The Lotus Cars Community banner

1 - 20 of 43 Posts

·
Registered
07 Exige S
1,572 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
It's true. :shrug:

She likes the idea of it, but absolutly hates riding in it with me. I know I become often less than civilized when driving... I try to say it's safer, slower than the Yamaha R1 I sold. She just freaks out something serious everytime I get on it even a little.

Is it the noise, the vibration, the lightness that is unexpected in a car ? Or is it perhaps because I just go a little douch ey when another exotic wants to play ?

This evenings vignette:
An onramp to interstate. A GTR jumped in front of me just prior to onramp. I had easy passing access and murdered him in the corner before hitting any traffic. It was over before it even really began ! He just trailed me on the interstate for a couple miles uncertain what I could unleash again on the straight... Actually in retrospect the douchebaggery co-efficienct was rather low ! Would you have rubbed a GTR's face in a corner if offered the opportunity ?

Does anyone elses wife/girlfriend get bent when in the Lotus ? :confused:

·
give me my second cam!
451 Posts
+1. With the all wheel drive and about triple the hp over our cars and a curb weight of mid 3k lbs I have to think your being over optimistic. He or she would have spanked you silly in a corner or a straight if they really wanted to.:D Sorry dont want to pee on your parade!

·
Registered
1,301 Posts
I'm sure the couple clapped out ricers that have "raced" me have the same story to tell as well.

"Oh yeah, I totally smoked him".

Only smoking was the burning oil coming out the tailpipe 007 style. -eek-

·
Registered
2,969 Posts
Ive got bad news for you. The GTR was not trying.
First thing I did was check his sig to see what cool upgrades he'd done :)

I don't blame no one, unless your familiar with the Lotus it's deceptive as to how fast it might be (aka can you beat it)

·
Registered
2,709 Posts
The first time I pointed out an Elise to my wife, her immediate response was "that thing's ugly". Years later when I actually brought one home, she said "Oh, I guess they are kind of nice looking", but I think she only said it to be nice. In two years, she's been in it for maybe 20 minutes total.

·
shay2nak
25,068 Posts
simple solution. your car, you drive it....by yourself. That way you're happy, she's happy, done deal.

·
Registered
49 Posts
In one year of ownership, my wife has been in my Exige exactly one time, on an 8 mile trip to the store. To say she hated it would be an understatement. It was too hard to get in and out of, too uncomfortable, too low, too loud, too small, and definitely attracted too much attention. She did say after taking a quick corner "now I know why you love this car". She is great in that she never gives me grief about my sports car addiction.

·
Banned
3,229 Posts
It’s a driver’s car…if you’re not a driver you won’t like the feedback that everybody in the car feels. You didn’t realize this when you got the car?

At the track days that I go to, I regularly pass a Ferrari F430 and an 8-cylinder R8 (there is a 10-cylinder R8 there that I can’t pass though)…do I think I could turn better lap times in the F430 than I could in my Cup 260 – I would like to think so. But on those track days, I passed those car/driver combinations…and it is just too cool to pass an F430 in a Lotus Exige! Weather the F430 had mechanical/setup problems or the driver had skill deficit, I don’t know. The fact still stands that I regularly/consistently passed an F430.

·
Registered
106 Posts
If someone gets in to a Lotus for the first time be gentle with them they may warm to the car a little more, for some its shock at how low small and noisy they are, I had forgotten this when I took an uncle out in my Caterham and forgot to say we were going to overtake as we were on a nice country road I over took two cars when he wouldn't have considered overtaking one, the earsplitting noise of the roller barrels opening, and the blat from the exhaust, the acceleration etc etc I did notice he was stretching out his arms in front of him. when I slowed I looked at him and realised the shear terror I had just put him through, he looked rather pale. As we continued the drive if the engine note even started to harden he put his hands out in front of him, after that he would not get in my other car!

My Wife told me off for not giving him a gentle ride.

My Wife is cool about the cars will pack for say a two or three week tour to Europe with minimal clothes, and understands we could get wet when it rains. I had a Europa S which she liked and an Evora that she loves so I guess I am lucky.

So I think as I started by saying go gentle and your passenger key just warm to the car

·
Registered
8,534 Posts
It's true. :shrug:

She likes the idea of it, but absolutly hates riding in it with me. I know I become often less than civilized when driving... I try to say it's safer, slower than the Yamaha R1 I sold. She just freaks out something serious everytime I get on it even a little.

Is it the noise, the vibration, the lightness that is unexpected in a car ? Or is it perhaps because I just go a douch ey when another exotic wants to play ?

