The Lotus Cars Community banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
69 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I will have to drive my Elise from San Francisco to Minnesota in a couple weeks and it looks likely that a portion of the trip may be less than the recommended 15ºF for those tyres.

While I expect to have less grip in the cold, I am from Northern Canada, and I have previous experience with these tyres on ice. I think I can survive as long as there is not a great deal of snow on the freeways.

However, I remember that the Toyo tyres the Exige rides on comes with a warning saying those tyres will probably crack if they are too cold. Is that a problem with the Yokos as well? Are they likely to crack and disintegrate? Or is grip really the only concern?

Thanks,

- Thomas;

·
Registered
1,273 Posts
They do have a similar warning...I have done it before, well from Michigan back to Ohio and it can get a bit scary.

Can you do it yes. Will it mess up your tires, maybe.
If thats what you have be very careful out there...

·
Registered
69 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
They do have a similar warning...I have done it before, well from Michigan back to Ohio and it can get a bit scary.

Can you do it yes. Will it mess up your tires, maybe.
If thats what you have be very careful out there...
What was the temperature? Did it damage your tires?

- Thomas;

·
Registered
1,273 Posts
High teens to lower 20's.

I did this a few years back in the elise and I instantly got snow tires incase I got caught in a situation like that again. You know its going to be a sunny 35 all weekend and it turns out to be flurries and cold.

To be honest, I cant say for sure as I couldn't see anything visible and when I swapped them out they seemed to be ok on the street.

·
Registered
69 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I did this a few years back in the elise and I instantly got snow tires incase I got caught in a situation like that again.
Thanks for the advice -- I plan to get more "geographically appropriate" tires for Minnesota in the fall, but until then I'm riding Yokos. What snow tires did you get? Did you like them? I'm considering either a couple models in the Goodyear Eagle line or the Lotus Spec Pirelli Snowsport.

- Thomas;

·
Registered
1,273 Posts
At the time all I could get was the Lotus spec pirelli snowsport. they were ok.
On our audi we had the dunlop winter sport M3 & 3D and loved those but at that time they didn't make the front tire size the elise needed.

Good Luck, be safe!

·
www.theapexinn.com
11,689 Posts
since you'll be driving in a straight line, why not get a cheapo set just for the road trip..... and ship the 48's back ?? The 48's would be toast from the miles you'd be putting on them......might as well spend a little to save a lot.

·
Registered
215 Posts
The AO48s would be hockey pucks in ice and snow and the miles would wear them out anyway. If you want to keep them and your car get cheapie cold weather tires.

·
www.theapexinn.com
11,689 Posts
The AO48s would be hockey pucks in ice and snow and the miles would wear them out anyway. If you want to keep them and your car get cheapie cold weather tires.
deja Vu ( post 7 )

·
Registered
69 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
You guys might be on to something -- buy winter tires now and ship the Yokos to Minnesota to remount in the summer. Thanks!

1 - 11 of 11 Posts