The Lotus Cars Community banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Integrator
2,930 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
1986-88 Bosch CIS car owners:

What is your boost limitation? How much max boost you've ever run?

I'm just wondering if all Federal cars were restricted to 7.5 psig.

·
Super Moderator
4,177 Posts
I've seen your thread on the aluminum spacer stamped 7.5 PSI. My 88 has that spacer, I upgraded to a VDO vacuum/boost mechanical gauge. The max does vary at times ranging from 7.5-8.5 PSI. Just yeserday it showed a solid 8 PSI.

With the original electronic boost-only gauge, I got this 0.60 bar or 8.7 PSI:

·
Registered
175 Posts
Federal cars all have this spacer and the boost is pretty much set as indicated.

However, air density and temperature can affect indicted boost levels. Thus altitude can also effect this to a degree. I run a bit higher on a nice Alabama winter day than I do on a crappy summer day... not sure if you might be seeing this sort of trend or not?

More can be run... but it is at the expense of maintenance issues.

·
Registered
276 Posts
I don't know a lot about it, but I had heard that Lotus restricted the pre-Renault transaxle turbo's to .6bar in order to try to preserve the Citroen transaxle....not for any emissions (or other) reasons. I can't recall exactly where I heard that, but given the limitations of the Citroen transaxle that makes some sense to me.

On my '88 I see a maximum of .6bar.

·
Registered
913 Posts
Once I took my boy for a drive in the Esprit, and the car felt so fast it was incredible. I live sorta towards the country and there is alot of twisty roads, we were hauling @ss, I constantly monitor the temp, and oil pressure, but since this was the first turbo car I ever owned with a boost gauge, I never kept an eye on the boost gauge. Well after about 10 miles of thinking I must have gotten super unleaded gas or something because the car ran so well, I noticed the boost gauge going almost to the other side full, no idea what pressure it was, but I was really getting on it before I noticed it. Of course the problem was the waste gate diaphragm I have since replaced it. The car felt like really unrestricted or ungoverned with no wastegate to slow it down LOL. I found also I could drive the car with it ripped by watching the boost gauge and letting off when I needed to til I got a new diaphragm.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts