The Lotus Cars Community banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
2014 Evora S - Autumn Bronze
131 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi All,

I purchased headers and a downpipe from Jubu, and opted for their heat shield upgrade to help keep engine bay temps down.

I went to install the first header (rear one) and see that the rear hanger and rear sub frame paneling (?) are interfering.

Wood Automotive tire Tints and shades Art Font

Snake Automotive tire Reptile Scaled reptile Grey

Automotive tire Hood Automotive design Automotive lighting Motor vehicle

I’ve sent an email to Jubu to get their take, but also wanted to ask here. I’ve read a few others have had to do some minor grinding (of other items) to get various manufactures headers to fit.

Im not to concerned about having to cut the rear hanger, other than being a pain in the butt, but I’m trying to understand the implications of cutting the panel/sheet metal. Is it ok to cut this or will this affect either any chassis rigidity or crash structure integrity? I’d estimate I’d need to cut maybe 1/2 to 1 inch deep by 2-3 inches wide).

Assuming it’s not an issue to cut this, the material is aluminum right? Could this be done slowly with snips or would an angle grinder be needed? Is the hanger steel or aluminum as well?

Much appreciated for any help everyone!! This is still an interesting and fun learning process regardless of all the bloodly knuckles, curses, and setbacks hah.

·
Registered
28 Posts
first off, i think he meant coat it, which I agree with. Primer would be your best friend. As for cutting it, you can use an angle grinder with a steer cuttoff wheel or grinding wheel. I would recommend the grinding wheel if you do not have experience with angle grinders.

·
Registered
131 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
@John Z @Teksler Thanks for the replies, I appreciate it. Sounds like coating the exposed cut to protect the metal is a smart move. Is there a specific product/material you had in mind, or would any zinc based spray/coating work?

I don’t have experience with an angle grinder unfortunately, so I’ll research grinding wheels.

Sounds like I have a path forward on how to make the cut, and how to protect it afterwards. I guess the last part of the puzzle is figuring out if the cut is safe to make. Does anyone have any opinions on cutting a bit of that subframe panel? Im hoping it’s not that big of a deal since there’s already a “hole” (and multiple at that) in the area, but I have zero knowledge of chasis design so maybe it’s just wishful thinking on my part.

I’m guessing the cut would need to be something along the lines of what’s shown in red below:

Bicycle part Motor vehicle Automotive exterior Gas Rim

Thanks again!!

·
Administrator
12,113 Posts
@John Z @Teksler Thanks for the replies, I appreciate it. Sounds like coating the exposed cut to protect the metal is a smart move. Is there a specific product/material you had in mind, or would any zinc based spray/coating work?

I don’t have experience with an angle grinder unfortunately, so I’ll research grinding wheels.

Sounds like I have a path forward on how to make the cut, and how to protect it afterwards. I guess the last part of the puzzle is figuring out if the cut is safe to make. Does anyone have any opinions on cutting a bit of that subframe panel? Im hoping it’s not that big of a deal since there’s already a “hole” (and multiple at that) in the area, but I have zero knowledge of chasis design so maybe it’s just wishful thinking on my part.

I’m guessing the cut would need to be something along the lines of what’s shown in red below:

View attachment 1315466

Thanks again!!

·
Registered
1,154 Posts
Enlarging the existing hole in the subframe in that location will have minimal to no effect on strength or stiffness. Use a flap sanding disc on the angle grinder and radius all transitions. Sand or file the edge smooth so you do not create any stress risers. I have used cheap 4-1/2" Harbor Freight angle grinders for many years and they work just fine.

Automotive wheel system Font Circle Auto part Bicycle part

·
Registered
131 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
@Catsailr27 Thanks for the link. That’s along the lines of what I’ve been seeing.

@TedR I appreciate the response. That seems to be the census I’m starting to see. I’ll definitely radius the cuts and try to make it smooth with no right angles. I’ll research flap sanding disks, thanks for that suggestion and the others!

@Viperguy324 Did you have a specific product in mind? When i search various terms the items that seem to keep coming up are aerosol based sprays like what was linked above. I’m sure there are other ways, I’m just having a hard time discovering them.

Thanks again to everyone that’s commented, I really appreciate it.

·
Administrator
12,113 Posts
@Catsailr27 Thanks for the link. That’s along the lines of what I’ve been seeing.

@TedR I appreciate the response. That seems to be the census I’m starting to see. I’ll definitely radius the cuts and try to make it smooth with no right angles. I’ll research flap sanding disks, thanks for that suggestion and the others!

@Viperguy324 Did you have a specific product in mind? When i search various terms the items that seem to keep coming up are aerosol based sprays like what was linked above. I’m sure there are other ways, I’m just having a hard time discovering them.

Thanks again to everyone that’s commented, I really appreciate it.
I've used the cold galvanize spray for decades for refurbishing wear on anchor coating. Works well and matches fairly close.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts