The Lotus Cars Community banner
1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Banned
938 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello.
Just watched the RUSH Movie. Saw Senna 2days ago. ...again.
Curious of your opinions on both.:)

·
Registered
686 Posts
Rush was pretty good, considering I wasn't alive in those days its great to have a hollywood reenactment, I'd say I liked Senna much better though, considering it was a documentary and not all glitz and glam. They are both a must watch.

·
Premium Member
4,117 Posts
I liked Rush but "1" was better, so was Senna.

·
Super Moderator
4,177 Posts
I remember the RUSH story when it unfolded in the 1970s as a teenager.

After refreshing my memory and seeing the movie, the movie was reasonably entertaining, but had some Hollywood 'artistic' license on some so-called scenes (e.g. Hunt knew Lada earlier than depicted in the movie, Hunt punching a reporter was another fabrication, et al).

The movie does recreate the crash in an eerily accurate way.

I recommend it as a reasonably entertaining movie. But if you're like me, you'll be comparing the subtle differences in real life just because I remember it.

·
likes to drive fast
1,128 Posts
Like both. Can't really compare...since one is a doc.

That said, I think Rush got robbed of golden globe nominations. Ron Howard did an amazing job and should have been nominated.

·
Registered
1,270 Posts
I really enjoyed the movie. I saw Senna a few months back and it really got to me.

Rush was definitely dramatized as per hollywood fashion, but didnt seem over the top.

·
Registered
623 Posts
My wife and I watched Rush twice at the theater. We never do that for a movie!

As a young boy growing up in the UK in those days, the movie had personal significance. But I felt it work well as story about human competitiveness and obsession even for people with no interest in F1.

The was proven by the fact my wife loved it too. She's an American who wasn't alive at that time and has no history of interest in F1. The fact she wanted to go back to watch it a second time shows how strong it is as a compelling story about human beings.

I too was surprised that it was completely overlooked at the Golden Globes. But then all those industry awards are nonsense anyway (awards that require that you have to campaign in order to first be considered and then to win are a joke in my book).

·
Registered
7,117 Posts
I liked the movie, but I actually think the documentary is better.
James Hunt: Clash Of The Titans - Lauda Vs Hunt - YouTube
i agree.... now, i liked rush - and i am glad it was made. but there are a few things i hate about it. first off we have to admit it was a "low budget, independent film" this was not a hollywood blowout - and as such, very limited resources, time, and so forth. with that said my big complaint is the script. the story is told through two characters nature and behaviors, while typically thats fine for character development, it just wasn't in the contact of racing. and really - they story could have been just as well told by editing out the ... what, oh 5 mins of racing in the film... the racing and the cars had zero context except as stage props. they could have been racing canoes... we (the audience) never got a feel for them driving or racing. they talk about risk... but we never understand how or why a car is driving. we never understand hunts win or crash style vs lauda's calculated start to finish conserve the car approach. the movie never tells anything about the racing. and thats where it really irritates me. every time i watch it i throw my hand up in disgust "what? you shift a lot and stomp the pedal, swerve around and thats how you pass?"...fast and furious crap. also - that documentary does a fabulous job of giving the context and the drama to the story -i don't think the film really had much drama. the only drama to the story was lauda fighting for his life and his comeback (a great story! but such a small part of the film). their was a good little undertone about hunt being liked, lauda unsocial and how they reconcile and respect each other... but i think ~50% of the film was off target and miss represented. skimped on context and detail for no reason other then to water it down. i get what howard was trying to do - but i think he swung too far in the opposite direction and didn't make a film about F1, he made a film about 2 guys.

gran prix wins every time- that movie, you get the feeling of being in the car, what it might be like, the challenges to drive, how and why its dangerous. yea it outdated production wise. but its a far better film about racing, IMO. and also id take the quite subtlety of lemans over the flash and lack of substance of rush.

·
Registered
268 Posts
I have to say I enjoyed them both!

