The Lotus Cars Community banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I know there are probably a few posts on here, but I searched and couldn't find any! I was wondering what your thoughts are about having a Lotus Elise as a Daily Driver and only car?

I am aware of the obvious concerns: rough ride, not easy to get in and out of, shoe limiting, space, loud, poor air conditioning, poor stereo, rain leaks, attention, and parking it.

I think I can deal with it because I'm very small (5'2") and used to driving performance cars and their characteristics as daily drivers (Competition M3 though it's cushy in comparison). My commute to work is only 3 miles. My boyfriend has an Elise so I am familiar with driving it. The only major concern I have is the air conditioning but I think with 3M clear tint and some minor mods, it might be OK.

Also, if anyone knows more about maintenance and reliability for daily driver / higher mileage use, that would be great.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks! I will read the thread. I am thinking this could work - I can actually sleep on a drive in the Elise.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I really think I could make this work as a daily. My reasons for getting it are that it's fun to drive, looks nice, reliable (Toyota drivetrain), and holds its value relative to other cars in its price range. Now I just have to see how much insurance is for it to be a daily and to find one.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
I would only drive it to work and school, both of which have good parking, and for performance driving in the mountains or at the track. I can work from home anytime for inclement weather. My boyfriend drives us everywhere else and has other cars, so I don't forsee any problems.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #41 ·
I agree, a 3 mile commute probably isn't the best for the engine. It doesn't cost $150-300 to change the oil, maybe if you go to the dealer. You can buy the special diesel Shell oil at Wal-Mart. Looking to buy a car this week, so it'll be unlikely that I'll find an Elise as it takes a few months to find the right one. Plus, it's probably a waste to get the same car as my boyfriend, it's better to diversify.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts