The Lotus Cars Community banner
  • Hi there! Why not register as a user to enjoy all of the benefits of the site? You may register here. When you register, please pick a username that is non-commercial. If you use a name that appears on any search engine commercially, you must pick another name, whether it applies to you or not. Commercial usernames are for supporting vendor use only. If you want to become a supporting vendor and grow your business, please follow this link. Thanks!

Your thoughts on this 1969 Seven S3

6K views 19 replies 7 participants last post by  Aedo 
#1 ·
Hello all. After a few years wanting a Lotus Seven, I found this little S3 powered by a 1600 Xflow and 4 spd tranny that looks promising. However, being the first time I'm face to face to one of them, I cannot even tell if it's real. According to the current owner (and I have no reasons to doubt) this is probably the lowest mileage, most authentic S3 out there. After some talking I learned that the exhaust pipe is not correct, the rear fenders are not original (see the square taillights), the windshield brackets might be not, and the hood... I'm not sure... it looks like a different material but it might be because someone tried to clean it with a brill-o sponge. Another thing that caught my attention was that the rear wheels are not centered under the rear arches, is that normal? The front cone and probably other parts were recently painted, so I don't know about the actual condition or originality of those, or if there's any rust on the metal parts (roll bar, struts, dampers etc.). Other than that lights, instruments, wheels and tyres seem to be original and Made in UK.
So, look at the pictures (http://flickr.com/gp/69489576@N04/y4Avi1/) and tell me what do you think... should I bit the bullet? Is it as original as advertised? Thanks all!

#2 ·
Nice find. Looks quite original. As you stated the rear wings are Caterham (about 2" wider than the original 9" wide). Tail lights are correct for an S3. Dunlop wheels are pretty rare. Has the original red plastic clutch hose, get rid of that ASAP! Bonnet looks correct, although the finish has much to be desired. Even the tires look original, Dunlop SPs (I would not drive on them for any meaningful distance).

Good luck!
Kiyoshi

#3 ·
I was prepared to knock it but lots of the details look just right. I had a S2.5, one of the 20 transition cars and lots of that one looks perfect. Rear wheels non centre is also dead right. Amazing condition kept making me look for the errors but I didn't find any. Whats the chassis number?

#4 ·
Thanks guys. Chassis number was hard to read, it was hand engraved (is that right?) and it was something like LSB 254? Couldn't read the last number... Which looks correct. However, that round mark on the top left corner of the serial plate is suspicious... Was it re-riveted?

#6 ·
If it was RHD I'd be buying it out from under you. The biggest downside is that it is such a time machine piece you would need to own it carefully and try and keep it as nice as it is. Things like the metal fluid reservoir caps, air cleaner etc are such sweet period pieces. Ours had the same side screen mounts on the pillars. Do it or lose it.

#8 ·
You absolutely need to walk away from this one; and please give me the current owners full contact information (and price), so I can give him a piece of my mind for attempting to sell it to an unsuspecting owner. BTW, does he want cashier's check?

#10 ·
LOL, I am joking, I was asking for the information to steal it away under the original poster!

#20 ·
How did you get on? :)

In (late) response to your earlier question of how it feels to be next to a big truck (or bus or even modern SUV) it is amazing and nerve wracking the first time... but the cars agility provides a huge amount of confidence so it really isn't a problem.

#19 ·
I have a 1969 Seven S3 and this one looks accurate except for the rear taillights which are Caterham. The serial number will have 4 digits. Also the wheels have been bead blasted which look fine as is, but they can be easily painted back to the original black if you want. By the way I need a lug nut to fit these wheels, if any one has a spare to part with, PM me.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.