Senna was a history lesson to me and I appreciated that perspective.

My wife and I both liked Rush...great movie for the masses.

·
Registered
945 Posts
I liked both.

Rush is a top-notch Hollywood drama that happens to be about two racing drivers and their rivalry. While it has a few decent race sequences I didn't think it was a "racing" movie. Rush didn't really spend time on race strategy exposition or description and there aren't really many spectacular driving scenes. The few there are range from pretty accurate and decent to really contrived "step on the gas and you're magically faster" Hollywood stuff.

Senna does an amazing job using genuine archival / homevideo footage to make an enticing movie. Depending on who you are you might like it more or less - while Rush works at a breakneck pace to develop two drivers through their relationship and rivalry with each other, Senna is a bit slower and more contemplative and is more about Senna's relationship with himself, his values, and his faith than his rivals.

I'd still recommend both: Senna for the emotion and the genius use of old footage to put you in the moment, and Rush for managing fast pace and drama without going over the top.

·
Registered
175 Posts
Rather liked Rush. It did, as noted above, have some Hollywood additions, but none that were unrealistic. I mean, James Hunt was certainly the type of guy to go off and deck someone if they were asking for it.

Overall, I'd see it again.

Still waiting to watch Senna... prob this weekend.

But hey, I still love Grand Prix!:clap:

·
Registered
8,534 Posts
Haven't seen Rush let (have a CHI to CA flight next week and will watch on plane).

Senna is simply awesome.

"1" is fantastic! I would also recommend both installments of 'Truth in 24" as well.

·
Banned
938 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Afterall it's the newer RIGHT STUFF isnt it.
And that always works.

·
Registered
7,349 Posts
Wonder if anything else will happen in F1 worthy of making a movie about.

·
Registered
1,091 Posts
1 awesome (great primer for any newbs attending their first F1 race)
Senna awesome (I like watching it in conjunction with the Top Gear Senna tribute)
Truths in 24 awesome (if Allan McNish's lap description in the first one doesn't get your heart racing, time for an EKG)
Rush awesome.

I don't think there's as much nuance in the genre myself. Racing films are either great or utter crap. I think that we should be happy more on a pass / fail basis. The passes are really good and the fails just suck (see Stallone, Sylvester: Driven, Etc., Etc.).

Anyway, I'm glad that Rush was made. I think it had some valuable things to teach my thirteen year old boy.

The best scene is when Lauda and his soon to be girlfriend are hitchhiking in Italy. Gold Jerry, Gold! I laughed until I cried each time I watched it (five times in the theater). Unfortunately, the English subtitles didn't do it justice. "Wait until I tell my friends that Niki Lauda is driving my grandmother's car!" Those two other actors absolutely nailed it as total Tifosi. Perfect.

·
Banned
938 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
In RUSH did you notice the FerrariGT4 with Regazonni Driving and Lauda in the passenge side?
I had always an interest for this car. Be it quirky or affordable to the common man.
It did look superb in the film, didnt it?
I wonder if prices will climb a bit because of this movie?
Curious?
Your opinions on this car?

·
Registered
7,117 Posts
In RUSH did you notice the FerrariGT4 with Regazonni Driving and Lauda in the passenge side?
I had always an interest for this car. Be it quirky or affordable to the common man.
It did look superb in the film, didnt it?
I wonder if prices will climb a bit because of this movie?
Curious?
Your opinions on this car?
i always liked them - my old neighbor is restoring one. i think they are great. a true "italian 911"

for whatever reasons.... the mid engine v8 production ferrari have never gotten traction in the marketplace. the mondial is the true successor, and its probably the cheapest f-car you can buy. they will not go up in value due to a low budget film.

·
Registered
1,144 Posts
Another great Ron Howard Film. I think Hollywood did a great job, good enough that it kept my wife interested through out the entire movie. :up:

1 - 20 of 28 Posts