The Lotus Cars Community banner

1 - 20 of 101 Posts

·
Registered
140 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
You have got to be @#$# Kidding me! UPDATED

So after work today, I get home a little early to do a little yard work (thought here is that I could go for a nice drive before bed). Open the garage. . .disarm the alarm. . . open the door. . . turn the key. . . hit the start button. . . .AND NO FIRE! WTF!

The car has power (Lights, Accessory, ect.). The start button is doing its job, but just no fire. The engine is completely non responsive. Talk about ass out. . . . . good thing I wasn't miles away from home!

Naturally, being 6:30PM EST, dealer service is closed. So I call Lotus Customer Service. . . . . gone for the day and the voicemail box is full. WTF!

Tomorrow will be very interesting. With only 300 miles and 14 days under my belt, needless to say I do not expect problems like this to occur. I am about 65 miles away from my dealer (Maplecrest), but only about 15 away from another (Princeton). It will be interesting to see how this resolved. . . .quickly.

Any thoughts from any owners (I confident its not an alarm issue)?

·
Registered
140 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
starter motor is turning over

·
Registered
1,061 Posts
Horrible. I wish I could be of more help! Must be related to the problems you were having earlier with the low idling and check engine light? Must be some kind of fuel management problem.

I am sure it will be a quick fix, but there is absolutley no excuse for this - even for an all new car with new engine. Especially after 300 miles! Please keep us updated on how this turns out. Good luck.

·
Registered
1,941 Posts
Keep your cool! Remain optimistic! I know this type of thing is frustrating as hell, but I have always found that the first few weeks of owning cars are the worst: annoying bugs and problems immediately reveal themselves, but once they emerge and are fixed, the car "settles" and behaves as it's meant to behave. I know this is a rather vague, holistic observation, but it's been my experience.

·
Registered
2,195 Posts
Bummer KO.

How does the 'immobilizer' part of the alarm system work? Does it block fuel/spark or stop the starter motor? It could be working against you -- I had an aftermarket one do this once.

Don't run the battery down to zero, though.. they never seem to be the same after you fully kill them.

·
Registered
140 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I only tried to turn it over about 5 times. That's enough for me. As for the alarm, it is definately "disarmed" from my perspective. If its immobilized, you don't get power to anyting if you try to start it. Im getting Accessory power, but its as if the engine is missing (as in gone). . . . because there is not connection to the starter at all.

Overall, I'm pretty bummed. But I know that you attract more bees to honey than you can with vinegar. So I'm going to be cool, talk to the dealer and LCUSA tomorrow. . . .and figure out how the hell to get things back running again.

·
Registered
1,080 Posts
Also very sorry to hear that, KO... :(

It looks like the classic "Lotus Experience" may still be alive. Please let us know what the dealer finds out.

I wonder if the probelm lies in the Lotus- tweaked ECU. Didn't the British guy with the 111R have a similar problem a little while back?

·
Registered
109 Posts
Welcome to the LOTUS OWNERSHIP world... I've been a member for many years... and have many stories to tell... The Lotus is more of a hobby/track car and is not meant for reliability. This helps the car stay rare and well priced. I don't mind that AT ALL....

Don't worry too much. You're very blessed to have repair/dealerships near by. I live 3 hours away from a repair shop. That is why I own an NSX for now... I hope that when #75 comes in around 2006, they will have worked out all of the bugs...

·
Registered
493 Posts
I was thinking about starting a poll "guess the first lemon" but now that soneone has a serious problem, it's not so humerous.

Hopefully you get a quick fix. Sorry to hear that.

Just remember, you got the car first and early. That's worth a few bugs in my book!

·
Registered
649 Posts
Very sorry to hear about your issues KO. Damn, what a downer. You have the right attitude though regarding trying to be as polite as possible when talking to the dealership. I'm sure they'll be plenty sympathetic to your situation and will get you back on the road quickly, hopefully with these engine troubles behind you.

·
Registered
6,802 Posts
Don't recall, does the fuel pump have a kill switch (inertia? with a reset button,) I just don't remember. Stupid question but it does have gas in the tank? When you turned the key did you get the fuel pump spooling up buzz?

Chris

·
Registered
140 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
zvezdah1 said:
Don't recall, does the fuel pump have a kill switch (inertia? with a reset button,) I just don't remember. Stupid question but it does have gas in the tank? When you turned the key did you get the fuel pump spooling up buzz?

Chris
I don't know anything about a fuel pump kill switch. Car is full of 3/4 a tank of gass. Yes, there was a the normal buzz when I turned the key. What is really puzzling is that up until pushing the start button, everything is normal. Perplexed.

·
Registered
35 Posts
Guys, I think you're missing his point about the engine and starter are "not connected." It sounds to me as if he's saying he hears the starter motor whir, but that it isn't engaged on the flywheel (and thus the engine doesn't turn!).

That's a mechanical problem with the starter and flywheel, not a fuel delivery problem (if his hearing is correct).

--Donnie

·
Registered
6,802 Posts
Tech
It's a longshot, but look on page 135 of your manual. Their is an inertia switch to kill the pump (unlikely since you say you hear the pump) at any rate It's on the left hand bottom of the engine bay on the inboard face of the rear subframe, accessible between the coolant header tank and windscreen washer reservoir. Reset by pressing the rubber diaphragm button. Pic is on 135, again, seems a longshot but might be worth a try.
Chris

·
insert clever title here
7,702 Posts
Tech_KO said:
So I call Lotus Customer Service. . . . . gone for the day and the voicemail box is full. WTF!
Full?! Already? There's what, maybe 50 Elises delivered? How will they cope when there are more?!

You may have already tried this, but..try rearming the alarm, then disarming it again. It sure sounds like an ECU/alarm issue from what you describe.

I wonder if one of the most popular modifications people will make to their Elises will be to replace the Lotus ECU with a Toyota one? ;)

·
Registered
1,766 Posts
I had an enertial kill switch get me during an autocross in June, it's the first thing I checked and when I pressed the reset it clicked! That was it, the engine kicked right over. Check it.
And welcome to the world of Lotus, part of the fun of owning one is figuring out the goofy problems.

·
Registered
2,308 Posts
If all else fails, disconnect the negative side of your battery for a minute. I know this is a long shot but it might just reset things.

·
Registered
9,150 Posts
Man, sorry to hear about the issue. I'm sure they'll get it fixed right away and you'll be smiling in no time.

I have a Jeep Grand Cherokee that the entire computer system went dead on at 500 miles, stranding me, my wife and our three young children on a Sunday night, 4th of July mind you (1999), in a f**king cornfield outside of Greeley, Colorado. Ugh. Thank god my Dad was only 120 miles away, and he rescued us.

But the car was fixed, and it's been a gem since the warranty wore off some 50,000 miles ago.

Hang in there.

1 - 20 of 101 Posts