The Lotus Cars Community banner

1 - 20 of 49 Posts

·
Registered
670 Posts
Elise= $39k
Z06=$52K

Elise= Faster across intersections
Z06= Faster after that, until of course.......... the road turns.

Elise= Little
Z06= Big

Z06 will get you adulation from high school kids and rednecks, Harley riders and wrestling fans

Elise will attract driving enthusiasts once they discover it's not a kit car body over a VW motor

For a more detailed review please send Elise and Z06, prepaid of course. I do own a Corvette, and used to own a Lotus Cortina that beat Corvettes across intersections.

Steve

·
Registered
55 Posts
Oh, I highly doubt that this topic will spur a debate. By the way, which is better looking: the S1 Elise or the S2 Elise?

·
Registered
825 Posts
I'm as avid a fan of the Elise as anyone, but a Z06 (in the hands of a skilled driver) will win out on any but the tightest courses. Look at 0-60 times, top speed and power/weight ratios.

For anyone who hasn't driven a Z06 on the track, they are incredible cars. I would rank them up there with the Elise in terms of performance value per dollar.

For me, the Elise wins because it is faster in the ways that I enjoy most (high G cornering), has stunning looks and is special in a way that a mass market car can never achieve.

And to ward off any claims that "my buddy Nigel whipped up an a Z06 in his Elise around Nurburgring," the driver makes all of the difference. I've beaten up on Z06s in my 22-year-old RX7, and I'm not that good. Some people are just that bad. :)

Jefferson

·
Registered
1,230 Posts
A well driven Z06 is not a well driven C5. They are a totally different beast. They are FAST. The issue is that you don't normally have a good driven behind the wheel.

Your stock Elise won't beat a well driven Z06 anywhere (on a road course). They are fast machines in the right hands. The Elise will need suspension work to get the job done.

As far as driving experience - the Elise wins this category. There is nothing sold in the US market that compares to the driving experience of an Elise.

·
Registered
1,495 Posts
I agree the driver's skills are KEY. I flew past a Z06 in my '02 Subaru WRX at Homestead's road course. That's 227 HP beating 405 HP. It was only a matter of driving the line.

I've tracked my '04 WRX-STi twice, and drive circles around C5's. I've even passed Porsche Turbos. But, again, I strongly suspect it's a difference in driving skills. Either way, I LOVE my STi!!!

Mike

·
Registered
2,262 Posts
If the Elise had more power then it would be a lot closer. With the increase of wieght I would think that the Elise would need 30-50 more HP to really equal the two in the hands of a skilled driver. The driver is way too much of a factor. I could drive a F1 car and still lose to either one because I'm not that skilled of a driver (yet).

But in terms of style the Elise wins. ;) No amount of HP will change that.

·
Registered
1,315 Posts
Great thread guys!
Sownman - Best and shortest answer I have seen :D
The driver makes a huge difference in any car. It must be well over 90% of people with Drivers licences do not understand how to drive or what their vehicles limits are.
A C5 would outperform a Fed Elise, just look at the lb/hp ratios (wish I had the chart I made up with me). Lb/hp and overall weight are key physics factors that are usually used to class cars. Suspension is secondary. The overall weight would mean that the Elise can corner at slightly faster speeds. The KEY difference is the fun driving a lighter car, now that makes these two cars WORLDS apart.

·
Registered
92 Posts
I'm selling my 2003 Z06 to get the Elise. While I love the Z06 and there is wonderful power in every gear at every RPM (it's truly incredible), for me it comes down to owning a car that will be produced in quantities of about 3,000 per year versus 30,000 per year at a reasonable price that will be fun to drive, handle well and even be fast in a straight line (uh oh I said it). I like some level of exclusivity and at $40k the Lotus beats everything out there.

As for fun factor, I guess I will have to see when I drive the Elise. The Z06 is surprisingly comfortable and although the interior is inferior, the ergonomics are great. And of course the handling is amazing, a lot better than a C5 and I know as I had a 2002 C5.

As for price, the Z06 and Elise are not that far apart as you can get a brand new 2004 Z06 for about 46K (sticker price of $52K).

All in all, two great cars and probably about the best bang for the buck you can get.

·
Registered
1,230 Posts
FedElise - stop magazine racing. The Z06 can reproduce those numbers all day long. The Elise takes some doing to get those numbers (7K rpm clutch drops).

·
Forum Founder
29,083 Posts
It is going to be close. The Z-06 is a great car as far as performance.

The Elise is still smaller, lighter. The differences in acceleration can be made up in braking later, and carrying more speed into the corners. It may come down to the track. It will certainly depend on the driver. :)

·
Registered
118 Posts
meat said:
FedElise - stop magazine racing. The Z06 can reproduce those numbers all day long. The Elise takes some doing to get those numbers (7K rpm clutch drops).

Who cares if it takes clutch drops to get those numbers? How often do you go against Z06? Z06 is a great car, I didn't say anything otherwise, but it's not as hopeless as some posters have made it.

I meant on the track, a little more hopeless at drag strips

·
Registered
1,155 Posts
At the risk of being accused of being a magazine racer, I'm sure most people have read this:

http://www.roadandtrack.com/article.asp?section_id=3&article_id=221&page_number=1

note, the Elise in the article was a 120bhp rover engined one.

How they ranked:

1. Ferrari 360 Modena
2. Lotus Elise
3. Porsche 911 Turbo
4. Mitsubishi Lancer Evolution VII
5. Chevrolet Corvette Z06
6. Porsche Boxster S
7. BMW M3 coupe
8. Mazda MP3

·
Registered
3,664 Posts
I ran into an old friend from high school at a bar over the weekend and started talking cars with him...

What a mistake.

According to him, a mustang cobra will "beat the **** out of anything lamborghini, lotus, ferrari, or any of those other foreign garbage manufacturers ever have and ever will make".

I gave up and wandered away from that dead-end conversation as soon as I could.

·
Registered
529 Posts
Although the Z06 and Elise have similar numbers, just imagine how much faster the Z06 would be if their owners lost all the gold chains and Foster Grants... :D

·
Registered
1,230 Posts
FedElise - I am on the track with Z06's almost every time I go to the track. They are very fast. In my Exige I can't compete with a well driven Z06. They are too fast in the straights.

The ability to accelerate out of a corner is a huge issue. While I may carry more speed through the corner and be able to brake later than the Z06 - they destroy my Exige in a straight line. Horsepower is horsepower - no questions asked.

Keep in mind that I've had guys who drive 600+hp cars (Vipers, Skylines, Vettes) ride/drive my Exige and they always have a huge smile on their face when they get out. There is more to driving than absolute speed.

1 - 20 of 49 Posts