The Lotus Cars Community banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
216 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Don't hog all the complaining about the delivery of your cars to yourselves, guys. I have just heard that deliveries of new "S3" cars to Australia (and possibly other places) are going to be really slow for maybe 2 years or so due to "the backlog of over 3000 firm orders" for the USA.
You guys are getting upset with Lotus - Now we are all going to get upset with you for hogging the production line !!

What a laugh !! I guess we will just have to "put up with" our S1's and S2's a bit longer !! :D

Giles

·
Registered
6,802 Posts
Heard lots of rumors on SELOC about the S3, but don't know anything, I suspect it's perhaps a redesign to some degree?

Chris

·
Registered
113 Posts
Pretty sure S3 = 111r

It was often the terminology used during the rumours of a Toyota powered Elise. It was also used when there was a possibility of a 2.5 V6 engine as well.

If you think about it, in some ways a bigger step forward than S1 to S2.

There is a wait on the 111r in Australia. It's getting longer as the orders come in.

Mine was quick because I bought the demo!

·
Registered
216 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Yes I meant the Toyota engined car when I said "S3". (I did put it in "inverted commas" to show it was just a name) But there are so many derivitives out there (111 S, 111R, Sport 160, Sport 135 etc etc etc) that it easier to just start by saying "I have an S1" when it is the original body, "I have an S2" when it is the newer shape, and therefore "S3" refers to the Toyota engined version. Once that is established you can further say what type it is. This is especially valid when talking about spare parts - If you just ask for "brake calipers" the first question will be "S1 or S2 ?"
In the US you won't have this problem initially because everyone will naturally be talking about Toyota engined cars, but as soon as you get a new version in the US in a couple of years time, you will need to have a way of differentiating. And Lotus has always used "S1", "S2" etc in the past, so why should we change ? "Mark 2" sounds more like a Spitfire or a Jaguar. S1 or S2 is instantly Lotus.
I am not saying this is formally "correct" - it is just the terminology that thousands of Elise owners around the world already use.
Unless you Americans need to have your own terminology that is totally different from what everyone else is already using, and unable to be understood by anyone else, in which case please feel free !!!
Giles.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts