The Lotus Cars Community banner
1 - 20 of 45 Posts

·
Banned
938 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Hello.
After much discussion, I have a chance to purchase a 1989 Esprit Turbo with 66000 Kilometeres with a rebuilt tranny and new clutch.
Everything works! On kijiji.
Black interior Red exterior with X180r Type wheels.
This car is from PeachLand B.C Canada.
I'd appreciate if someone could load it up..

I know it's not an SE but I am getting a spanking good deal.
Your genuine opinions on this car would be very appreciated.
Thanks.
Mike

·
Banned
938 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thank You.

I can have this car delivered to my house for the price of $14000.00
I figure there is something good here.
You?

·
Banned
938 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I'm not crazy about the wheels.
Probably 15" as well.
Tires damn tires!
Are there decent tires still around for these wheels?
All seasons on this vehicle with Good Years. Not Good enough!
Plus the rear tires profile are so radius'd like an ol' Dodge 81 variant's wheel profile.
No like!
Are these Mags somewhat obsolete now ?

·
Super Moderator
4,177 Posts
There's a few recent threads on wheel or tire upgrades. Some have mentioned some 15" tires around or you can go the expensive route of swapping wheel to 17"

This car - when was timing belt last service.? Don't even think of driving it until belt is properly maintained. Trust me on this one :)

·
Banned
938 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 · (Edited)
There's a few recent threads on wheel or tire upgrades. Some have mentioned some 15" tires around or you can go the expensive route of swapping wheel to 17"

This car - when was timing belt last service.? Don't even think of driving it until belt is properly maintained. Trust me on this one :)
Belt was done less then 7 months ago!

·
Banned
938 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I have never seen these wheels before but in person ,I could perhaps Dig them.
Last car I was inspecting had the asymmetrical -turbine-wheels which when I saw were so fine....BUT TIRES!!!!!

·
Super Moderator
4,177 Posts
I have never seen these wheels before but in person ,I could perhaps Dig them.
Last car I was inspecting had the asymmetrical -turbine-wheels which when I saw were so fine....BUT TIRES!!!!!
Here's my posting on going to 17" due to the small selection of tires in 15".

http://www.lotustalk.com/forums/f164/post-your-favorite-esprit-pics-here-40887/index33.html#post2696922

Re : timing belt change - make sure it's verified to be 7 months. That price is a touch low if the belt was done and asking $14K Canadian.

·
Banned
938 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Here's my posting on going to 17" due to the small selection of tires in 15".

http://www.lotustalk.com/forums/f164/post-your-favorite-esprit-pics-here-40887/index33.html#post2696922

Re : timing belt change - make sure it's verified to be 7 months. That price is a touch low if the belt was done and asking $14K Canadian.
Hi SLEEK GT -He was/is asking $17500. I have been in contact with this Gentleman for over 7 months.
He own's an Esprit v8 as well which he wishes to keep.
Very nice man, he is.
Mike

·
Registered
67 Posts
Thank You.

I can have this car delivered to my house for the price of $14000.00
I figure there is something good here.
You?
Here is my view comparing to my own purchase experience 2 years ago:

I paid 12,000USD for mine, bought from a guy in North Carolina. It`s 1991 SE with 59,000 mileage.

The Pros;
It`s SE (chargecooler) 264HP
Timing belt was 2 years old (48,000)
Transmission clutch new
Fuel injectors - RC Engineering
Fuel tanks repaired
Steering rack changed
Turbo boosts to max
Chargecooler/pump good
Cooper Sports tires brand new on S4 mags
Exterior body and paint is fair (7.5/10)

The Scary part an hour after the delivery :shrug: ;
Engine idling was very rough (turned out to be a bad Oxygen sensor)
Exhaust blowing black smoke (fixed from above)
Brake master fluid leaking/dripping on the floor (will convert to Wilwood)
ABS light on ( no point of fixing)
The headlight pod was up and the other down (water drain clogged, control module changed)
Radio system dead (replaced with updated player and rewired)
AC not working (have not looked at it yet)
Interior needs attention (fixed it with leather repair kit and turned out good)

Now here are the extra expenses buying from US;
Open transport (1300 USD)
Duty, tax and brokerage fee (1700 USD)
Our wondeful 9.5 % GST tax when you register (1100 USD)

If you are buying local then you'll save 75% of the non value added expenses above. Considering what the owner saying is true is a big plus. Have you seen and drove the car in person? It is a must or at least invest on a Pre purchase inspection. There will always be some hidden problems, the only question is how serious $$$$$$$ it is and can you fix it yourself. If you don't mind not having the SE and extra performance it offers, I believe the deal is good. Our deal is not that far apart and actually very close! The only thing I am happy about is the "SE" option with no regrets. I hope this helps ... :wave:

Good Luck
JR.

