The Lotus Cars Community banner

1 - 20 of 55 Posts

·
Registered
3,311 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
your Lotus and your significant other

ok, there's now been two almost brand new cars on the for sale section that are for sale because the owner's girlfriend don't like the car. I wanted to get the opinion of the people here... especially the female Lotus owners.

To me, if my significant other doesn't like my car and forces me to sell it, I might as well cut off my balls and hand it to her. Its not about choosing the car over her, or I don't love her. Its about whether or not she even loves me enough to care that I'm taking a $15k-20k hit because of her. Now, we're all on this board because we are enthusiasts, and for me to give up something I enjoy and take a huge financial hit just because the person I'm with doesn't like it is just ridiculous.

I'm not talking about selling due to practical reasons (baby coming, needing a more practical car, needing money for family etc), I'm specifically talking about the only reason you is your significant other doesn't like the car due to lack of comfort, insecurities, or just wanting to exert her influence.

discuss.

ps, I noticed both of them are in the Bay Area, I understand there is a serious lack of quality women (too many geek engineers).... but still, do you really want to stay with someone that doesn't care about your interest or finances?

·
Mulholland>SCC
2,532 Posts
Well, there should not be ultimatums in a relationship anyways. A meeting of the minds, yes, ultimatums, no.

·
Registered
6,301 Posts
The girl I have been dating likes my elise, but she has a history of a disk problem and after her first ride in the Lotus, she had bad back pain for a few days (well I think it was from the Lotus)....so the next time I saw her, we ended up using my SUV :(....not a deal breaker, but if she or anyone else I was dating ever tried to dictate to me what car I should own that would be the end of the relationship.....

·
Registered
317 Posts
My wife hates Lotus. She hated the Esprit and now she hates the Elise. It doesn't affect our relationship since she knows how much I enjoy my toys. She'd never think of demanding I sell them. We share almost all of our interests and hobbies, but cars are my thing and she respects that. It helps that I don't buy cars on credit. I could understand if a hobby was getting in the way of paying the bills.

And beside, as my Dad used to say, the cars keep him out of the bars. Hard to chase skirts when your covered in grease.

·
Registered
907 Posts
My girlfriend got into a fight with me and the Lotus where she refused to drive in THAT car to a family function. I left her in the driveway where she drove herself.

You got to make a stand sometimes.

·
Registered
86 Posts
It took me about 3 years to negotiate the purchase of my Elise. For some strange reason, my wife is embarrassed to ride in the car.

Anyway, she knew what she was getting into before we were married.....

·
Registered
3,449 Posts
Any man who sells his Lotus because his wife/girlfriend doesn't like it, deserves to lose his Lotus. Have some balls for Christ's sake!

·
Registered
205 Posts
hi, I'm Frostylocks, a female Lotus owner...to comment:

1. after discussion over getting a sportscar, I let my husband decide which one BOTH of us would enjoy driving and riding in.

2. we already had daily drivers, so we wanted an indulgence.

3. he test drove other sportscars while i was out of state and ordered the car before I even sat in an Elise; I trusted his judgement.

4. the car has given us BOTH a lot of joy over the short time we have had it, and we both anticipate treasuring it and loving it for years to come.

5. yes I do drive it faster than my husband, and yes, I tell people that I bought the car for him! rotfl

6. to the guys that feel like their SO is asking them to give up their Lotus, have you asked them to give up anything, or is it simply true that women run the world! :coolnana:

·
Registered
1,222 Posts
My GF didn't want me to get the Lotus, and didn't say a word to me on the way to pick it up at the dealership.

I still have my Lotus.

·
Registered
4,743 Posts
my GF knows better than to make me get rid of any car i have whether old or new or running or brokedown or project cars

then again we love cars altogether so no worries, she dont like one i got she can go get one that she likes and we alternate using my car or her car

never any ultimatums, thats a :no: :no:

·
Registered
1,086 Posts
hi, I'm Frostylocks, a female Lotus owner...to comment:
5. yes I do drive it faster than my husband, and yes, I tell people that I bought the car for him! rotfl

6. to the guys that feel like their SO is asking them to give up their Lotus, have you asked them to give up anything, or is it simply true that women run the world! :coolnana:
Ok, for one thats awesome! Ive tried to get my wife into performance driving but she lost interest =( Drives an SUV now like a frickin soccer mom(We are never having kids)

Any man who sells his Lotus because his wife/girlfriend doesn't like it, deserves to lose his Lotus. Have some balls for Christ's sake!
Right? Unless you do not compromise with your wife on ANYTHING else, and you are willing to give up your car to keep OTHER luxuries... then any man should be ashamed of giving it up, and any woman responsible for making their man unhappy deserves the repercussions, that is that either their man will decide hes tired of being controlled and leave her, OR that he will turn into a pathetic lap dog and literally BORE her to death.

·
Registered
311 Posts
My GF loves the lotus she drives it every chance she gets... All the girls i know ask me to drive them around in it all the time. Where are you finding girls who don't like this car??? Seriously please tell me so i can make sure to never ever go there.

