The Lotus Cars Community banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
364 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I took a bit different approach than the other install threads on this forum. Concept is pretty simple. Its a battery tray secured to the existing holes with a strap across the top. I also installed a pigtail so I can hook up the Ultimizer without opening the trunk. (*edit* http://www.lotustalk.com/forums/1255271-post8.html)

First question was what materials to use. I figured, for a riveted/bonded aluminum car, what could be better than a riveted/bonded aluminum battery tray? :cool:
Here's the finished tray

And the completed installation

This was all done with hand tools, so I'd expect it to turn out better if you have bench tools.

Materials (available at Lowes, likely Home Depot also)
  • 1.5"x1.5", 1/8" thick right angle aluminum stock (for tray and to reinforce attachment to floor of boot)
  • 1.5" wide, 1/8" thick aluminum stock (used as filler for tray to create flat surface for battery, and on strap to keep backside of rivets from contacting the battery)
  • 1/8" thick aluminum sheet (for tray to vehicle attachments)
  • 3/16" medium length aluminum rivets (for hinges)
  • 1/8" medium length aluminum rivets (everything else)
  • Loctite metal/concrete epoxy
  • Heavy duty furniture pad material for lining battery tray to isolate the rivets from the battery
  • 2 lockable latches
  • 2 latch pins
  • 2 hinges
  • Thick electrical tape in places to reduce abrasion where the tray may someday contact +/- battery cables

The battery cover still fits, however the edge where the snaps are is now too high for the carpet to snap down.

Now if only the epoxy was the same color as the adhesive on the rest of the car. :)

·
Registered
9,294 Posts
It looks like it's in prison. I guess it won't be going anywhere until the warden says so.

So how much does it weigh? :D

·
Registered
364 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I'm sure its not the lightest solution, but I wanted something secure and serviceable without tools. I'd guess its about 1-2 lbs. I'll blame it on the steel parts!

...and yes, I'm going to have a hard time giving up those chairs at some point. They just don't make them like they used to :up:

1 - 4 of 4 Posts