The Lotus Cars Community banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
8,534 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just killing time and throwing out some bar talk - cite your favorite bands.

My musical tastes are all over the board and it depends on the mood I'm in. I'll listen to everything from Miles Davis to Cannibal Corpse.

Grew up on metal and then got into hardcore punk and post punk/alternative/college rock.

So, who I dig:

Current Bands: The Gaslight Anthem - the best band on the planet now. Period. Gogol Bordello, Belle and Sebastian, The National, Burlap to Cashmere

Singer/Songwriters: Neko Case, Gillian Welch, Damien Rice, Lyle Lovett

Alternative/College Rock: The Connells, The Pogues, Big Country (the most underrated band on the planet), Tragically Hip, Trashcan Sinatras, The Smiths, Echo and Bunnymen

Prog/Metal: Porcupine Tree, Ayreon, Opeth (possibly the best metal band ever?)

Dance/Pop/Fluff/HipHop - Sophie Ellis Bextor, Wyclef, Robyn (she is fantastic)

Classic Metal: Celtic Frost, Mercyful Fate, Dio, Venom, Tokyo Blade, Queensryche (early), Iron Maiden, Accept, Fates Warning

Hardcore:Agnostic Front, Youth of Today, Cro Mags, DRI, BGK, Christ on Parade, The Offenders, Naked Raygun, GBH, Discharge

Punk: The Business, Sham 69, Buzzcocks, The Misfits/Samhain

Folk: Fairport Convention (I own over 30 of their records)

Random: moe, Pat Green, Ozomatli, Steely Dan, Billy Bragg

There are a ton of others, but this is my random dump.

Who do you guys dig?

·
Registered
639 Posts
I'm with you on some of the punk bands, but my taste mainly runs toward the Industrial area. Stuff like Funker Vogt and Frontline Assembly, with a little Skinny Puppy thrown in on the side. But you still can't beat White Zombie for some pure driving bliss.

·
likes to drive fast
1,127 Posts
How can anyone not like The Smiths? :p

Since you like B & S, may I recommend Field Mice and Northern Picture Library?

I like your choice of metal bands. Any chance you listen to Mortiis? Used to dig the CMI catalog. Got a little too out there.

Other bands I dig :

Slowdive
The Drums
Joy Division/ New Order
Depeche Mode
Jesus and Mary Chain
Sisters of Mercy
NIN
St Etienne
Dead Can Dance

And numerous other gothic, industrial, glam rock...

Occasionally Stan Getz, Nat king, Bill Evans etc.

·
shay2nak
24,910 Posts
linkin park
garbage
stone temple pilots
smashing pumpkins
2pac
anthrax
pink floyd
doors
the cure
depeche mode

there are so many others, don't want to spend any more time listing.

·
Registered
471 Posts
David Gray
Richard Thompson
Leo Kottke
Lyle Lovett
Todd Sneider

·
Registered
309 Posts
Einsteurzende Neubauten
Nitzer Ebb
Nine Inch Nails
Skinny Puppy
Front 242

Garbage
Ting Tings
Curve

Leon Redbone (I can listen to his voice all day long)
...and about 1000 other groups/bands

·
Registered
1,980 Posts
Lately it's been Red Hot Chili Peppers for me, also The Meters. Been studying drums and I am going through a funk phase. However, a band I want to join is doing some Pink Floyd and I've been listening to Boston again, so I'll probably swing back toward 70's rock.

·
Registered
8,534 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
How can anyone not like The Smiths? :p

Since you like B & S, may I recommend Field Mice and Northern Picture Library?

I like your choice of metal bands. Any chance you listen to Mortiis? Used to dig the CMI catalog. Got a little too out there.

Other bands I dig :

Slowdive
The Drums
Joy Division/ New Order
Depeche Mode
Jesus and Mary Chain
Sisters of Mercy
NIN
St Etienne
Dead Can Dance

And numerous other gothic, industrial, glam rock...

Occasionally Stan Getz, Nat king, Bill Evans etc.
I didn't list all the bands I dig, but of course Joy Division/New Order, Depeche Mode, etc. I'll also add PIL, The Railway Children, Lush, Wild Swans and The Ocean Blue.

