723 Posts
Discussion Starter #5

·
Registered
6,981 Posts

·
Registered
83 Posts
There are these little round holes on the slick surface showing how much rubber is left.

My yoko slicks on the Motorsport Elise was only good for 5 maybe 6 heat cycles, then they were rocks. I can abuse the them pretty bad and I've never had a set of slicks that would even use up 1/2 of the rubber before they simply quit working.

·
Registered
723 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
There are these little round holes on the slick surface showing how much rubber is left.

My yoko slicks on the Motorsport Elise was only good for 5 maybe 6 heat cycles, then they were rocks. I can abuse the them pretty bad and I've never had a set of slicks that would even use up 1/2 of the rubber before they simply quit working.
That's odd...Maybe you are speaking of rubber compound. Some R compounds are softer than slick compounds. Anyway, we DE them until they cord. I am selling them because I have 3 sets just lying around.

·
Registered
5,094 Posts
That's odd...Maybe you are speaking of rubber compound. Some R compounds are softer than slick compounds. Anyway, we DE them until they cord. I am selling them because I have 3 sets just lying around.
I think there is some confusion here.
Slicks are always race compounds arent they(though i think I heard there are some hoosiers that are slicks but say they are not a race compound for AXing)?
ome compounds are softer than others, for example the goodyear 160 is softer than the 430, but they are not meant for 'street driving', slicks are for the track. they will all heat cycle.
a durometer will tell you how hard they are as compared to when they were new. heat cycles will harden tires. how tires are stored will also effect tire hardness.
anyone selling slicks without being able to give a durometer reading of current status vs. new is at best giving the buyer a crap shoot.

IMO, a used set of slicks is not worth much more than the cost to mount and balance them on the car(i hope you have a spare set of wheels with new tires mounted, as you might be very dissapointed in what you purchased when you try them at the track), unless you have a durometer reading to show the current status of the tire.
I know there is not supposed to be discussion in for sale threads, but that seems to have gone out the window on this one.
I know that you can run them until they are corded, but your lap times wont even be close on old tires(12 cycles is old IMO) vs. new ones.

·
Registered
83 Posts
Sorry, didn't mean to create any confusion, was responding to "how much tread left", since there are the little holes on the tires that show how much rubber is left...and commented how they fall off after competitive heat cycle life. I think Lotus uses one of the hardest slick compounds yoko has to offer since the car is very light...and my experienced is that they didn't wear all that much at all before they run out of heat cycle life expectancy (to be competitive) which was about 5-6 cycles. The difference was easily 2+ seconds a lap out here in a few California tracks.

·
Registered
723 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
anyone selling slicks without being able to give a durometer reading of current status vs. new is at best giving the buyer a crap shoot.

IMO, a used set of slicks is not worth much more than the cost to mount and balance them on the car(i hope you have a spare set of wheels with new tires mounted, as you might be very dissapointed in what you purchased when you try them at the track), unless you have a durometer reading to show the current status of the tire.

That is why they are listed as used. :clap:
Just as Bimmerworld, for example, sells used race tires so do we.

·
Registered
723 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
I think Lotus uses one of the hardest slick compounds yoko has to offer since the car is very light...and my experienced is that they didn't wear all that much at all before they run out of heat cycle life expectancy (to be competitive) which was about 5-6 cycles. The difference was easily 2+ seconds a lap out here in a few California tracks.
Once again...That is why they are listed as used. :clap:
Just as Bimmerworld, for example, sells used race tires so do we.

And that is probably not the reason Lotus sells the 05 compound. ;)

·
Registered
1,103 Posts
Wouldn't you use a softer compound on a lighter car?

1 - 16 of 16 Posts