The Lotus Cars Community banner

1 - 20 of 57 Posts

·
Registered
7,185 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
We've had our Evora S for over a year. Awesome experience.

I'd driven an NA car some time back but today had opportunity to put maybe 80 miles on one. All sorts of real life stuff. Street, restaurant, confusing intersections, miss turn and turn around in parking lot. Interstate. Back roads. The whole gamut.

What a blast. The power difference was not really all that noticeable. Not in real life driving. I'm sure powering up a steep mountain road or on a track it would be. But this car is a joy to drive no matter what!

The one I drove is a MY10 Chrome orange with Gulf blue livery applied. Quite a sharp ride. I do prefer our Heritage with Indy green and Lotus yellow, but either is spectacular.

So if you are on the fence and think you have to have an S or none at all, I recommend you reconsider.

·
Registered
7,185 Posts
Discussion Starter #3

·
Registered
545 Posts
Very true, no difference on a backcountry road, have attended a dealership event with all kind of Evoras, alls the same fun and speed.

More noticeable are the tires, Corsas give you a sharper turning. Again, real life speed (7/10ths driving) it is no difference.

However, on track and the unrestricted Autobahn, the S is worth the money.

·
Registered
87 Posts
If I couldn't have an S, then I would definitely get a N/A without a doubt & do what rammtin did to his car. But the more power on the S isn't the only reason I chose the supercharged version....The rear diffuser on the "S" is amazing and I feel that the NA's back end isn't as nice. The aftermarket diffusers just don't look right and for aesthetics alone, I chose the S. There's actually a newer diffuser that Difflow makes that is much better looking but still a little "off" in my opinion but maybe I need to see it in real life.

·
Registered
1,114 Posts
As the owner of a new S I'd have to agree with XHILER8.

I originally decided to buy an Evora after driving a '10 NA that I was lucky enough to borrow from Autosport Designs for a week. Used it for everyday driving the entire week. Of course I did put it through its paces. I convinced myself that the car could be a DD and thought the powere to be more than adequate. It is handling afterall that we buy Lotus.

For those who look at the sticker price of fully loaded S's and think they could never afford one just go for a used NA with low miles and save $30k.

Why did I go with and S? Several reason. I bought it for myself for my 50th birthday/mid-life crisis and loaded it up. I like the look of the engine bay better with the supercharger. THe extra power is nice. It has an S next to the word Evora on the back.

·
Registered
412 Posts
Why did I go with and S? Several reason. I bought it for myself for my 50th birthday/mid-life crisis and loaded it up.
Best reasons yet. :up:

·
Registered
7,185 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
OK so I picked up our S this morning, met the dealer (Max with Lotus of Greenville) half way.

Returned home climbing over 1000 vertical feet on some fairly twisty Interstate. The extra power does make the car feel a good bit more solid. And the stock diffuser is a very good looking piece of kit.

Those big wheels, even though I did not really care for them at first, do make an exciting statement.

So either way, it's awesome to be behind the wheel of a Lotus!

Sorry phone pics. Beautiful day!

2012.11.10 009w.jpg

2012.11.10 010cw.jpg

·
Premium Member
2,247 Posts
We've had our Evora S for over a year. Awesome experience.

I'd driven an NA car some time back but today had opportunity to put maybe 80 miles on one. All sorts of real life stuff. Street, restaurant, confusing intersections, miss turn and turn around in parking lot. Interstate. Back roads. The whole gamut.

What a blast. The power difference was not really all that noticeable. Not in real life driving. I'm sure powering up a steep mountain road or on a track it would be. But this car is a joy to drive no matter what!

The one I drove is a MY10 Chrome orange with Gulf blue livery applied. Quite a sharp ride. I do prefer our Heritage with Indy green and Lotus yellow, but either is spectacular.

So if you are on the fence and think you have to have an S or none at all, I recommend you reconsider.
Nooooooooow you tell me. :huh:

I don't think I'll regret my decision though. Great pix. Thanks.

·
Illegal Alien
5,138 Posts
Saw the Gulf Evora at LOG nice but too bad livery does not match what Lotus has raced under. Did you notice the CF engine cover? It really is light weight, not just bling.

