The Lotus Cars Community banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
213 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Does anyone know who sells Yokohama Slicks?

Apparently, Bob Goodman in South Carolina has past.

Thank You
Anthony

·
Premium Member
4,668 Posts
@antflies ..... Anthony, Call Trackside....949-589-5394....tires sizes for V6--Front: 210/610x17; Rear: 250/650x18

Be aware, the ABS will not function properly due to different OD for slicks compared to Lotus spec'ed stock Pirelli R-comp tires ....forewarned is forearmed. ;)

Sorry for the delay in getting back to you.

·
Registered
213 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks Jack

Do you get lock up, or any adverse braking with the ABS not working correctly?

Anthony

·
Premium Member
4,668 Posts
Thanks Jack

Do you get lock up, or any adverse braking with the ABS not working correctly?

Anthony
The ABS will still work, it will just not work properly, i.e. it will be very intrusive.

The stock system has been programmed to work with the Lotus recommended R-comp tires of a given OD and with the stock variable traction control and DPM. Once you deviate from that tire OD and significantly increase grip, the stock programmed ABS will be compromised.

Given my change of tires from the R-comps (which came standard on the CupR and have different ODs than the Yokohama slicks), the standard ABS system could not handle the extra grip, intervened excessively; and, perhaps more importantly, the way the ABS intervened was frightening.....like your brakes were virtually ineffective. You would have to lift off and go back on quickly to reset the system. The only way to drive around this abs deficiency would be to brake easy at first and slowly increase brake pressure.... not the ideal braking technique for track use. Some might call this "ice mode", as many have experienced on the S2 variants; but, IMHO, it is much more scary....you'll see. ;)

·
Registered
213 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Yikes

This seems the ABS problem will put a huge damper on the fun factor. My S2 Exige with slicks did not have this problem.
You deal with it, or not run the different OD?

Anthony

·
Premium Member
1,076 Posts
Replace the ABS system with the Bosch Motorsports ABS and/or switch to split masters.
Later,
Eldon

·
Registered
5,225 Posts
I have a set that is a couple of years old, but they have been stored properly, and have only a couple of sessions on them. PM me if you want them, I'll sell them pretty cheap since I don't have wheels to fit them on anymore.

·
Registered
213 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Thanks for all replies. I the Yokos have almost the same OD as the stock tires on the 360 CUP. From initial research, it seems the Bosch system would be around 10K?
With a split master, would there be a bias control added to panel? What systems are available that you know of that works well with the S3?

Thanks
Anthony

·
Premium Member
1,076 Posts
Thanks for all replies. I the Yokos have almost the same OD as the stock tires on the 360 CUP. From initial research, it seems the Bosch system would be around 10K?
With a split master, would there be a bias control added to panel? What systems are available that you know of that works well with the S3?

Thanks
Anthony
Anthony,

You are correct, the Bosch ABS system is about 10K. The ABS sensors on the hubs are compatible with the Bosch system. The split masters have an optional remoter adjuster. Some are mounting them on the dash but this is not practical. The adjustment know should be within reach when fully belted in the car, so I would mount it near the shifter. You have three options. 1) OEM Brake booster and Bosch ABS, 2) Split Master and eliminate OEM ABS module, 3) Split Masters and Bosch ABS. The best combination is #3. If you do not like the idea of Split Masters, choose #1. If cost is a concern, choose #2.

Later,
Eldon

·
Registered
213 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Thanks Again

It looks like I will be leaning to get the Bosch unit. I most likely will test without anything first, and see what the OEM dishes out. If the overload on the OEM abs is too much at the track I use the car, I will get the unit. No point of enjoying the car when the brakes don't give confidence. My S2 Exige didn't exhibit those traits with slicks at Sebring. I used CL RC6 pads, 2 piece Sector Rotors, and A005 Soft slicks. They never faded, and decelerated the car incredibly well.

Anthony

1 - 12 of 12 Posts