·
Registered
11,221 Posts
The girl I have been dating likes my elise, but she has a history of a disk problem and after her first ride in the Lotus, she had bad back pain for a few days (well I think it was from the Lotus)....so the next time I saw her, we ended up using my SUV :(....not a deal breaker, but if she or anyone else I was dating ever tried to dictate to me what car I should own that would be the end of the relationship.....

It's time for a new one Cory. If you stay together long enough, she will try to make you sell it for a Porsche!!!

·
Registered
1,573 Posts
Some ladies will demand to get rid of a favored item just to see if the idiot will do it. It's a control thing.

I'm the lucky one I guess. I recently mentioned to my wife that I might sell the Elise and Cheap Wrangler to get a cheaper pickup and car (that would work better for the new job) and another motorcycle. Her option was to sell the Cheap and keep the Lotus as long as possible, but that ultimately it was my choice. Hmm.. I like her for some reason. :)

I guess Rule #1 has always been and will always be: NEVER LET SOMEONE WHO YOU ARE NOT OBLIGATED TO MAKE YOUR FINANCIAL DECISIONS FOR YOU!!! IE: if it's just a girlfriend, and not a wife, make no major decisions until the ring is on the finger and you have both said "I do". I have seen waaaaay too many guys go out, sell off their prized possesions, take a loss, often major, only to have the ditz dump them within months if not days before they get married. Not only are they out the ditz (good riddance) but they are also out their time, their money, and the things that made them happy.

·
Registered
1,573 Posts
Ok, for one thats awesome! Ive tried to get my wife into performance driving but she lost interest

Another area where I was lucky. My wife, (then GF) had a '93 Camry that got her through College. It had been hit more than Tyson's GF. I taught her to drive a manual in the Elise (Welcome to the Cherohala Skyway, great place to teach 'em) and she promptly sold the Camry, went out and got her 'practical car', an '07 Civic Si sedan that she intends to autocross once we have a few free weekends. Besides this she's always out in the kayaks or on the dualsports and motorcycles with me. Half the time I can't catch up to her. Sometimes, ya just get lucky!

(Btw, EliseAutoXer gave her the first autocross ride in his '06 Elise and the picture I snapped was hillarious, the helmet she was wearing was almost as big as her grin!!!)

·
Registered
11,221 Posts
I guess Rule #1 has always been and will always be: NEVER LET SOMEONE WHO YOU ARE NOT OBLIGATED TO MAKE YOUR FINANCIAL DECISIONS FOR YOU!!! IE: if it's just a girlfriend, and not a wife, make no major decisions until the ring is on the finger and you have both said "I do". I have seen waaaaay too many guys go out, sell off their prized possesions, take a loss, often major, only to have the ditz dump them within months if not days before they get married. Not only are they out the ditz (good riddance) but they are also out their time, their money, and the things that made them happy.
One of my friends did this recently with some pig he is going out with. It's his first GF (yeah, I know...), so he basically serves her like she is a queen and he's her slave.

He loves performance cars, but due to HER DEMAND of a usable back seat and no RWD, he didn't grab up BMW 128i or an RX8. No. He got a Honda Accord V6 coupe. I wanted to punch him in the face and still sort of do.

·
Banned
874 Posts

·
Registered
999 Posts
I'm not saying that the story in any of these recent threads is untrue, but I do wonder whether some of these 'early sale' Elise/Exige posts are somewhat stretching the 'my SO doesn't like the car' theme. Without any data, I suspect that some of these for-sale threads are really guys who thought that they wanted the Elise/Exige, but found that it wasn't exactly what they expected (in terms of ingress/egress, lack of cruise control, or whatever).
To some, it may make a better story to say "my SO doesn't like it" than to report "I really didn't clearly think through my original purchase, and I want 'out' so I can buy a toy that better suits me."

·
Registered
1,679 Posts
I'm not saying that the story in any of these recent threads is untrue, but I do wonder whether some of these 'early sale' Elise/Exige posts are somewhat stretching the 'my SO doesn't like the car' theme. Without any data, I suspect that some of these for-sale threads are really guys who thought that they wanted the Elise/Exige, but found that it wasn't exactly what they expected (in terms of ingress/egress, lack of cruise control, or whatever).
To some, it may make a better story to say "my SO doesn't like it" than to report "I really didn't clearly think through my original purchase, and I want 'out' so I can buy a toy that better suits me."
+1 that's what I think. Better to blame it on the GF than to say, "it was too uncomfortable for ME (the guy owner)"
As for selling a car for a SO (not married spouse) - never! As for a married spouse, you are stuck with them so I could see where if someone puts up such a fuss it would be easier to dump the car for your sanity - but in that case you messed up on who you married! Ideally your spouse should support your interests, car included. I personally wouldn't sell my Lotus for anyone. My SO doesn't like my Elise, but whatevers, we each have our own fleet.

1 - 20 of 55 Posts