The Lotus Cars Community banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Forum Founder
29,081 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Yikes. Motorcycle accident

Posted at Corner Carvers-

This is reposted without permission from the LABiker mail list. Incredible accident scene photo. I'd bet wherever it's served from is gonna have problems cause this one is gonna get cross posted everywhere. Luckily, nobody died.

Here's the story from LABiker Brandon:

"This photo is from a group ride yesterday (Sunday). A bunch of friends
from Springfield, MO went for a group ride in northern Arkansas. Great
roads, great weather, great day for a ride. Unfortunately an unknown
'new kid' on a 600RR joined the ride, with a a horrible ego/skill ratio.
The guys were afraid to mention it to him, out of politeness I guess.

They should have. His riding ended up causing tens of thousands in
damage, probably hundreds of thousands in medical, and only by the grace
of God was no one killed. BARELY.

This is a shot taken at the scene of the accident, mere seconds after
the crash. 'Bo' (lower left corner, *UNDER* the truck), is the new CBR
600RR rider that overcooked the corner and proceeded to lowside and
wedge himself *under* the Chevy.

The older white Ford in the photo veered into the oncoming lane to go
around the wreck, decided against it, and started backing down the hill.
This is where Jason (Duc rider, Springfield Police Officer) met the
truck, 1/2 way around the corner. Jason jumped from the bike just
before impact, and ended up with his head/shoulder through the
windshield. Paul (following behind Jason) hit the old Ford as well,
though didn't sustain as much damage.

Luckily the other riders knew enough not to move ANYONE, so they left
Bo under the truck, and Jason on the hood. Bo might lose his right arm;
the doctors haven't decided yet. Jason was conscious the whole time,
but understood not to move. Good thing. He's got a fractured C7
vertabra (I think the same thing that happened to Christopeher Reeves).

So...next time you think it's rude or impolite to tell that 'over his
head' rider to cool down or screw off, think of this."

·
Forum Founder
29,081 Posts
Discussion Starter #2

Attachments

·
Registered
7,610 Posts
If you think that's bad, take a look at this one:

Taken from:
http://www.r1-forum.com/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=87346

http://www.deathracing.com/rider_down/
Napa High teen killed on Lincoln Ave.
Saturday, June 12, 2004

A Napa teen died Friday morning when his brand new motorcycle plowed into a car on Lincoln Avenue, impaling the driver's side of the car.

The 16-year-old victim was identified as Napa High School student Nicholas Gruenhagen.

The driver of the Lincoln Town Car that collided with the bike, Analee Chambless of Napa, suffered serious injuries and was taken to Queen of the Valley Hospital, Sgt. John Kostelac said. Chambless lives in Napa.

"At this time, her injuries do not appear to be life threatening," Kostelac said on Friday afternoon. He added that Chambless, 69, suffered multiple lacerations on her face, wrist and upper torso.

The crash happened on Lincoln Avenue just east of Marin Street.

The impact of the crash pressed the Honda 600 F4 I motorcycle into the driver's seat and back door of the silver sedan. The bike still had the paper license plates of a new purchase on it.

Gruenhagen was thrown onto the hood of the car, where paramedics worked feverishly, administering first aid. Family members reached later in the day declined comment.

Chambless had to be removed through the passenger side of the car. As the ambulance rushed her to the emergency room, her purse and one shoe were left on the roadway next to the Town Car.

As of Friday afternoon, investigators were still trying to piece together what lead up to the fatality.

"All we know so far is that the motorcycle was eastbound on Lincoln Avenue from California Boulevard, and the driver of the sedan was leaving a business on Lincoln Avenue," Kostelac said. "We're not sure where her car was when the accident happened."

Lincoln Avenue was closed for a period as officers waited for the major traffic collision investigation team to get on scene.

"The motorcycle is still embedded into the side of the car," Kostelac said. "The team needs to take measurements before it can be removed."

The crash caused a traffic jam, and cars were re-routed around the crash scene from Lincoln Avenue to the neighboring residential streets.

Addendum:
I believe the elderly lady driving the car also died from her injury at the hospital. From the skid marks, I think the lady exited the driveway before the motorcyclist could stop.

·
Registered
81 Posts
That is why in the ER world we call them "Donor Cycles". I have seen it many times. From young kids on their sport bikes, to Boomers on their Harleys. Inexperience, or a little liquid bravado or both at any age. Someone once said that if it wasn't for stupid, I would not have a job.

·
Registered
12,193 Posts
Re: Yikes. Motorcycle accident

Randy Chase said:
The older white Ford in the photo veered into the oncoming lane to go around the wreck... This is where Jason (Duc rider, Springfield Police Officer) met the truck
If you ask me, that driver is lucky not to be seeing jail time. Granted, Bo is responsible for his own fate, but this fool crossed the line (literally - it's a no pass zone) and almost killed a cop because of it. :no: Anyhow, he deserves 2/3 of the blame for this accident. If he hadn't been so self-centered and impatient, there would only have been one bike in that wreck.

·
Registered
6,802 Posts
So why are all the people standing around not even looking at the guy on the hood with his head in the window?

Inexperienced riders on these 600cc bikes just have no idea how much trouble you can get into on one.

And I can't imagine drinking alcohol before during riding, that seems to be more a problem with the cruiser bikes than sportbikes from my experience. Riding up in N. Ga. mountains, all the bar always have a pack of cruiser bikes parked in front.

I personally don't worry about me doing something stupid riding anymore as I dont about the 80 yo or 16 yo in a car that does something stupid to kill me.

Chris

·
Registered
5,160 Posts
Shouldn't they be wearing full leathers instead of jeans and a t-shirt? Just trying to learn. :)

·
Registered
6,802 Posts
Even in mid summer I wear full leathers in the mountains here and ga, always wear at least leather jacket and gloves, boots in town.

Course I always hear from non-riders why bother with leathers, they won't save you. But they do enable you to slide a good distance without eating up your skin.

Large area slide injuries/abrasions (aka road rash) are for more painful and prone to infection (not to mention sometimes needed skin grafting) then broken bones. Some of the Cruiser bike riders I've encountered in the ER (cruiser riders are very bad about wearing appropriate gear on a regular basis) are converted once they've gone down even at low speed and slid a few feet on pavement wearing a t-shirt.

Vantage - I notice detailers paradise scroll, isn't that your business??
Chris

·
Registered
495 Posts
Have to hate those autos that cross the yellow. I seem to encounter them regularly in the LA hills.

I think it's only a matter of time before we see more legislation RE cycle safety. It's probably a good idea to have a graduated license, e.g., newbies have to start with less powerful bikes. I'm sure it wouldn't be popular, but it would save some lives

·
Registered
3,664 Posts
zvezdah1 said:
I personally don't worry about me doing something stupid riding anymore as I dont about the 80 yo or 16 yo in a car that does something stupid to kill me.
Sadly enough, it's more likely to be a 20-40 year old housewife that kills you on the road :rolleyes:

·
shay2nak
25,068 Posts
I can't believe the bike was imbeded into the car in that position.

·
Registered
5,160 Posts
Hey Chris,
Detailer's Paradise? Nope, not mine, but I think they sponsor Roadfly.

·
Forum Founder
29,081 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
MikeAR303 said:
Sadly enough, it's more likely to be a 20-40 year old housewife that kills you on the road :rolleyes:
Do you have a credible source that shows those statistics?

·
Registered
81 Posts
Chris,

I trained in the Grady ER and I am sure that you know of "Freaknic". I saw a freaknicer in '94 who was drug by a truck for over a mile. 1/3 of his arm and leg was abraded off through muscle to exposed bone. Bad news for that young kid. Needed all kinds of reconstruction. The Grady ER got very busy during those weekends. Saw all kinds of stuff there.

·
Registered
6,802 Posts
Yep, know of freaknic well.

I've got a friend who drives up from here (100 miles south of atl) and works weekends in grady,

Grady is truly the sharp end of health care!

Randy, from my experience, the very young girls driving and the very old scare me almost as much as the soccer moms, though invariably the soccer moms are in SUVs. and they can do more damage!!
Chris

·
Forum Founder
29,081 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
zvezdah1 said:

Randy, from my experience, the very young girls driving and the very old scare me almost as much as the soccer moms, though invariably the soccer moms are in SUVs. and they can do more damage!!
Chris
There is that perception. But killing people tends to raise one's rates, and insurance companies work off data and statistics. And 20-40 year old moms do not pay as much as young males and old people..because they are statistically much less likely to get into an accident.

·
Forum Founder
29,081 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
I never argue with customers. :)

But seriously, your experiences or my experiences...or perceptions are not what we are talking about, but statistical data.

P.S. Do you really see a lot of people killed by 20-40 year old housewives on your drive to work?

·
Registered
495 Posts
Statistically, I'm sure that the young guys take the trophy for injury accidents.

But when you are on a bike, inattentive drivers in SUVs (including the 'soccer mom' types, or anyone on a cell-phone, eating in the car, etc) are a hazard. On a recent ride I had FIVE cars move over into my lane in a single afternoon.

Insurance fees for bikes are not very high, likely due to the fact that you have to be alive to collect, and the driver of a car in a cycle-car accident is very unlikely to be injured.

·
Registered
1,633 Posts
Here in AZ, we seem to have a "biphasic" road hazard distribution, in my experience. The multi-tasking moms (more power to them, just don't do it driving) with kids moving about the roving tanks unrestrained, cellphone to ear, head switching back and forth, front to rear is an all too common sight on the road, and it doesn't change when they get on the interstate. :huh:

Then, in the winter, our elderly ("snowbird") population swells, and the cruiser sedans show up (Caprice Classics, Buicks du jour). The head barely juts above the dashboard, and they appear incapable of noticing my RX-7. Imminent peril to bikers as they pull out onto the road unawares.

Like Cale, I see the results in the ER.

I'm all for periodic relicensing after a certain age (65? 70?), since faculties invariably decline as one gets older. AARP won't hear of it. Another special interest at work, Transio.

And zOOmz, I agree, YDFC t-shirted 16 y/o's on donor cycles are a hazard to be reckoned with as well.

Looking forward to my British 'active safety system'... :D

1 - 20 of 21 Posts