The Lotus Cars Community banner
1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
349 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Some of you may have been following my saga "buying my first evora". About a month ago, I found the perfect car ... but on the day the transporter was to pick it up, some yahoo at the dealership wrecked it.

The search started anew

After a month of search and negotiating I found another great car. A 2012 with just 250 miles on it sitting at the Lotus dealership just 50 miles from me. See pic below. Amethyst Grey, loaded with everything including suede, IPS (for wifey) and the price ... I was buying it for $55K. Yesterday was pick up day ... but ... I received a email:

I really didn’t want to give you this information in an email but I also understand that returning a phone call in the middle of a work day can be difficult. Let me first say that this is not a sales game or any kind of deception on my behalf. The facts are when I went out to check the vehicle for the original window sticker per your request I found water in the vehicle’s passenger side floor board, and not just a little bit of water. The carpets are soaked to the point that when I put my hand on them water rises up out of it like a sponge. I do not know how long it has been there or how bad it has been in the past but it’s bad now. As I’m sure you can appreciate water in cars is something we take very seriously. Looking closer it does not appear that the window was down or that there is an obvious operating issue with the car, which frankly is more disturbing.

I hope that you can appreciate the fact that as a dealership, and personally, we are not comfortable selling a vehicle in this condition. Again let me assure you that I’m not playing any games here, we’ve removed the vehicle from online listings and have pulled it off the line….it is not going to be sold by Southpointe. I feel bad because I know buying a car is a journey and having that journey come to an abrupt and sudden end in this manner is not pleasant. If there is anything I can do for you please let me know. In no way is this email intended to be a substitute for a phone call, if you would like to speak about it I am at the store all day. Please accept my apologies and I again hope that you see we are simply trying to do the right thing here."

AWWWWWWWWWWWHHHHHH ... the search starts again.

The vin number on the car is: SCCLMDTC4CHA10276

Imagine my pain, after agreeing on a price, getting the finance done, scheduling a pick-up date ... and then getting that email

Attachments

·
Registered
349 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
I am not sure were the car is going ... or what is really happening to it ... but I figured that the Evora community needs to know. If the car does turn up somewhere else, I plan to keep all the paper work, buyers agreement, etc... and contact lotus directly ...

·
Registered
686 Posts
Well if the dealers honest, sounds like he did you a favor, even though the situation sucks.

·
Registered
349 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Very possible that they sold it or dealer traded it ... I am not sure I'll ever really know.
The sucky part is how they can just cancel everything contract and all and give me an excuse ... and never let me see the actual damage.

·
Registered
349 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I was going to pick it up on saturday. I actually drove up and test dove it on Tuesday, agreed on a price on Wednesday, completed the buyers order and worked out the financing with the dealership.
They were suppose to prep the car on Thursday ... and I could pick it up on Friday or Saturday.

When I test drove the car just two days before ... it was perfect!

·
Disciple of Chapman
1,620 Posts
Did the dealer offer to find you another car?
Should have let you inspect the car and given first right of refusal
Lotus climate control has been known to cause leaks into the passenger foot well

good luck on your search

·
hello
301 Posts
When I test drove the car just two days before ... it was perfect!
Did you get an enormous amount of rain or snow in the past two days? The description makes it sound like the car is totaled or something and the dealer does not want to sell it to you at all. He could be an honest dealer, but such water damage within two days sounds unusual. Unless you somehow missed the water in the passenger side. I think he should have let you verify the damage and let you decide.

Good luck with your search!

·
Registered
944 Posts
Bummer---here is current Autocheck:

2012 Lotus Evora
Coupe 2D 3.5L V6 Unleaded Gas
Report Run Date: 2014-01-26 20:42:27.864 EST
VIN: SCCLMDTC4CHA10276
Title and ProblemCheck: Your vehicle checks out!
OdometerCheck: Your vehicle checks out!
Vehicle Use and EventCheck: No vehicle use reported
Full History: Detailed information available
Calculated Owners: 1
Calculated Accidents: 0
Last Reported Odometer Reading: 260
This vehicle qualifies for Buyback Protection
Safeguard your investment with AutoCheck Buyback Protection, which reduces the risk in buying a used vehicle.
AccidentCheck
Not all accidents / issues are reported to AutoCheck.
Your vehicle checks out! No Accidents reported to AutoCheck.
Title and ProblemCheck
0 Problem(s) Reported: 15 Title/Problems areas checked:
No abandoned title record
No damaged title or major damage incident record
No fire damaged title record
No grey market title record
No hail damage title record
No insurance loss title or probable total loss record
No junk or scrapped title record
No manufacturer buyback/lemon title record
No odometer problem title record
No rebuilt/rebuildable title record
No salvage title or salvage auction record
No water damaged title record
No NHTSA crash test record
No frame/unibody damage record
No recycling facility record
OdometerCheck
0 Problem(s) Reported: Mileage Date Reported
260 10/01/2013
Vehicle Use and EventCheck
0 Event(s) Reported: 6 Vehicle uses checked:
No fleet, rental and/or lease use record
No taxi use record
No police use record
No government use record
No livery use record
No driver education record
0 Event(s) Reported: 9 Vehicle events checked:
No accident record reported through accident data sources
No corrected title record
No duplicate title record
No emission/safety inspection record
No loan/lien record
No fire damage incident record
No repossessed record
No theft record
No storm area registration/title record
Full History
Event date Location Odometer reading Data Source Details
10/01/2013 FL 260 Motor Vehicle Dept. ODOMETER READING FROM DMV

·
Premium Member
1,404 Posts

·
Registered
349 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
The car was perfect just two days before (no water, no bad smells, very clean car). We did get some rain here in SW FL, so it is possible rain got into the car.

·
Registered
7,369 Posts
What a bummer.

For what it's worth we've driven ours in real downpours without any detectable leaking.

This will work out for the better in some way.

·
Registered
349 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
All

I just want to update everyone. The dealership did in fact contact Lotus about the issue and it appears that the dealership really did take the high road. I must admit, I was thinking that they probably sold it to someone else but I did get a notice from Lotus North America indicating that the dealership did indeed contact them about unusual water ingress.

It appears that the dealership saved from the problem. Way to go Southpoint Lotus!

·
Registered
166 Posts
All

I just want to update everyone. The dealership did in fact contact Lotus about the issue and it appears that the dealership really did take the high road. I must admit, I was thinking that they probably sold it to someone else but I did get a notice from Lotus North America indicating that the dealership did indeed contact them about unusual water ingress.

It appears that the dealership saved from the problem. Way to go Southpoint Lotus!
Thanks for the kind words rskdsk! We try our best to do what is right here at Southpointe, but we also realize how a lot of people feel about dealers. Not happy about the outcome in regards to getting you a vehicle, but overall I feel like the right decision was made.
[email protected]

·
Premium Member
52 Posts
rskdsk,
For what its worth Euro Mororcars has virtually the same car for sale in their showroom. Give Jamie a call there Im sure he'll treat you right as well.

1 - 20 of 31 Posts