·
Registered
7,610 Posts
Thanks for confirming. I test drove an n/a and Evora S before I bought my n/a version. I didn't feel as much of a difference as I though there would be - especially down low. I though it was just the test drive and test route. Cost not an issue, I'd still prefer an S.

·
Premium Member
6,933 Posts
All our mods enhance the top end where the stock S showed its potential. We have reduced that difference quite a bit. I believe its down to ~30HP for many of us now. And we don't have to worry about heat soak at track events either.

·
Registered
3,637 Posts
If I couldn't have an S, then I would definitely get a N/A without a doubt & do what rammtin did to his car. But the more power on the S isn't the only reason I chose the supercharged version....The rear diffuser on the "S" is amazing and I feel that the NA's back end isn't as nice. The aftermarket diffusers just don't look right and for aesthetics alone, I chose the S. There's actually a newer diffuser that Difflow makes that is much better looking but still a little "off" in my opinion but maybe I need to see it in real life.
With all do respect, our diffuser might look "off" because it bolts on to a non-supercharged version with ease (direct replacement). If we wanted it to be identical to the "S" diffuser, it would take a lot longer and a lot more money to replace the back lower portion of the car. :sheep: Our 5 element diffuser looks great :) And here's the 7 element diffuser, for a different touch.

·
Registered
396 Posts
All our mods enhance the top end where the stock S showed its potential. We are reduced that difference quite a bit. I believe its down to ~30HP for many of us now. And we don't have to worry about heat soak at track events either.
Add (or subtract as it were) the inherent weight difference and the lightening mods some of us have done (exhaust, lithium battery) and that power/weight ratio gap is further closed.

To be sure, if money were no factor, I'd go S all the way - not trying to pretend otherwise.

Sent from my iPhone using Autoguide.com App

·
Premium Member
6,933 Posts
I have made an 8 yr track record out of abusing all but a handful with SC Eliges out there with my NA Elise. To me its the same thing. I'll give you the extra HP as a handicap (like in golf). I'm down to ~3022 lbs and battery comes next year which should put me under 3000lbs. Closer to 2975 with stock wheels v forged for track. BTW what is stock weight of an "S"? 3161lbs. At 10HP per 100 lbs, if you say we're 186lbs lighter that means 18.6HP.
So if I'm putting down 300hp (flywheel of course) and "S" is 345 Hp, take off the 18.6 HP that weight loss effectively adds and you get ~326. S stock "S" v our NA's with nominal work narrow the HP gap to ~26hp. 15K for 26 HP isn't very good economics to me. After a tune and even sayings I spent 3K on mods, the differential is ~16HP for ~12K more HUMMMMM!
The clincher is that "S"'s are so rare, modding one will surely hurt its resale a lot more!
They're all beautiful, just saying I could have had an "S" and passed for the exact reasons mentioned here. I looked at both of them for ~16months on the lot so I chewed on more than a few pencils!

BTW love the green but the orange isn't right on an Evora. That's Gulf livery and I don't know of any connection Lotus had with Gulf. Maybe its that overly fat white stripe. The yellow stripe is gorgeous!! Stock for stock, an "S" is the better car but....Homey don't do stock!

·
Registered
87 Posts
With all do respect, our diffuser might look "off" because it bolts on to a non-supercharged version with ease (direct replacement). If we wanted it to be identical to the "S" diffuser, it would take a lot longer and a lot more money to replace the back lower portion of the car. :sheep: Our 5 element diffuser looks great :) And here's the 7 element diffuser, for a different touch.
Not knocking at the DiffFlow Diffuser at all, I think it's an excellent product and the fact that it is a direct replacement is extremely convenient. I do understand that there are limitations due to the fact it's a direct bolt-on so it isn't going to give the "stock" look of a different vehicle like the S. Just curious, if you did want to replicate the "S" diffuser how much would that cost?

·
Registered
383 Posts
I have made an 8 yr track record out of abusing all but a handful with SC Eliges out there with my NA Elise. To me its the same thing.
Acutally, the Elise/Exige SC is vastly different than the NA models. It's not just about max output, it's where along the rev band the power comes on. The SC changes the driving dynamic altogether for the street. You get a lot more torque throughout the rev band.

Can't comment on the Evora, but for the Elise/Exige, it makes a ton of difference.

1 - 20 of 57 Posts