The Lotus Cars Community banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Premium Member
590 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I took my '98 Esprit by the local window tinting installer; he immediately expressed concern about doing a proper job on the rear quarter glass which, as everyone knows, is pretty difficult to reach. He was considering removing the tail gate; but was very concerned about reattaching correctly.

Anyone have experience to share?

·
Registered
859 Posts
My tinter had no problem reaching around from the side of the car to do it. Is your tinter really short? You probably need a tinter at least 6' tall or more to be able to reach around without having to climb into the trunk and do the job.

·
Registered
911 Posts
My quarter or sail panel windows remove very easily, they are only held in with butyl tape (windshield installation rubber mastic) I figured all Esprits were like this. Have you guys tried using a heat gun to loosen them, that would be much easier than removing the deck lid.

·
Premium Member
590 Posts
Discussion Starter #4 (Edited)
My tinter had no problem reaching around from the side of the car to do it. Is your tinter really short? You probably need a tinter at least 6' tall or more to be able to reach around without having to climb into the trunk and do the job.
Actually he's taller than me; around 6'4".
He's done three of my other "non-lotus" cars, offers a lifetime warranty and seems to be a "artistic" meticulous kind of guy; I'm thinking he is concerned the result will not meet his standards. I'll hit him with the idea of not holding him to a warranty on the rear quarter panels and see how it goes.

Or maybe he's Really a klutz and afraid he'll botch too many attempts and waste a few yards of material...

"sail panels"; I like the sound of that... Let it be known forever to never utter q...r panel... It's my "sail panel" window, dude...:D

Thanks

·
Banned
1,594 Posts
For the tail gate, he just needs to mark the mounting points so he can put it back the way he found it. It's 6 screws and a wiring connector and it's off.

·
Registered
4,852 Posts
I did mine, but I removed the 1/4 windows to re-seal them... a real pain to cut through the adhesive a times...

Removing the hatch can be a pain, mostly in order to get it realigned so that the latches work, and do get stuck. They should remove the locking pins until they know it is aligned with the body, and then use vise-grips on the latches until they know the latches are aligned and will properly release the locking pins... otherwise the hatch will be locked shut!!! been there.

·
Premium Member
590 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Got the tint finished. We detached the struts and propped the gate up with a broomstick

Only issue was the electrical connections for the rear defogger interferes with a smooth fit on the sides of the rear. Not very, if it all, noticeable

·
Registered
911 Posts
Do you have any photos of the car with the windows tinted? I've never seen an Esprit I dont believe with tinted windows.

Every time I here the term "window tint" it reminds me of when I was 18 years old, because here in PA window tint is sometimes illegal, sometimes not. And back in the 80's we actually used to have a circuit to cruise around and I was always getting busted for it (window tint). I actually asked the DOT once here in PA, and they said if the vehicle is built on a truck frame, it can have the rear side windows and rear windows tinted, otherwise its illegal to tint the windows in a passenger car.

I also heard there is a "tint measuring device" that can tell if the tint is too dark or not, as the tint has a level of darkness that makes it from protection from the sun to "you are doing something illegal in your car and we cant see it" grade! WOW, this whole topic is a throw back for me, I remember once I had to peel my windows right there on the curb while the officer watched. Of course this is back in the same days when I had to dump out an entire 30 pack on the side of the road as well. I should post a photo of the car I used to drive back then, but you guys would laugh me off this forum.

I have a feeling if I tinted the windows on my bright yellow Esprit, it would definitely get me pulled over in no time.

·
Banned
1,594 Posts

·
Registered
4,852 Posts
I had 4% tinit on my Acura for years without being pulled over, and then during the economic crisis, the police decided to pull me over 3 times in 2 weeks. They did have light transmittance measurement devices and found that the tint was illegal (4% is darker than some limos).

So I had to get everything redone legally, which is 33% for all side and rear windows, or if any of the rear windows are less than 27%, then you can't have any tint on the side windows.

I tinted my Lotus 1/4 windows, when I re-sealed them in about 2002, with 37% tint.
I would like to do my side windows with about the same. I did the tint myself, and it was fine until I scratched it removing the fuel tanks...

Compared to non-tinted

That 37% is totally legal in CO.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts