The Lotus Cars Community banner
1 - 20 of 39 Posts

·
Registered
1,096 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My car has not had a good wash in quiet some time... so it's time to spend the weekend and detail her. I was thinking of grabbing a line of Zaino products for the job.
Just a quick question to those who use their products:
What exactly will I need?
I was thinking of the following:
Z-7 Show Car Wash
Z-18 ClayBar

Z-AIO All-in-one (or should I go with the ZFX Flash Cure Accelerator Additive instead?)
Z-5 PRO Show Car Polish for Swirl Marks and Fine Scratches (If I'm getting this, I assume I don't need to grab Z2?)
Z-6 Ultra Clean Gloss Enhancer Spray

And I just realized all this stuff comes in Z-Kit1. Hm.

Any recommendations on what drying towels to use? I still have the ones I bought from Detailers Paradise... though they're defenitely not the cleanest. Could grab a new set of MF towels, too. Hm.

·
Registered
113 Posts
SouL,

this is what i would. I have not used zaino personally. The reason is i like to remove the swirls and defects. Zaino does not offer a true compound or polish. They offer chemical paint cleaners but not a true polish. Is that a bad thing? No not at all. It is just different from how i approach it.

First start with reading my "it's all about the wash" sticky at the top of the page. Most of those items can be purchased at detailers domain. You can reach
Philip Yiu
Detailer's Domain
Tel: 201-233-0003
Fax: 201-266-0710
[email protected]
http://www.detailersdomain.com

Phil can personally guide you through a process and product list to meet your budget, time constraints, and future needs.

So let me start with what i would get
Foam gun

Bucket with grit guard

Schmitt wash pad

Car wash soap (most any reputable kind will do)

Clay bar

2-3 bottles of detail spray or 1 gallon (should last a season)

porter cable or cyclo with pads

Menzerna Intensive polish. This is a true diminishing abrasive compound This step will go a long way to making that mile deep shine.

Menzerna 106ff This is a true polish that will finish out fantastic. It will also work well on extremely hard clear coats like audi, MB cerami clear, and lotus.

Menzerna finishing touch glaze. This will add more deep rich full color to the vehicle. It can fill minor scratches and swirls.

Menzerna FMJ sealant. 2 layers of this with a carnauba topper will last about 6 months of summer driving.

Carnauba topper, either P21s or Phil's new 49% white carnauba wax.

From there you will:
Wash the car
Dry the car
clay the car
tape the car
compound needed areas or whole car
Polish whole car
wipe down car with detail spray
Glaze the car
FMJ the car x2 (wait a day between layers)
Wax the car.

·
Banned
7,592 Posts
Zaino is awesome. You will love it. I was just on their site last night after applying some fresh Z5 to my car. Hopefully to be followed up by a couple layers of Z2 soon. The shine and depth is unbelievable, but it's the durability that will sell you. I have not used their all in one, but it looks interesting.

You may want to add the Z2 to your list as well, you use it after Z5 for even more depth. My friend on here Jamesgott, a local detailer says they are the easiest products he's ever used and really liked using them. You are correct, you don't really need Z2, you should already be blown away by Z5, but 2 puts it over the top- it will look like wet clearcoat on your car. Think of Z5 as getting a BJ. Z2- by someone who swallows. lol.

I can't wait to get in some of their new clear seal product too. If it's anything like thier other products it should be nothing short of phenomenal

For drying I just use an absorber synthetic shammy. Put a light mist of spray detailer over the car and wipe over, wring out, and the second wipe gets it all, spot free.

·
Registered
3,593 Posts
I had a friend's little cousin sit in my car which i have used Zaino on, I have used both Z2 and Z5:

You can purchase these to get you started:
Z7 - car wash
Z2 and Z5 - polishes - compliments each other
Z6 - spray to help you maintain the finish, clean light dust off
Z8 - very shiny finish for something like a car show or final detailing

·
insert clever title here
7,702 Posts
The only thing I don't like about Zaino is their product names. I have a hard time keeping it all straight, Z2, Z5, Z6, etc. I do use ZFX and like its effect. The first bottle I bought only lasted for a couple uses though; while there was plenty left afterwards, months of it sitting in the cabinet led to it being bone dry. I don't know if the lid wasn't on tight or what (most likely). Still, I liked it enough to go buy more... ;)

IMHO, the best thing about Zaino is it lasts a long time, makes it a good choice for my daily drivers.

·
Registered
5,218 Posts
Grouse said:
zaino does not offer a true compound or polish. They offer chemical paint cleaners but not a true polish.
Grouse,
I love Menzerna polishes as well, but Zaino offers ZPC, which in some sense is a true polish.

Soul,
I'd recommend getting Z-AIO just to have something to use now and then, in order to cleanse the paint. It's not very strong, but provides a good base for whatever wax/sealant you want to use afterwards. If you are feeling lazy and don't want to use Z2/Z5 afterwards, it also provides some protection.

ZFX is nice to have for multiple coats in one day, but if you get AIO, it is by no means necessary.

You don't have to get Z2 either, as Z2 and Z5 look similar. On my dark vehicle, I only use Z5. Z2 will give a slightly brighter pop, but it's not a big difference.

Z6 is a must, but consider Z8 if you have $20 to spare.

Stick with Detailer's Paradise Waffle weave microfiber towels. Wash the ones you have or get some new ones!

- J

·
Registered
113 Posts
Vantage said:
Grouse,
I love Menzerna polishes as well, but Zaino offers ZPC, which in some sense is a true polish.

Soul,
I'd recommend getting Z-AIO just to have something to use now and then, in order to cleanse the paint. It's not very strong, but provides a good base for whatever wax/sealant you want to use afterwards. If you are feeling lazy and don't want to use Z2/Z5 afterwards, it also provides some protection.

ZFX is nice to have for multiple coats in one day, but if you get AIO, it is by no means necessary.

You don't have to get Z2 as well, as Z2 and Z5 look fairly similar. On my dark vehicle, I only use Z5. Z2 will give a slightly brighter pop, but it's not a big difference.

Z6 is a must, but consider Z8 if you have $20 to spare.

Stick with Detailer's Paradise Waffle weave microfiber towels. Wash the ones you have or get some new ones!

- J

I guess it would also make sense to ask if he is planing to do this by hand or by machine. by hand zaino will likely give him more immediate results. by machine i think menzerna will have the edge.

·
Banned
7,592 Posts
well since he asked about Zaino in particular, we are assuming that is what he is looking for advice on. There are other 90 step threads on how to wash a car or "what is the best wax to use?"-poke-

Here is a neat article where a guy tested Zaino VS some other products on an NSX hood: http://www.ffcobra.com/magazine/waxtest.html

Here is a pic of a quick detail JamesGott did on my car recently. Rinse, clay bar, one coat each of z5, z2. Sure it could use more, as I daily drive it but pretty darn good for 1 quick coat of each and big improvement.

For local Atlanta people, James does an outstanding job detailing and his prices can't be beat. You supply the Zaino, he'll do this for you inside and out, wheels and all for $100. Leave him a good tip. He can even come to you if need be.

Attachments

·
Registered
1,096 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Thanks for the advice :)
I'll be doing this by hand. Anything that invovles a machine I'm not familiar with, I'll probably leave to paid professionals.

Gameson is selling a once-used Zkit-1... so I'll probably just pick that up since it has most of what I need.

I think I got it down, thanks!

Matt: Yes! The product names are very confusing.

·
Registered
1,571 Posts
I bought a package of Zaino products from a Zaino distributor at a car show last year. He put the package together after looking at my car. I'll check to see what is in the package and let you know.

·
Banned
7,592 Posts
Nope no shots under light. Actually james just took those. I'm assuming they were just in his garage.

·
Banned
7,592 Posts
Sorry for so many posts in this thread. But one more super cool thing about Zaino is you can call them and talk right to Sal Zaino. I've heard several testamonials of those he has personally taken time to help. In fact this afternoon since I had those pictures pulled up, I went ahead and sent them over to him. And when I got home he had actually personally wrote me quite a nice e-mail back. :up:

·
Registered
218 Posts
The thing I like most about Zaino products is that you can slop them on everything including black rubber and trim. They do not stain and leave no white residue. I'm going to try the all-in-one. I hope it also leaves no white residue. Has anyone used it?

·
Registered
1,720 Posts
don't pass up the clay bar! I love that thing.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Zaino

Use the Zaino Z-5 with the Accelerator. I have tried all the Zaino products on my BLACK Elise, which shows everything, and this one worked the best. I also used the quick clean spray after the third coat. It got rid of all the spots that had a little extra wax, and showed smears. The best thing about all the Zaino wax products is if you hit any rubber, plastic or metal, it will not leave any mark at all. The stuff is by far the best. Do not use the clay bar on any 3M tape. Hope this helps.

·
Registered
1,720 Posts
though the clay bar seems to be fine on the star shield.

1 - 20 of 39 Posts