·
Registered
1,219 Posts
I am guessing that as the price includes delivery you haven't viewed it yet? Buying any car 'sight unseen' is a gamble, multiple that by 10 when its an exotic or 'out of the ordinary'. Don't get me wrong, I have bought Esprits and Elans sight unseen, but I made damn sure to have it inspected either by a reputable shop or by a member of a Lotus forum who lived close by. The ONLY time I didn't was an ebay purchase (91 Elan-see avatar) and as soon as I set eyes on it at the brokers I knew I had been screwed over :facepalm, 'caveat emptor'.

Colin

·
Banned
938 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Thanks for your replies.
I would rather have an SE with S4 wheels..man.-heavy sigh.
BUT-you can't have it all.
Is there anyone close by that could check out the car for me?
I will pay you for your time and effort.
Mike.

·
Banned
938 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Hi.
After talking to the fella a bit more, the timing belt was changed in 2006. It was not changed this year.
He says it's quite allright because he's put less than 4000k on it since then.
:facepalm

·
Wingless Wonder
1988 Esprit Turbo
6,312 Posts
... the timing belt was changed in 2006. I
:panic: :panic: :panic: :panic:

·
Registered
1,219 Posts
Hi.
After talking to the fella a bit more, the timing belt was changed in 2006. It was not changed this year.
Game changer, but not really a deal breaker. The first thing I do when I get an Esprit in the garage is check valve clearances and change the timing belt and tensioner. Total cost is less than $300, piece of mind priceless. It's a 24 year old Lotus, plan on changing belts and hoses as well as other time sensitive parts.
Colin

·
Banned
938 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
300$ + a 2 day labor of love... Can you do this service for the love of Esprit Mike? I say buy it if you can do it ...
Hi..
I just talked to Billy again.
The Vacuum pump needs changing. All else besides t.b is A-OK.
He has an extra t.b.-if that's a bonus!

I am more reassured now then ever though!
One thing though, he says he has another interest close by in town that won't be back till after Jan.2.
I asked him to send me a very good videe of the car and more pics.
He said he can backup all repairs/replacement with receipts.
No leaks.
Paint is very good.
He said he should have gotten wider tires for the rear.
He's got a 2001 V8 for sale on Auto Trader-Kelowna. He will keep one or the other.

What I need is..is the Vacuum Pump replaced before delivery and Delivery itself.
After I receive the pics. and it is agreed upon that the V.Pump will be replaced..........................I think I will bite!!
Mike
where's the Valium?

·
Registered
466 Posts
Sounds great Mike. Best of luck. This one is sounding real good...

Are you planning to trailer the car back? Would allow you to take care of the maintenance issues in time for spring? Ask Bill if he has anyone in the Okanagan Valley that can work on his Loti; would be great to know for future reference anyway. I am pretty sure he gets the major stuff done by Richard in Vancouver though (see story below). If the receipts are from Richard at Richmond Auto Clinic the work has been done correctly.

Ask if the spare belt is a blue one; that is the upgraded replacement (at least that's the deal for the V8). Not sure what is involved with the vacuum pump job and what is wrong / effected; is the car not drivable without it being serviced first? Is this just a case of getting the replacement part from Richard and getting it put in?

Let me know if you are coming through Calgary. If you are interested, I think there are a couple of shops here that could do the service work for you. Would be best to have parts lined up and time booked though.

I just figured out who the seller is. I bought an alternator core from Bill last year when mine failed right before leaving for the ABFM in Vancouver. Had the alternator rebuilt locally, threw it at the car, and set out. It failed in the middle of the Rocky Mountains due to an assembly error. What a week that was!

Good guy; you will enjoy the car. PS, got a new alternator dude!

Stu

1 - 20 of 45 Posts