The Lotus Cars Community banner

1 - 20 of 39 Posts

·
Registered
2,524 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm looking for advice on adding a few simple details to my car. It's an Exige but I'm posting here in the general forum because the changes could apply to the Elise as well. I need some input because I have a tough time visualizing what a mod will look like, much less imagining the idea in the first place. I really dig looking at the pics people post of their custom tweaks, and sometimes I'm surprised at what a difference a small detail can make. Mostly I'm worried about overdoing it and making the car too flashy.

Here's my 2006 Exige in tasteful Arctic Silver:
PICT0746.jpg

Although it's a 2006, the side scoops and splitter were repainted body color while the wing stays all black. I like it so that will stay as is. The car will see a bit of track time so I picked up a set of harnesses, which are blue. That gave me the idea to add some other blue accents. The only things I've decided on so far are custom blue/silver front badge and wheel centers. See them at:
SweetDaddyD done did it again.

Here's some other ideas I am considering:
- Blue harness bar
- Blue engine start button
- Mag Blue interior paint on the usual plastic parts (console, a/c bezel)
- Mag Blue valve covers
- Blue tow ring
- The calipers are currently red which I think might look wrong with the blue details, so they will need to go back to black (or maybe Blue? Too weird?)
- wheel pinstripes (maybe silver)

The car will be on the street most of the time, so I don't want to go overboard. Stripes are not my thing, and not in my budget anyway. Any insights will be appreciated. What say you?

·
Registered
1,679 Posts
I think a blue scheme goes well with silver (and the black wheels). I don't think you should pinstripe the wheels, but that is just my opinion. I think pinstriping the wheels would look too bling, less performance-oriented. I agree that if you go with a blue theme you would want to change the red calipers. I think blue calipers would be fine - Endless has their signature blue that looks good with a variety of wheel colors. Instead of upgrading the calipers which may not make a performance/handling difference anyway just save your money and paint 'em. Good luck on your Lotus' face lift.

·
Registered
344 Posts
I say Blue Calipers and a Blue angled stripe on each side (club racer style).

·
Registered
4,713 Posts
Tasty

·
Banned
7,592 Posts
Matte black stripes, black wheel centers, (edit:- doh forgot I made the blue ones for you. How could I forget that project, lol) wrap the back of the doors like I did on LOA's demo car, F1 years gas door decal,windshield banner....

·
www.theapexinn.com
11,687 Posts
OR:...............you could just paint it Chrome Orange, then you wouldn't have to do anything else !!!! :sheep:rotfl

·
Registered
294 Posts
Id say keep the calipers black, more tasteful in my opinion. Id keep most of the blue on the inside. Paint the gas cap black to match the wheels.

·
Registered
6,981 Posts
Buy some Volks CE28n wheels, strip them, have them anodized and dyed red. Then in about a year they'll fade and all your friends will make fun of you for having blotchy pink wheels. It's awesome.

xtn

·
Registered
912 Posts
Black or gunmetal brake calliper.
Blue harness bar
Angled blue side stripe decals
Black door inserts with angled blue stripe from trim shop
Black leather shift console with blue or black perf boot.
AC shroud paint blue or black leather?

Or use black alcantra for a more racy look.

·
Registered
826 Posts
IMOHO.

Your car is almost entirely silver, with a splash of black, and only a HINT of blue.

So I'd do the mods accordingly, and that will look the best. The look is so "classy" I'd keep it REAL simple and clean, so I'd keep the blue parts to a minimum.

You've got the badges, spot on.
I'd do the engine bits people normally paint...that would look nice through the screens.

No wheel stripes....

Put the calipers back to black....perhaps the raised lettering in your blue.

On the interior...*I* would do the blue stripes on the center door trim...keep the rest black.

AND if i had HGUE BALLS...I think 2 little blue stripes on the front fender would look nice alla' Vette Grand Sport!!!!

http://images.corvettefever.com/featuredvehicles/corp_0512_1_z+1996_chevrolet_corvette_grand_sport+overhead_view.jpg

ALSO, a bit on the balsy side...I've seen a few instrument clusters PAINTED body color. I saw an Arctic White Exige with this done.....IMOHO....it looked PRETTY awesome. It gave the interior a REAL showcar vibe....if on the 1 - 10 scale 1 is why bother and 10 is WAY to much.....man it FELT like a 9...but it looked so damn nice..>I want.. :)

·
Banned
7,592 Posts
AND if i had HGUE BALLS...I think 2 little blue stripes on the front fender would look nice alla' Vette Grand Sport!!!!
Like this you mean?

Or this?

I don't want to take over his thread with pictures of my work. But I'd say the black car below is more "huge balls" than the little blue stripes. Heck and if the next person doesn't like it, it all comes off easy. There is a LOT (2 tone offset stripe down the other side terminating in Lotus logo, unique front plate treatment, black wheel centers, windshield banner, Colins sig, Exige in roof scoop, Union Jack on wing, door wraps, etc) on the black car, so that is why I stuck to more subtle colors. They are barely seen in the shade/dark. The metallic pops more in the sun. Car looks completely different night and day.

Attachments

·
Registered
488 Posts
Like this you mean?

Or this?

I don't want to take over his thread with pictures of my work. But I'd say the black car below is more "huge balls" than the little blue stripes. Heck and if the next person doesn't like it, it all comes off easy. There is a LOT (2 tone offset stripe down the other side terminating in Lotus logo, unique front plate treatment, black wheel centers, windshield banner, Colins sig, Exige in roof scoop, Union Jack on wing, door wraps, etc) on the black car, so that is why I stuck to more subtle colors. They are barely seen in the shade/dark. The metallic pops more in the sun. Car looks completely different night and day.
That black car looks awesome.

1 - 20 of 39 Posts