This evenings vignette:
An onramp to interstate. A GTR jumped in front of me just prior to onramp. I had easy passing access and murdered him in the corner before hitting any traffic. It was over before it even really began ! He just trailed me on the interstate for a couple miles uncertain what I could unleash again on the straight... Actually in retrospect the douchebaggery co-efficienct was rather low ! Would you have rubbed a GTR's face in a corner if offered the opportunity ?

Does anyone elses wife/girlfriend get bent when in the Lotus ? :confused:

A few notes:

- My wife loves the 'freedom' of it. Stay at home mom with 3 kids and loves the top off freedom when we have a sitter and just drive/lunch/etc. She did a spirited drive with me once and hated it. Scared to death. I lie about those now!

- Re: the GTR. Yep, it all depends on the driver. GTRs are so rare on the street that I can't make any 'douche' conclusions. I will say that if a car is 'murdered out', 9/10 times the driver will be a deutsche bank. The guys in Infiniti G35s are the worst offenders?

- 'Murdered in the corner' - really? I'd bet the guy wasn't trying. My instructor at a track day on Monday just traded his Elise in for a GTR. I road passenger in his. As much as I hate the looks of the car, I can summarily say that the GTR will 'destroy' our cars in straights/turns/anywhere. There's no denying the performance of that car.

·
Registered
196 Posts
Most people (even GTR owners) have never had the opportunity to push their cars any where close to their limits. When confronted with someone who can drive their car and knows how to push the limits, they wisely back off. If cornering or high speeds people will usually back off when they think the limits are being pushed.

We know that that a Lotus is stable as a rock at 120mph but most people have rarely/never seen what 120mph feels like and therefore will usually back off.

Still to this day I am more comfortable on my Yamaha at high speeds than I am in the Lotus due to I have been riding the Yamaha since 05 and only driving the Lotus since last year. Running either ride, I drive according to the comfort level of my passenger (if I have one) because I know my comfort level is MUCH faster than most.

I would not say that your running other exotics is being a douche (I love doing it all the time), BUT, if you know something scares or makes you passenger uncomfortable and you still do it, yea that's kind of douchey (that douche factor multiplies if it's your GF or wife).

·
Premium Member
2,637 Posts
I considered a GTR when I purchased the Elise. The thing which pushed me towards the Elise was the mandatory $1000 service required every time you rotate the selector to "race" (on the GTR). If you didn't get the service, your warranty was invalidated.
My GF loves the Elise, and gets mad if we go out in an SUV instead.

·
Registered
420 Posts
simple solution. your car, you drive it....by yourself. That way you're happy, she's happy, done deal.
Exactly. My wife loves my car but doesn't feel safe in it, so she almost never rides in it, and never if it's going on a highway. She's cool with it, I'm cool with it.

·
Premium Member
690 Posts

·
Registered
07 Exige S
1,572 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Yeah usually I take it easy with her in the car, but I was just cruising slowly and he jumped in front of me like he had authority or something and I saw my hole and took it.

I am certain he could have spanked me if he was prepared,but he was not. Then he must havefelt uncertain with what he was dealing with I guess ? dunno ? He certainly did not drive it through the curve like he had a pair...

I have had this car almost 2 years so it is not a new phenomena. She just is uncomfortable in it. Too small, too raw, and yes too much attention I suppose.

The old joke : What's the difference between a porcupine and a BMW ? The pricks are on the outside of the porcupine !

I just need more discipline when she is in the car ( hardly ever to start with )

oh well ! Not like I bought it for her. She has a nice G35 Coupe she drives 60mph... She is from Indonesia and only started driving when 24 so I have to factor that in.... Thing is she loved blasting on the R1 up to insane speeds. Her safety is one of the reasons why I sold the bike and got the Lotus. Why would she love the bike, but hate the car ? Maybe cause it is more familiar sensation given they predominatlely drive mopeds in Indonesia ?

·
Registered
9,786 Posts
Ah, the legend that is Godzilla...

I've never driven one, but I've been on track with quite a few of them... modified for 600+ HP, suspension mods, R888s, etc.

Are they faster on the track than a stock Exige S? Yup. Are they faster than a stock 2-Eleven? Nope, not in my experience.

·
Premium Member
2,637 Posts
I used the "stepping off the curb is not frightning, once you have jumped off a cliff" method with my GF to break her in. I got her a ride in Fred Zust's car, now anything else seems safe and slow to her. The first ten seconds of her ride (in Zust's XP Elise) I really thought she was going to climb out the window. When the run was complete, there was a sparkle and hunger in her eyes (for going fast) which has not extinguished.

1 - 20 of 43 Posts