneFastMiata said:
I just hope people who are getting LSS arent getting it just for the wheels. I think they'll be unhappy with the harsher ride.

One of the big reason I'm going for LSS is for the wheels.

I prefer the look of the stock rims, but you are going to shed a heck of a lot of unsprung weight with the LSS wheels.

Also getting rid of some of that understeer that Top-Gear was complaining would be a nice bonus.

·
Registered
6,301 Posts
I agree - until I have more experience with driving a mid-engine car, I would rather have the understeer - I can always upgrade the suspension with LSS or aftermarket later, even though I do prefer the LSS wheels and would like the reported .2 sec improved 0-60 time

by the way I heard LSS really stands for Lots of Spinal Shock

·
Registered
442 Posts
I think it's fair to assume that most of the 0-60 improvement comes from the tires, rather than the suspension.

I get a little nervous about my insurance rates when I hear that folks without a fair bit of mid-engined experience are going with the LSS. For my sake (and your's) take it easy in the rain.

·
Registered
6,301 Posts
AuS4 said:
I think it's fair to assume that most of the 0-60 improvement comes from the tires, rather than the suspension.
I am sure that is true -the tires and the lighter wheels - I didn't mean to imply otherwise - just that the tires/wheels are part of the LSS package....

·
Registered
156 Posts
LarryB said:
Just be aware that oversteer will bite you alot harder then understeer, more so in a mid-engine car. ;)
MR car with understeer is probably a lot safer for the average driver._

Right now I drive a front engine AWD (Audi A4), so the Elise will be a WORLD of difference for me.

That why I plan on taking the Skip Barber 3-day racing school before getting delivery of my Elise.

IMHO it would be a bit reckless to get the Elise without at least some experience in a MR car.

They say that most of the crashes happen in the first 1,000 miles.

·
Registered
3,664 Posts
I'm getting it not for the wheels but because I'm buying this car for performance and am willing to live with the harsh ride to get the performance I want (I would be willing to live with the harshness of a go-kart). My car will see the track at least 3-4 times a year, hopefully more... but will only be a nice day/weekend toy on the roads. There is a very nice track opening up near where I live which I hope to be able to go to pretty often in the summer. Criticize me for getting LSS on a car that will mostly be driven on the road if you want... I don't care what anyone else thinks, I'm buying this car for me, not to impress elitists who think they're the final word on motorsports.

·
Registered
2,744 Posts
I'm buying it for the track/ax and the occasional weekend. It will not be an everyday driver.

I want LSS because I dont want to have to wait to do all the upgrades that I'm going to do anyway.

·
Registered
3,927 Posts
Something to be aware of, even with Lotus dialing in a understeer bias for the standard version, it's a mid-engine car. Push very hard, throttle off and you'll get quick oversteer, hit the brakes very hard and the tail will come around. My approach to this type of thing- know the pro's and con's and what you want/will have to live with. The sports package will be a harsher ride, tires will wear very quickly (5-7k miles for the rear). The Elise does poorly with bad traction, it's going to be lousy with the A048 tires. If your not use to neutral handling in a mid-engine car, be very careful about exploring the limits. The only real pro is the neutral handling dynamics with slightly sticker tires and lighter weight wheels. Which is hardly a minor one. :D

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
The only other aftermarket upgrades I can think of that I will get for sure will be window tints, HID lights and a car cover. The LSS takes care of my performance upgrades.. Until I want more power down the road and start modding.

·
Registered
1,744 Posts
The Elise will be mainly a street car for me and since I live in Pittsburgh the land of potholes LSS is out. IMO it’s best to get the car setup for the applications you will be using it for most often:

Street use = Standard (street suspension)
Track use = LSS (track suspension)

Of course many will get LSS for the look. Personally I prefer the look of the stock wheels. I think looks would be the wrong reason to get it, but to each their own.

·
Forum Founder
29,081 Posts
Agreed Derek.

LuvDatElise.... I vote for Red.

·
Registered
2,744 Posts
Notice how its now 60/40 LSS to stock, but isnt the rumor that only 10% of the cars are coming with LSS?

Houston, we have a problem!

1 - 20 of 43 Posts