The Lotus Cars Community banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi guys,
what do you say would be a better combination for the elise?

5.25" 2-way component speakers for the front and 6.5" co-axial for the rear, with 4 channel amplifier (with amp crossover set to full pass)

or

5.25" 2-way component speakers for the front and 6.5" mid-bass for the rear (using amp's crossover set to low pass only)

Tks

·
Banned
7,592 Posts
Some good ipod earphones.

And a raging loud exhaust so you don't care about listening to anything anyway.

·
Registered
270 Posts
I just finished installing JL Audio 5.25" in the front and 6.5" in the back. Still running the stock HU and no amp at this time. I'll run with this for a while and see how it works out. So far I'm happy with this setup. See my signature for speaker models.

·
Registered
912 Posts
Im running Boston acoustics 5.25 component up front and 5.25 coaxial in the rear with a Alpine CDA-9887 with no amp. It sounds GREAT i can actually drone out my exhaust which is LOUD!!!

If I add an amp im sure it will sound a lot cleaner and louder, but that may or may not happen.

Also considering a self powered sub from Almani, 8" 300 watts RMS.

·
Registered
55 Posts
I'm running Focal's in the rear and Polk's in the dash, they're being driven by a Alpine PDX-5 Amp and CDA-9886 HU and I have a small Sub box (Custom made) in the foot well, passenger side.

I can't hear my exhaust note now...not to mention much else actually :D, all in all a very crisp clean sound!

I can't take any credit for being original with any of this...it was down to all the posts on the forum and the folks who have gone before me with their decisions and recommendations! Thanks to all who put their findings/suggestions up :clap:

·
Registered
2,519 Posts
Hertz 5.25" in the dash, polk 6.5" in the back, everything else stock...sounds amazing.:clap:

·
www.theapexinn.com
11,688 Posts
two turns to the left, stop at 16. 1/2 turn to the right, stop at 26. Left turn to 3. ( that's the best combination I could come up with )

·
Registered
2,771 Posts
Don't put tweeters in the rear. It hurts the soundstage imaging. 6.5" in the rear is good. You probably want bass to midrange to go to the rears to get a fuller sound effect, but experiment with the amp's filter and see what sounds best to you. Audio tastes vary.

5.25 inch in the front is good, but can be a royal pain to install if you have to open up the speaker hole in the dash (lots of work with a Dremel tool). I did it, but in hindsight, I wouldn't again. If you do it, make sure you find a speaker that can fit in the existing hole. A few have been reported here. Unfortunately, their sound may not be to your taste, so find a place to listen to them if you can.

It is best if you get component speakers in the front and mount the tweeters to face the occupants rather than bouncing the sound off the windshield. The windshield bounce hurts the soundstage imaging. I made little black stands for my tweeters, and it sounds very good. (I wrote it up years ago in a thread here somewhere.)

A subwoofer makes a big difference. The footwell mounting location is the best acoustically. I used the JL Audio Stealthbox.

·
Registered
41 Posts
Here is my setup, CDT audio 5.25 component set for front stage and 6.5" rears for bass, I lined the openings for the rear with sound deadining foam and it puts out a surprising amount of bass for what it is. I used two ARC Audio amps, they now have a 4 channel amp with the same power output and is very small.

Tass

Attachments

1 - 10 of 10 Posts