The Lotus Cars Community banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
866 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Well I just got off the phone with another vendor who is developing a turbo kit for the Elise. Some of you in the Evo world might recognize the name, Shiv Pathek from http://www.vishnutuning.com/. They have done very well tuning WRX/STI(s) and EVO(s). They apparently have developed a light pressure turbo kit for our car as well. However, they will not do custom work, and are awaiting delivery of their own personal mule car to develop the kit on first. They hope to enter their car in the one lap of America next year. The person I skope to said that their turbo kits will be available in six months to 1 year for the general public, and wll be offered as packages. They will not do custom work, and until their own products have been fully tested and tuned, they will not touch our cars.

However, as the self-appointed turbo guru of this forum and having spoken to many different vendors, i would think that they would do high quality work. They have odne amazing work with their EVO and WRX programs. They have also done some Porsche turbos and Miatia turbo applications.

I just wanted to let everyone know that he travels across the country working and tuning cars, and when he releases his kit, he most likely will tune it personally if you can get him whe he visits a shop near you. This is good news for all of us, as the more companies that are interested in offering products, the better off we all are.

P.S. I am not going to use them for my car, I don't want to wait a year. I just like to keep everyone informed about the possibilities and release the fruits of my homework to all.:D :) :cool:

·
Registered
1,579 Posts
I have heard that their customer service has really gone downhill. It used to be ok, but now it looks like they're so busy that they don't have time to take care of their customers anymore. Even before that, they were about the last of the big tuning companies that I would have bought from. I didn't necessarily have very objective reasons for that, just intuition from talking to people, and seeing them post to message boards.

·
Registered
866 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
ConeFusion said:
I have heard that their customer service has really gone downhill. It used to be ok, but now it looks like they're so busy that they don't have time to take care of their customers anymore. Even before that, they were about the last of the big tuning companies that I would have bought from. I didn't necessarily have very objective reasons for that, just intuition from talking to people, and seeing them post to message boards.
I assume that you are a COBB tuning man then? Whoever you support and like it personal, and I agree that their customer service utilizes a different model. Remember the CEO of the company travels across the country to tune cars, and holds dyno days, and enters comtest such as teh ONE LAP of America. He also tests in magazines like Car an Driver, and is big into some of the "ricier" mags like Sport Compact Car. Actually I have e-mailed them three times about the turbo kit over the a few months, and never heard back. I finally called today after posting on an EVO forum. Apparently he is in India right now, and will be back at the beginning of next week. I agree that the company is based primarily on Shiv Pathek, one man, and a busy one at that!

My point was that there are companies that have yet to advertise who are currently underdevelopment of turbo kits for our cars. The one I chose didn't advertise, and gave me a very good price. For example, the differnece between bying and tuning a standalone ECU or using a piggy back was - 500 dolalrs. That was fully tuned and installed, and cost to purchase. I have known Vishnu as a great company, and it is like the current presidential election, you like one guy or the other.

In any case, I now know of 4 companies who are developoing turbo kits or will do custom installs. They do not want to advertise for differnet reasons, so I will not get into all of their personal business models. I can say that for the case of Vishnu tuning, they are developing a NA tuning package as well as a light pressure turbo application. Because they will only offer thier turbo kit as a marketable stage, they want to have everything worked out. I think that it speaks volumes that the company BOUTGHT a car to develop their platforms off of. That is a large investment. I think that this kind of confidence and dedication is even more miraculuous since they have not advertised their development at all. There are a few companies that will do custom work, and in some cases, parts, instillation and tuning will run WELL below 5,000 depending on options. That includes ECU, clutch injectors, fuel pumps, tuning, installation, everyting. I think it is importnat to also evaluate a companies reputation as well as their experience when deciding to do these things.

·
Registered
7,678 Posts
yes, they are big in the wrx and evo world....
they have a pretty good reputation
not the company i went with...i use AMS, theyre local to me and their work and fabricating is top notch.....

·
Registered
1,579 Posts
Mean TT said:
I assume that you are a COBB tuning man then?
I have parts from about 25 manufacturers on my car. So I'm nobody's man! ;)

I'm certainly glad to hear that they see potential in the Elise, and a big enough market to develop parts. I hope that other tuners will do the same. Competition is good.

·
Registered
9,150 Posts
If the car ever leaves SS class in the SCCA, I will be the first in line for a turbo. Thanks for the report!

·
Banned
6,941 Posts
Well the car *might* have a chance to be entered into SM2 (street mod 2) against other two seaters. Certain engine swaps are doable in that class, not just turbo kits.

Write to the SCCA to help increase the chances....presently all Loti are specifically banned. But this was intended to block things like 7s and 1966 Elans. Our cars are just a hair under the class weight limit. But a motor swap or ballast could deal with that.

I'd enjoy SM2 as I like to tinker.

·
Registered
9,150 Posts
Personally, I'd prefer AS right now. But that seems unlikely. I'd love to race the Boxsters!

SM2-what is in that class, and generally how do their times compare to SS? What kind of tinkering is allowed? I'm not much of a "tinkerer" now , but that will undoubtedly change over time as it has already. This discussion probably needs to head to the SOLO TIMED EVENTS area...

·
Registered
866 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Stan said:
Well the car *might* have a chance to be entered into SM2 (street mod 2) against other two seaters. Certain engine swaps are doable in that class, not just turbo kits.

Write to the SCCA to help increase the chances....presently all Loti are specifically banned. But this was intended to block things like 7s and 1966 Elans. Our cars are just a hair under the class weight limit. But a motor swap or ballast could deal with that.

I'd enjoy SM2 as I like to tinker.
What is that class wieght limit? I am sure if it is 2000 pounds, that another 25 pounds might be necessary for the kit, but I don't know that for sure.

·
Registered
167 Posts
And Shiv was very well-known in the RX-7 world prior to their work on WRX's/EVO's and Miata's.

From the reputation they've built over the past 8 or so years, I'd be more likely to buy from them than some of the other's I've seen mentioned.

Mean TT said:
Well I just got off the phone with another vendor who is developing a turbo kit for the Elise. Some of you in the Evo world might recognize the name, Shiv Pathek from http://www.vishnutuning.com/. They have done very well tuning WRX/STI(s) and EVO(s). They apparently have developed a light pressure turbo kit for our car as well. However, they will not do custom work, and are awaiting delivery of their own personal mule car to develop the kit on first. They hope to enter their car in the one lap of America next year. The person I skope to said that their turbo kits will be available in six months to 1 year for the general public, and wll be offered as packages. They will not do custom work, and until their own products have been fully tested and tuned, they will not touch our cars.

However, as the self-appointed turbo guru of this forum and having spoken to many different vendors, i would think that they would do high quality work. They have odne amazing work with their EVO and WRX programs. They have also done some Porsche turbos and Miatia turbo applications.

I just wanted to let everyone know that he travels across the country working and tuning cars, and when he releases his kit, he most likely will tune it personally if you can get him whe he visits a shop near you. This is good news for all of us, as the more companies that are interested in offering products, the better off we all are.

P.S. I am not going to use them for my car, I don't want to wait a year. I just like to keep everyone informed about the possibilities and release the fruits of my homework to all.:D :) :cool:

·
Banned
6,941 Posts
>>>Personally, I'd prefer AS right now. But that seems unlikely. I'd love to race the Boxsters! <<<

Oh it's not one or the other...a car can have various places to play.

I'd like to see the Elise able to run in a stock class, a street tire class, a street prepared, and finally a street mod class. Depending on the mods.

Many of the common mods some are planning to do will disqualify the car for any stock class. So the person who shows up in a car like that would have to run against WAY faster cars that show up on trailers and are dedicated race cars... unless there is a place for the car to go. If not the car will get blown away and the driver won't come back. I'm a big fan of the STS and STX class which have many popular cars in them runnning with many of the popular mods. Those two are street tire classes. I add some air to my M3's tires, make a few minor adjustments race and do well and then with minimal tear-down effort drive home. The tires last about 15,000 miles. Presently the E30 M3 can run in B-Stock, C Street Prepared, STX (street touring extreme), SM (Street mod), and I'm sure a prepared and mod class. And local non SCCA classes. And local street tire classes, paxed.

·
Registered
1,579 Posts
Mean TT said:
What is that class wieght limit?
I don't have my rule book handy, but I'm fairly sure that the minimum weight for SM2 is 1900 lbs.

Jer, SM2 allows much more than just tinkering. Drivetrain is completely open, the only restriction is that the engine block must be from the original manufacturer (would be any Toyota engine for an Elise), and meets displacement limits (no problem for anything you could fit in an Elise). Suspension is completely open, as long as it bolts to the original attachement points. Right now you have cars like Vettes and turbo Miatas doing well there. You see more unusual entries (like a RWD Focus with an engine from a Cobra) every once in a while.

My problem with considering SM2 is that IMHO the SM classes are vastly underdeveloped. If/when people really start taking advantage of the rules, they will get much faster. How many SM/SM2 cars have completely rebuilt suspensions? I haven't seen any.

I'll probably shoot for ASP longer term.

·
Registered
866 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
As much as I wanted to auto-x this coming weekend in San Antonio, I ned to go and visit one of my friends in Denver. A bunch of old college friends are getting togeather to throw a suprise part for him - put on by his girlfriend. (I think she might want to get married and is preemptivly throwing him a bachelor party).

As fo the suspension mods, the Elise doesn't need them, although sway bars and the like might be useful along with tires and such. I think that a little bump in hp and medium bump in torque combined with stickier tires with the correct camber settings would be very quick. Knowing that the car would compete with a modded GT2 or GT3 Porsche or a blown/lightened M3 would be competition to say the least.

I will keep letting everyone know what the status of my situation is. Right now I am considering the upgrade in 2-3 weks. I still need to get some things in writing since no amount of good reputation is enough for my 50K dollars car without a reasonable warrenty and a legally binding contract.

On a side note, I really want to keep the stock ECU and use a piggy back unit for the OBDII diagnostics and for emissions testing. However, for 500, I could have a fully tuned and installed standalone in the car. What does everyone think about the pros and cons of this. I want something that I purchase once, and enjoy. I am not looking to tune the car to its ragged edge. I have no problem leaveing a few hp on the table for reliability and insurance. What so you think about the possibility of a standalone vs. piggyback? (And no I an not uneducated about these things. I just like to hear other opinions)

·
Banned
6,941 Posts
>>>Drivetrain is completely open, the only restriction is that the engine block must be from the original manufacturer (would be any Toyota engine for an Elise), and meets displacement limits (no problem for anything you could fit in an Elise). <<<

Very interesting. So....you could not put a Lotus engine in the Elise. In other words does manufacturer mean the car or the motor that came in the car? What about the old Elan/Europa were they eligible...Ford block with Lotus head? Or (not that anyone is planning it) the Ford Taurus SHO (only Yamaha!) or Vette ZR1 (Mercury Marine manufactured the Lotus designed motor for Chevrolet).

On the Toyota front the iron block 4cyl turbo motor can be boosted to 300-400-500 HP through known paths. Hmmm.....wait a second....our cylinder heads say Yamaha on them (casting and design and manufacture) so are they a Toyota or not?

1 - 14 of 14 Posts