The Lotus Cars Community banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
295 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
hi guys,

i am getting a 2bular header and sport cat and i was wondering if i should coat them with zirotec, since the original heat shield won't fit anymore....which are the pros and cons of this application besides that is expensive ? i have heard that with ceramic coating engine bay's temperatures drop but there is a great cance that the header ets destroyed because the heat cannot escape and it rusts inside!! (that is if you don't coat it from the inside, which i won't) i am all ears :D:D

·
Registered
36 Posts
hi guys,

i am getting a 2bular header and sport cat and i was wondering if i should coat them with zirotec, since the original heat shield won't fit anymore....which are the pros and cons of this application besides that is expensive ? i have heard that with ceramic coating engine bay's temperatures drop but there is a great cance that the header ets destroyed because the heat cannot escape and it rusts inside!! (that is if you don't coat it from the inside, which i won't) i am all ears :D:D
When I had my 93 Mazda RX-7 I used Jet Hot coatings for my downpipe, mid-pipe, and other various pieces in the engine bay. I personally had very good results with the coatings because they do coat both outer and inner portions of the exhaust. After a few laps at Virginia International Raceway the downpipe would be glowing red but managed to all stay together. Now, I can't confirm whether or not it indeed cools things down in the engine bay, I never measured it so I can't speak intelligently in that regards.

Your mileage may vary but I had good results with the coatings. Good luck.

Regards,

Steven

·
Registered
12,374 Posts
I had the factory headers that I installed on my Elan Jet-Hot coated (when the process was still fairly new). Prior to the ceramic coated (inside and out), the area around the cast iron header used to get so hot that putting my hand anywhere near the area of the headers would just about burn my hand - seriously, I couldn't put my hand there for more than a couple of seconds.

After Jet-Hot, the header area is relatively cool. I can put my hand there for as long as I feel like it. I've even bumped the header without really getting burnt (not that I'd recommend putting you had on the headers).

All in all, I wouldn't hesitate to ceramic coat any header - inside and out. Besides controlling the heat, it will greatly prolong the life of the headers. The factory (mild steel) headers on my Elan are still in perfect shape - i.e. no rust after 20 years.

·
Registered
12,374 Posts
is it mandatory to coat both inside and outside of the headers ?
No, but why wouldn't you? Coating the inside seals the metal, so it won't rust. It blocks the head from passing through the headers. It is even supposed to give you more power because it keeps the heat of the exhaust higher (which means that it will flow faster) and which theoretically makes more power, although reality is that it will not be a noticeable improvement in power (but it certainly won't hurt).

Bottom line is that coating inside and out has no downside (other than possibly a small additional cost over just coating the outside) and lots of upside. I'd never consider not having new headers coated inside and out.

·
Registered
7,115 Posts
i had my FF header "swain" coated - swain.com or something? google them... i am very satified - its a much thicker ceramic coating, not like a paint, but a cermic material bonded. one added benifit if it has a kind of "cast alum'ish" (kinda like the intake manifold) appearance... what i am saying is it looks very factory... and that has proved a benifit in CA and emissions station inspection

·
Registered
295 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
thx for the information !

however, i am asking for the inside coating because Jim at 2bular does not do the inside, or at least this is what i understood after talking with him. maybe i can ask him for a custom job...

from soem "googling" that i did , it seems that you have a point Tim. coating inside/out seems to be the ultimate solution ...

·
Registered
12,374 Posts
thx for the information !

however, i am asking for the inside coating because Jim at 2bular does not do the inside, or at least this is what i understood after talking with him. maybe i can ask him for a custom job...

from some "googling" that i did , it seems that you have a point Tim. coating inside/out seems to be the ultimate solution ...
Some places don't like to do the inside of used headers - the "junk" left behind by the exhaust can ruin the chemical bath that they have to dunk the headers into. That isn't a problem with new headers. If the shop you have in mind can't do the insides, I'd consider another shop.

When I had mine done those many years ago, I had no choice but to pack up the headers and send them across the country to Jet-Hot. Not an easy thing to do when I had managed to acquire what was probably the very last set of unused Lotus factory headers for my Elan. :eek: But it only took a week or so, and I had them back. It should be much easier to have things coated now days...

1 - 8 of 8 Posts