Sisters of Mercy/Mission UK were ok. For the 'goth' vibe, I dug Bauhaus and Siouxsie more. Alien Sex Fiend was a trip too!

And yep, definitely dig Mortiis. Such and unbelievable trip. Dude, he's a troll - a real live troll! :) I actually liked Emperor (his death metal band). Ironically enough, I have the GoPro from one our spirited drives on youtube and the songs I put for the 'soundtrack' include Mortiis' 'Smell The Witch' (and Slayer's 'War Ensemble' and Pendulum's 'Granite')

·
Registered
8,534 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Lately it's been Red Hot Chili Peppers for me, also The Meters. Been studying drums and I am going through a funk phase. However, a band I want to join is doing some Pink Floyd and I've been listening to Boston again, so I'll probably swing back toward 70's rock.
I've been playing for over 35 years (teach and build on the side too) and LOVES me some Meters. Ziggy Modeliste is a groove machine. Used to do 'Cissy Strut' in a band I was in.

So many great funk drummers/bands. Another great band I'm digging but forgot to mention is Galactic featuring the fantastic Stanton Moore on drums. I 've had the pleasure of hanging with him a couple of times - super cool dude and an amazing player. And of course, for funk, you must dig on Steve Jordan and David Garibaldi (Tower of Power).

Another great artist to check out is Josh Dion Band. He's a drum stud and plays keys with the right hand all the while singing funk. Very cool and crazy talented.

·
Registered
8,534 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
David Gray
Richard Thompson
Leo Kottke
Lyle Lovett
Todd Sneider
As noted, I'm a massive Fairport Convention fan. Richard Thompson is arguably the most underrated guitar player on the planet. Oh, and Vince Gill. Yes, schmaltzy country singer Amy Grant husband Vince Gill. He's a GREAT guitar player!

·
Registered
2,360 Posts
some favs in no particular order
the beatles
run dmc
public enemy
ben harper
hope sandavol / mazzy star
Nas
Damian Marley
sonny rollins
miles davis
paul simon
stevie wonder
jonny cash

Wait, hold up, I am supossed to list some obscure bands you guys have never heard of to act really cool in this type of thread

·
...call me a space cowboy
252 Posts
For those that enjoy more guitar oriented 80's wave (early cult/modern english), Blacklist is a good modern band ...http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RIcfGGiLZMg[/URL]

Also, for 70's band...Genesis, immediately post peter gabriel's departure. Albums Trick of the Tail (Sqounk) and Wind and Wuthering are really good.

Apologies if the link doesn't work

·
Registered
571 Posts
I'd say I have one of the randomest/wildest varieties. But I like anything that's decent. No recent electronica-spec' auto tune or rap crap.

One day you'll catch me listening to Fall Out Boy, Blink 182 or MxPx.
The next it'll be Blue Oyster Cult, Journey or Lynyrd Skynyrd.
Next it'll be Regina Spektor, Jose Gonzalez, Otis Taylor or my most recent discovery of a local boy... Matt Corby. Dude has one killer voice.
Next I'll be listening to some old jazz, Buddy Holly, Lou Christie or Queen.
Next it could be classical, maybe mixed up with some Offspring or Motion City Soundtrack.

One thing I'm starting to get into is listening to movie scores. Anything from Hans Zimmer and Michael Giaccino is golden.

·
Registered
1,980 Posts
I've been playing for over 35 years (teach and build on the side too) and LOVES me some Meters. Ziggy Modeliste is a groove machine. Used to do 'Cissy Strut' in a band I was in.

So many great funk drummers/bands. Another great band I'm digging but forgot to mention is Galactic featuring the fantastic Stanton Moore on drums. I 've had the pleasure of hanging with him a couple of times - super cool dude and an amazing player. And of course, for funk, you must dig on Steve Jordan and David Garibaldi (Tower of Power).

Another great artist to check out is Josh Dion Band. He's a drum stud and plays keys with the right hand all the while singing funk. Very cool and crazy talented.
Thanks! I've only been playing for a few years so any advice and suggestions are always welcome :) Wish I'd started sooner but at least I am playing now.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts